Vi editor for answering emails?

12

Vi editor for answering emails?

James Freer-2

Just in case anyone has wanted to use vim for editing emails.I had
wanted to use a text editor to speed up answering emails and
considered Mutt and Emacs. I had used Thunderbird for sometime and
liked the app. A text email client seemed the answer but i wasn't that
impressed by Mutt.

However, i'm not as knowledgeable as some and setting up Mutt was ok
but still involved quite a bit of work. I got it all working and did
appreciate your help.

Yesterday i came across a Thunderbird addon Muttador (still beta stage
- vi editor) and today came across a non-mozilla TB addon called
Exteditor...
http://globs.org/articles.php?lng=en&pg=2
some v.clever person has developed an external editor addon instead of
the TB editor. It allows emacs, vi, joe, gedit or whatever to compose
emails - good deal better than using Mutt.

Should be of interest to anyone who wants to say goodbye to the mouse
while editing emails. I always liked TB and like it even more... now!
Some may be interested in TBs ImportExportTools for archiving mail - i
don't know what folk do... this is the only email clinet i've found
that does the job.

james

Re: Vi editor for answering emails?

Tony Mechelynck

On 21/02/09 21:08, James Freer wrote:

> Just in case anyone has wanted to use vim for editing emails.I had
> wanted to use a text editor to speed up answering emails and
> considered Mutt and Emacs. I had used Thunderbird for sometime and
> liked the app. A text email client seemed the answer but i wasn't that
> impressed by Mutt.
>
> However, i'm not as knowledgeable as some and setting up Mutt was ok
> but still involved quite a bit of work. I got it all working and did
> appreciate your help.
>
> Yesterday i came across a Thunderbird addon Muttador (still beta stage
> - vi editor) and today came across a non-mozilla TB addon called
> Exteditor...
> http://globs.org/articles.php?lng=en&pg=2
> some v.clever person has developed an external editor addon instead of
> the TB editor. It allows emacs, vi, joe, gedit or whatever to compose
> emails - good deal better than using Mutt.
>
> Should be of interest to anyone who wants to say goodbye to the mouse
> while editing emails. I always liked TB and like it even more... now!
> Some may be interested in TBs ImportExportTools for archiving mail - i
> don't know what folk do... this is the only email clinet i've found
> that does the job.
>
> james

You might be interested in the "External Editor" extension for
Thunderbird http://globs.org/?lng=en which allows you to edit the emails
you send with your favourite text editor (such as gvim).

You have the body of a 19 year old.  Please return it before it gets
wrinkled.

Re: Vi editor for answering emails?

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

Hi all :)

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:33, Tony Mechelynck
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21/02/09 21:08, James Freer wrote:
>> Yesterday i came across a Thunderbird addon Muttador (still beta stage
>> - vi editor) and today came across a non-mozilla TB addon called
>> Exteditor...
>> http://globs.org/articles.php?lng=en&pg=2
>> some v.clever person has developed an external editor addon instead of
>> the TB editor. It allows emacs, vi, joe, gedit or whatever to compose
>> emails - good deal better than using Mutt.
>>

> You might be interested in the "External Editor" extension for
> Thunderbird http://globs.org/?lng=en which allows you to edit the emails
> you send with your favourite text editor (such as gvim).

Lately I'm giving a chance to GMail as email client, using the "It's all
text" firefox addon that allows me to use Vim to edit email (one of the
things I didn't like about GMail, not being able to use Vim to edit).

Before that I was using Claws Mail, that allows you to specify your
favourite editor and worked like a charm :)

Re: Vi editor for answering emails?

Ted Pavlic

> Lately I'm giving a chance to GMail as email client, using the "It's all
> text" firefox addon that allows me to use Vim to edit email (one of the
> things I didn't like about GMail, not being able to use Vim to edit).

A better solution is to use the "Vimperator" Firefox addon. Then you...

1.) Can use Vimperator as your external editor (for both textarea and
input_type=text).

2.) Can use Vim keybindings in every other part of Firefox.

--Ted

--
Ted Pavlic <[hidden email]>

   Please visit my ALS association page:
         http://web.alsa.org/goto/tedpavlic
   My family appreciates your support in the fight to defeat ALS.

