Vim 7.2 on CentOS 6 - set ruler has no effect

Vim 7.2 on CentOS 6 - set ruler has no effect

Farid
Hi,

I'm using CentOS 6, with vim 7.2.  For whatever reason, there is no row and column info at the bottom right corner.  I check the /etc/vimrc and set ruler is enabled.  What could be the problem?

--Farid

Re: Vim 7.2 on CentOS 6 - set ruler has no effect

Tony Mechelynck
On 02/10/11 02:09, Ismail, Mohd F. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using CentOS 6, with vim 7.2. For whatever reason, there is no row
> and column info at the bottom right corner. I check the /etc/vimrc and
> set ruler is enabled. What could be the problem?
>
> --Farid

What does Vim answer to ":echo has('cmdline_info')" (without the double
quotes but with the single ones)? If it's 0 (zero), then the 'ruler'
feature wasn't included at compile-time.

BTW, Vim 7.2 is obsolete now (though admittedly less than the Vim 5.x I
saw someone use recently). The current version is 7.3.329. If you're
interested, see
   http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial
   http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm

After a number of decimal places, nobody gives a damn.

Re: Vim 7.2 on CentOS 6 - set ruler has no effect

Benjamin Fritz

On Oct 1, 7:09 pm, "Ismail, Mohd F." <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using CentOS 6, with vim 7.2.  For whatever reason, there is no row and column info at the bottom right corner.  I check the /etc/vimrc and set ruler is enabled.  What could be the problem?
>
> --Farid

'ruler' has no effect if you have a custom 'statusline' setting. Is
this the case?

RE: Vim 7.2 on CentOS 6 - set ruler has no effect

Farid
Hi Tony,

When I type that command in vim window, it gives me nothing.  It just returns the cursor position to its initial position.  Am I supposed to type it some where else?

Hi Ben Fritz,

I looked into the vimrc and there is no statusline keyword anywhere in the file.  I didn't customize my vi and just use what ever was set up by CentOS people.

--Farid

On 02/10/11 18:24, Ismail, Mohd F. wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> When I type that command in vim window, it gives me nothing.  It just returns the cursor position to its initial position.  Am I supposed to type it some where else?

You should be using Vim in Normal mode, then type

        :echo has('cmdline_info')

followed by hitting Enter. A 0 (zero, meaning "no") or a 1 (one, meaning
"yes") should appear at bottom left of your Vim screen. Anything you
type will make it disappear again.

> Hi Ben Fritz,
>
> I looked into the vimrc and there is no statusline keyword anywhere in the file.  I didn't customize my vi and just use what ever was set up by CentOS people.

Aha! Is it ~/.vimrc or $VIM/vimrc or /etc/vimrc or something else? If
anything but the first of these, Vim will be in 'compatible' mode by
default. What do you see at the bottom of the screen if (in Normal mode)
you type

        :verbose set ruler?

(with the question mark), followed by hitting the Enter key?

> --Farid

Oh, and BTW, the custom of these lists is to reply below, not above, the
text you're replying to.

Idiot, n.:
        A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human
        affairs has always been dominant and controlling.

On 02/10/11 17:40, Ben Fritz wrote:

> On Oct 1, 7:09 pm, "Ismail, Mohd F."<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using CentOS 6, with vim 7.2.  For whatever reason, there is no row and column info at the bottom right corner.  I check the /etc/vimrc and set ruler is enabled.  What could be the problem?
>>
>> --Farid
>
> 'ruler' has no effect if you have a custom 'statusline' setting. Is
> this the case?

Yes, and the absence of the word "statusline" from the vimrc doesn't
mean it isn't set -- it can also be named "stl". Farid, try typing

        :verbose set stl?

in Normal mode, followed by Enter, and see what appears at bottom left
of your Vim screen.

191. You rate eating establishments not by the quality of the food,
      but by the availability of electrical outlets for your PowerBook.

RE: Vim 7.2 on CentOS 6 - set ruler has no effect

Farid
On 02/10/11 18:24, Ismail, Mohd F. wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> When I type that command in vim window, it gives me nothing.  It just returns the cursor position to its initial position.  Am I supposed to type it some where else?

You should be using Vim in Normal mode, then type

        :echo has('cmdline_info')

followed by hitting Enter. A 0 (zero, meaning "no") or a 1 (one, meaning
"yes") should appear at bottom left of your Vim screen. Anything you
type will make it disappear again.

> Hi Ben Fritz,
>
> I looked into the vimrc and there is no statusline keyword anywhere in the file.  I didn't customize my vi and just use what ever was set up by CentOS people.

