Vim 7.2.433 crash when reloading modified file.

Vim 7.2.433 crash when reloading modified file.

Patrick Texier-2
Hi,

Since latest patches (417-433), I have a crash when I want reload a file
modified by another software on Linux or Windows.

On Windows:
"GVIM a causé une défaillance de page dans
 le module GVIM.EXE à 0167:0051ed28.
Registres :"

On Linux, I don't have the message but it's a SEGV error.

If I start vim with -u NONE, I don't have the problem.
--
Patrick Texier

Re: Vim 7.2.433 crash when reloading modified file.

Tony Mechelynck
On 16/05/10 12:06, Patrick Texier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since latest patches (417-433), I have a crash when I want reload a file
> modified by another software on Linux or Windows.
>
> On Windows:
> "GVIM a causé une défaillance de page dans
>   le module GVIM.EXE à 0167:0051ed28.
> Registres :"
>
> On Linux, I don't have the message but it's a SEGV error.
>
> If I start vim with -u NONE, I don't have the problem.

Well, you know the (tedious but well-known) procedure to find out where
a bug comes from if -u NONE doesn't exhibit it:

- test with -u NORC and with --plugin to determine whether it's
something in your vimrc or in a plugin

- if it's your vimrc, comment away about half the code with :if 0 and
:endif, try, increase or decrease the commented part by about half,
wash, rinse, repeat, until you've isolatred the problem to a single line.

... Yes, if you have a big vimrc and many plugins, it can take some time...

Hint: Maybe it's the latest change you made?

"The Right Honorable Gentleman is indebted to his memory for his jests
and to his imagination for his facts."
                -- Sheridan

Patrick Texier wrote:

> Since latest patches (417-433), I have a crash when I want reload a file
> modified by another software on Linux or Windows.
>
> On Windows:
> "GVIM a causé une défaillance de page dans
>  le module GVIM.EXE à 0167:0051ed28.
> Registres :"
>
> On Linux, I don't have the message but it's a SEGV error.
>
> If I start vim with -u NONE, I don't have the problem.

It's caused by change 7.2.430.  I'll make a fix.
Thanks for reporting the issue!

44. Your friends no longer send you e-mail...they just log on to your IRC
    channel.

On Sun, 16 May 2010 13:04:54 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> It's caused by change 7.2.430.  I'll make a fix.
> Thanks for reporting the issue!

Thanks Bram. Patch 7.2.435 fixes the problem.
--
Patrick Texier