Re: Vi editor for answering emails?

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

Hi Ted :)

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 16:48, Ted Pavlic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Lately I'm giving a chance to GMail as email client, using the "It's all
>> text" firefox addon that allows me to use Vim to edit email (one of the
>> things I didn't like about GMail, not being able to use Vim to edit).
>
> A better solution is to use the "Vimperator" Firefox addon. Then you...

Been there, done that... and it was like hell... For me, the "It's all
text" addon is much better than Vimperator. Thanks anyway for the
suggestion :)

> 2.) Can use Vim keybindings in every other part of Firefox.

And this is what caused most of my pains. I prefer to use Firefox with a
mouse ;) An editor is a different matter, though, because most of the
"work" is done using the keyboard, so moving using the keyboard is
natural. In the browser I seldom write anything, so I prefer to use the
mouse O:)

2009/2/24 Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Ted :)
>
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 16:48, Ted Pavlic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Lately I'm giving a chance to GMail as email client, using the "It's all
>>> text" firefox addon that allows me to use Vim to edit email (one of the
>>> things I didn't like about GMail, not being able to use Vim to edit).
>>
>> A better solution is to use the "Vimperator" Firefox addon. Then you...
>
> Been there, done that... and it was like hell... For me, the "It's all
> text" addon is much better than Vimperator. Thanks anyway for the
> suggestion :)
>
>> 2.) Can use Vim keybindings in every other part of Firefox.
>
> And this is what caused most of my pains. I prefer to use Firefox with a
> mouse ;) An editor is a different matter, though, because most of the
> "work" is done using the keyboard, so moving using the keyboard is
> natural. In the browser I seldom write anything, so I prefer to use the
> mouse O:)
>
> --
> Raúl "DervishD" Núñez de Arenas Coronado

I'm like you Raul - i liked the Mozex addon but i can't get the hotkey
to work properly.

james

Re: Vi editor for answering emails?

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

Hi James :)

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 17:18, James Freer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> A better solution is to use the "Vimperator" Firefox addon. Then you...
>>
>> Been there, done that... and it was like hell... For me, the "It's all
>> text" addon is much better than Vimperator. Thanks anyway for the
>> suggestion :)
>
> I'm like you Raul - i liked the Mozex addon but i can't get the hotkey
> to work properly.

I haven't ever used Mozex, but in "It's all text" I've set up a hotkey
to launch Vim.

Re: Vi editor for answering emails?

Ted Pavlic

> Been there, done that... and it was like hell... For me, the "It's all
> text" addon is much better than Vimperator. Thanks anyway for the
> suggestion :)

To each his own, I suppose.

I think for most people, hints (hit "f" and then dial your link) is
enough of a good experience to throw the mouse away (especially laptop
users who don't have much of a mouse). Then once you get going, you find
yourself "y"anking and "p"asting URLs and text much more quickly than
any mortal Firefox user.

(not to mention ~/.vimperatorrc, scripts, easy access to JavaScript from
the Vimperator command line, etc...)

But hey... whatever. As long as you're not editing your .vimrc with
emacs, I guess it's OK.

--Ted

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 17:50, Ted Pavlic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Been there, done that... and it was like hell... For me, the "It's all
>> text" addon is much better than Vimperator. Thanks anyway for the
>> suggestion :)
>
> To each his own, I suppose.

The extension is not for me, just that.

> I think for most people, hints (hit "f" and then dial your link) is
> enough of a good experience to throw the mouse away (especially laptop
> users who don't have much of a mouse). Then once you get going, you find
> yourself "y"anking and "p"asting URLs and text much more quickly than
> any mortal Firefox user.

Probably, and I think Vimperator is quite useful in laptops because
you're right: using the pad in a laptop is a PITA (at least for me). If
I ever replace my computer with a laptop (and I'm afraid I will do it
when mi current computer die) I plan to use an external keyboard and
mouse anyway...

> But hey... whatever. As long as you're not editing your .vimrc with
> emacs, I guess it's OK.

X''DDDD

Re: Vi editor for answering emails?