Aha! Is it ~/.vimrc or $VIM/vimrc or /etc/vimrc or something else? If
anything but the first of these, Vim will be in 'compatible' mode by
default. What do you see at the bottom of the screen if (in Normal mode)
you type

        :verbose set ruler?

(with the question mark), followed by hitting the Enter key?

> --Farid

Oh, and BTW, the custom of these lists is to reply below, not above, the
text you're replying to.

Idiot, n.:
        A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human
        affairs has always been dominant and controlling.

Hi Tony,

I tried both with /etc/vimrc and ~/.vimrc (copying from /etc/vimrc to .vimrc in my home directory), and they both behaved similarly.

When I type :echo has('cmdline_info'), like I said, nothing happens.  The cursor just go back to its original position.  No 0 or 1 at the bottom left corner.  The command :echo has ('cmdline_info') remains there until I go into insert mode or type some other command.

When I type :verbose set ruler?, I got, at the bottom left corner, in red background E519:  Option not supported: ruler?

Below is the .vimrc file if it is of any help:

============================Begin .vimrc===============================

if v:lang =~ "utf8$" || v:lang =~ "UTF-8$"
   set fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,latin1
endif

set nocompatible " Use Vim defaults (much better!)
set bs=indent,eol,start " allow backspacing over everything in insert mode
"set ai " always set autoindenting on
"set backup " keep a backup file
set viminfo='20,\"50 " read/write a .viminfo file, don't store more
                        " than 50 lines of registers
set history=50 " keep 50 lines of command line history
set ruler " show the cursor position all the time
set showcmd
set number

" Only do this part when compiled with support for autocommands
if has("autocmd")
  augroup redhat
  autocmd!
  " In text files, always limit the width of text to 78 characters
  autocmd BufRead *.txt set tw=78
  " When editing a file, always jump to the last cursor position
  autocmd BufReadPost *
  \ if line("'\"") > 0 && line ("'\"") <= line("$") |
  \   exe "normal! g'\"" |
  \ endif
  " don't write swapfile on most commonly used directories for NFS mounts or USB sticks
  autocmd BufNewFile,BufReadPre /media/*,/mnt/* set directory=~/tmp,/var/tmp,/tmp
  " start with spec file template
  autocmd BufNewFile *.spec 0r /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/template.spec
  augroup END
endif

if has("cscope") && filereadable("/usr/bin/cscope")
   set csprg=/usr/bin/cscope
   set csto=0
   set cst
   set nocsverb
   " add any database in current directory
   if filereadable("cscope.out")
      cs add cscope.out
   " else add database pointed to by environment
   elseif $CSCOPE_DB != ""
      cs add $CSCOPE_DB
   endif
   set csverb
endif

" Switch syntax highlighting on, when the terminal has colors
" Also switch on highlighting the last used search pattern.
if &t_Co > 2 || has("gui_running")
  syntax on
  set hlsearch
endif

filetype plugin on

if &term=="xterm"
     set t_Co=8
     set t_Sb=?[4%dm
     set t_Sf=?[3%dm
endif

" Don't wake up system with blinking cursor:
" http://www.linuxpowertop.org/known.php
let &guicursor = &guicursor . ",a:blinkon0"

=====================End .vimrc=====================================

--Farid

Re: Vim 7.2 on CentOS 6 - set ruler has no effect

Tony Mechelynck
On 03/10/11 06:15, Ismail, Mohd F. wrote:
[...]
> When I type :verbose set ruler?, I got, at the bottom left corner, in red background E519:  Option not supported: ruler?
[...]

That's clear enough: the 'ruler' functionality was excluded at compile-time.

But I'm curious: try running

        vim --version > vim-version.txt

then pasting the file vim-version.txt in an email. Then we'll have a
better idea of how you can get a Vim version which includes that
functionality.

Do not meddle in the affairs of troff, for it is subtle and quick to
anger.

RE: Vim 7.2 on CentOS 6 - set ruler has no effect

Farid

On 03/10/11 06:15, Ismail, Mohd F. wrote:
[...]
> When I type :verbose set ruler?, I got, at the bottom left corner, in red background E519:  Option not supported: ruler?
[...]

That's clear enough: the 'ruler' functionality was excluded at compile-time.

But I'm curious: try running

        vim --version > vim-version.txt

then pasting the file vim-version.txt in an email. Then we'll have a
better idea of how you can get a Vim version which includes that
functionality.

Do not meddle in the affairs of troff, for it is subtle and quick to
anger.

Here it is.  I'll compile my own version then.  Is there a guide on what's best option to include?

VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Jun 25 2011 09:43:11)
Included patches: 1-411
Modified by <[hidden email]>
Compiled by <[hidden email]>
Huge version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
+arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
-clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
+cryptv +cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic
+emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path
+float +folding -footer +fork() +gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand
+jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap
+menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape +mouse_dec +mouse_gpm
-mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm -mouse_sysmouse +mouse_xterm +multi_byte
+multi_lang -mzscheme -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra +perl +postscript
+printer +profile +python +quickfix +reltime +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind
+signs +smartindent -sniff +startuptime +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax
+tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse
+textobjects +title -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual
+visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup
-X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
   system vimrc file: "/etc/vimrc"
     user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
  fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -O2 -g -pipe -Wall  -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1    -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE  -fstack-protector -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  -I/usr/lib64/perl5/CORE  -I/usr/include/python2.6 -pthread
Linking: gcc   -Wl,-E -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib64/perl5/CORE   -L/usr/local/lib -o vim       -lselinux  -lncurses -lacl -lgpm   -Wl,-E -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib64/perl5/CORE  -fstack-protector  -L/usr/lib64/perl5/CORE -lperl -lresolv -lutil -lc -L/usr/lib64/python2.6/config -lpython2.6 -lutil -lm -Xlinker -export-dynamic

--Farid

Re: Vim 7.2 on CentOS 6 - set ruler has no effect

Christian Brabandt
Hi Ismail,!

On Do, 06 Okt 2011, Ismail, Mohd F. wrote:

> Here it is.  I'll compile my own version then.  Is there a guide on what's best option to include?

[...]
> Huge version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
> +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
> -clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments

Are you sure, this is the same version which has the problem. set ruler
should work just find from this version. Could it be, there is another
vim in your path, may be a tiny vim or you called it vi? Try :version
from within the vim, that has the problem and look for +cmdline_info
(enabled ruler feature) or -cmdline_info (disbaled ruler feature)

regards,
Christian

From: Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 20:11:31 +0200
Print | Individual message | Show original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
Hi Ismail,!

On Do, 06 Okt 2011, Ismail, Mohd F. wrote:

> Here it is.  I'll compile my own version then.  Is there a guide on what's best option to include?

[...]
> Huge version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
> +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
> -clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments

Are you sure, this is the same version which has the problem. set ruler
should work just find from this version. Could it be, there is another
vim in your path, may be a tiny vim or you called it vi? Try :version
from within the vim, that has the problem and look for +cmdline_info
(enabled ruler feature) or -cmdline_info (disbaled ruler feature)

regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

You're right.  There are /bin/vi and /usr/bin/vim.  vim is the one with set ruler that works fine, while vi doesn't show that.  Thank you for pointing that out.

On 08/10/11 05:39, Ismail, Mohd F. wrote:

> From: Christian Brabandt<[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 20:11:31 +0200
> Subject: Re: Vim 7.2 on CentOS 6 - set ruler has no effect
> Print | Individual message | Show original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
> Hi Ismail,!
>
> On Do, 06 Okt 2011, Ismail, Mohd F. wrote:
>
>> Here it is.  I'll compile my own version then.  Is there a guide on what's best option to include?
>
> [...]
>> Huge version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
>> +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
>> -clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
>
> Are you sure, this is the same version which has the problem. set ruler
> should work just find from this version. Could it be, there is another
> vim in your path, may be a tiny vim or you called it vi? Try :version
> from within the vim, that has the problem and look for +cmdline_info
> (enabled ruler feature) or -cmdline_info (disbaled ruler feature)
>
> regards,
> Christian
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> You're right.  There are /bin/vi and /usr/bin/vim.  vim is the one with set ruler that works fine, while vi doesn't show that.  Thank you for pointing that out.
>
> --Farid

On RedHat and similar systems, you may have several Vim executables
installed:

/bin/vi is a "minimal" version with no arithmetic evaluation, no syntax
highlighting, no ruler, no split-windows, no multibyte support, etc. Its
only advantage is that it is guaranteed to be on a filesystem which is
always "mounted" even when running the system in single-user
emergency-repairs mode (runlevel 1 or S) and even if /usr is on
different filesystem which, in that case, may be left unmounted.

/usr/bin/vim is a normal version with most functionalities but no GUI.

/usr/X11R6/bin/gvim is a full-fledged executable with GUI. It can also
run in a terminal if the X server is not accessible or if invoked with
the -v command-line switch or from a "vim" softlink.

Since they come from distinct packages you may have one, two or all
three of them installed.

There are times when truth is stranger than fiction and lunch time is
one of them.