ViM, UTF-8, accents

Apoema

I am a portuguese speaker who is trying to use Vim to develop in Ruby, but I am having big trouble in the special character issue, like á ã â ç and etc...

I already set the Vim encoding to UTF-8, I type the character and they appear BUT they dont work very well, its work like this: every time I type "á" (or similar) its appear follow by a space like "á ", if I use this space to type another char a bug-question-mark char appear and the encoding of my file is changed to a ISO-8859-1, which stinks.

What should I do?