James Freer-2

2009/2/24 Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Ted :)
>
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 17:50, Ted Pavlic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Been there, done that... and it was like hell... For me, the "It's all
>>> text" addon is much better than Vimperator. Thanks anyway for the
>>> suggestion :)
>>
>> To each his own, I suppose.
>
> The extension is not for me, just that.
>
>> I think for most people, hints (hit "f" and then dial your link) is
>> enough of a good experience to throw the mouse away (especially laptop
>> users who don't have much of a mouse). Then once you get going, you find
>> yourself "y"anking and "p"asting URLs and text much more quickly than
>> any mortal Firefox user.
>
> Probably, and I think Vimperator is quite useful in laptops because
> you're right: using the pad in a laptop is a PITA (at least for me). If
> I ever replace my computer with a laptop (and I'm afraid I will do it
> when mi current computer die) I plan to use an external keyboard and
> mouse anyway...
>
>> But hey... whatever. As long as you're not editing your .vimrc with
>> emacs, I guess it's OK.

"Its all text" addon - i couldn't get to work on gmail [it does
mention in the documentation that it might not work for gmail and to
make sure the gmail editor is in 'text only mode'. For me i'd prefer
to use the moxex addon. For this i couldn't get the hotkey to work. I
chose F12 [as i think it's not used for anything else?] and one just
gets the right-click menu as if one used the mouse - then selecting
'x' then 'e' to get the editor. Have i missed a point somewhere? On
'Its all text' the hotkey worked fine.

thanks
james

Re: Vi editor for answering emails?

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

Saluton James Freer :)

On Tue 24 Feb 2009 20:11 +0100 James Freer dixit:
> "Its all text" addon - i couldn't get to work on gmail [it does
> mention in the documentation that it might not work for gmail and to
> make sure the gmail editor is in 'text only mode'. For me i'd prefer
> to use the moxex addon. For this i couldn't get the hotkey to work. I
> chose F12 [as i think it's not used for anything else?] and one just
> gets the right-click menu as if one used the mouse - then selecting
> 'x' then 'e' to get the editor. Have i missed a point somewhere? On
> 'Its all text' the hotkey worked fine.

I have no idea, but maybe Mozex doesn't want function keys... or maybe
the function key never arrives to Mozex and it's trapped by your window
manager, firefox itself or any other app :?

When I need to make sure that a hotkey is got by a certain app, I use
the "ñ" letter. No app uses such characters as hotkeys so it is VERY
weird it is being used: you can be 99.99% sure that it will make its way
to the application. If the application still doesn't react, then the
problem is elsewhere. If the application suddenly works, you should pick
another hotkey and not the function keys.

You say that the hotkey worked fine in "It's all text", so maybe the
problems is with Mozex handling hotkeys, no matter which hotkey you use
:?

Re: Vi editor for answering emails?

J.A.J. Pater

Ted Pavlic schreef:
> To each his own, I suppose.

To which I fully agree. Do what's convenient for you.

But really Raúl, maybe you could give Vimperator another try.
Sure, it takes some time to get used to it's modality, but once you're
used to that it's works like a charm.
Escaping to commandline and doing things you would normally have to
point and click and type.
e.g.
: open http://some.link.org/

Grtz,

Adriaan

2009/2/25 J.A.J. Pater <[hidden email]>:

> Ted Pavlic schreef:
>> To each his own, I suppose.
>>
> To which I fully agree. Do what's convenient for you.
>
> But really Raúl, maybe you could give Vimperator another try.
> Sure, it takes some time to get used to it's modality, but once you're
> used to that it's works like a charm.
> Escaping to commandline and doing things you would normally have to
> point and click and type.
> e.g.
> : open http://some.link.org/
>
> Grtz,
>
> Adriaan

I've just been giving vimperator a try. But how does one get back to
firefox menus to go to addons  to disable it?

thanks
james

Re: Vi editor for answering emails?

bostonvaulter

:addons

It is all explained in the help you get when you press f1.

Jason

2009/2/25 James Freer <[hidden email]>:

> 2009/2/25 J.A.J. Pater <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Ted Pavlic schreef:
>>> To each his own, I suppose.
>>>
>> To which I fully agree. Do what's convenient for you.
>>
>> But really Raúl, maybe you could give Vimperator another try.
>> Sure, it takes some time to get used to it's modality, but once you're
>> used to that it's works like a charm.
>> Escaping to commandline and doing things you would normally have to
>> point and click and type.
>> e.g.
>> : open http://some.link.org/
>>
>> Grtz,
>>
>> Adriaan
>
> I've just been giving vimperator a try. But how does one get back to
> firefox menus to go to addons  to disable it?
>
> thanks
> james

ok found it :addons

panicked a bit there! as i've got to get on with some work.

Vimperator... i may get keen on it

james

Re: Vi editor for answering emails?

Anton-3

James Freer wrote:

> I've just been giving vimperator a try. But how does one get back to
> firefox menus to go to addons  to disable it?

:set guioptions=mT

:)

--
Anton

2009/2/25, James Freer <[hidden email]>:

> 2009/2/25 J.A.J. Pater <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Ted Pavlic schreef:
>>> To each his own, I suppose.
>>>
>> To which I fully agree. Do what's convenient for you.
>>
>> But really Raúl, maybe you could give Vimperator another try.
>> Sure, it takes some time to get used to it's modality, but once you're
>> used to that it's works like a charm.
>> Escaping to commandline and doing things you would normally have to
>> point and click and type.
>> e.g.
>> : open http://some.link.org/
>>
>> Grtz,
>>
>> Adriaan
>
> I've just been giving vimperator a try. But how does one get back to
> firefox menus to go to addons  to disable it?
>
> thanks
> james

Re: [Bulk] Re: Vi editor for answering emails?

Frans-4

James Freer wrote:

> 2009/2/25 J.A.J. Pater <[hidden email]>:
>> Ted Pavlic schreef:
>>> To each his own, I suppose.
>>>
>> To which I fully agree. Do what's convenient for you.
>>
>> But really Raúl, maybe you could give Vimperator another try.
>> Sure, it takes some time to get used to it's modality, but once you're
>> used to that it's works like a charm.
>> Escaping to commandline and doing things you would normally have to
>> point and click and type.
>> e.g.
>> : open http://some.link.org/
>>
>> Grtz,
>>
>> Adriaan
>
> I've just been giving vimperator a try. But how does one get back to
> firefox menus to go to addons  to disable it?
>
> thanks
> james

:set guiOptoins+=mT
or
:help

Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: Vi editor for answering emails?

Frans-4

Frans Grotepass wrote:

> James Freer wrote:
>>>>
>>> To which I fully agree. Do what's convenient for you.
>>>
>>> But really Raúl, maybe you could give Vimperator another try.
>>> Sure, it takes some time to get used to it's modality, but once you're
>>> used to that it's works like a charm.
>>> Escaping to commandline and doing things you would normally have to
>>> point and click and type.
>>> e.g.
>>> : open http://some.link.org/
>>>
>>> Grtz,
>>>
>>> Adriaan
>> I've just been giving vimperator a try. But how does one get back to
>> firefox menus to go to addons  to disable it?
>>
>> thanks
>> james
>
> :set guiOptoins+=mT

Oops, typo...

> or
> :help

Re: Vi editor for answering emails?

Ted Pavlic

> :set guioptions=mT

And

        :set guioptions=<tab>

to see more options (with documentation).

Also,

        :dialog <tab>

to see a list of Firefox dialogs that you can call up using ":dialog".
Similarly,

        :emenu <tab>

to access menu items as an ex-mode command (e.g., "File.Work Offline").
You can then use standard Vim mappings to map commonly used commands
(e.g., Chatzilla) to ex-mode or vi-mode commands.

As in Vim, it's all in the...

        :help

And Vimperator 2.0 is nearly out of beta!

        --Ted

--
Ted Pavlic <[hidden email]>

   Please visit my ALS association page:
         http://web.alsa.org/goto/tedpavlic
   My family appreciates your support in the fight to defeat ALS.

Re: Vi editor for answering emails?

yosi izaq

Hi,

I've followed up on the it's all text addon to firefox. It works well for me.
One thing I'd like to improve though. My VIM is heavily configured
towards source code editing so it takes a lot of time to load. Is
there a quick way to force VIM to load with a minimal feature set with
the aim of getting fast load time?

Thanks,
Yosi

12