Vim 7.3a: Version number glitch in Makefile

Vim 7.3a: Version number glitch in Makefile

Tony Mechelynck
Vim 7.3a is out. However, its src/Makefile still has

VIMMAJOR = 7
VIMMINOR = 2

This means that it will install its runtime files under $VIM/vim72 at
install-time, but search for them under $VIM/vim73a at runtime.

Trying to start the new vim executable gives a lot of errors, and
finally gives me $VIMRUNTIME == $VIM. Then I did the following:

cd /usr/local/share/vim
mv -v vim72 vim73a
ln -sv vim73a vim72

to "rename" vim72 to vim73a, but softlink the old name to the new one.
Now the new Vim starts with no error, and $VIMRUNTIME == "$VIM/vim73a".

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake
when you make it again.
                -- F. P. Jones

Re: Vim 7.3a: Version number glitch in Makefile (OOPS for me)

Tony Mechelynck
On 15/05/10 21:47, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> Vim 7.3a is out. However, its src/Makefile still has
>
> VIMMAJOR = 7
> VIMMINOR = 2
>
> This means that it will install its runtime files under $VIM/vim72 at
> install-time, but search for them under $VIM/vim73a at runtime.
>
> Trying to start the new vim executable gives a lot of errors, and
> finally gives me $VIMRUNTIME == $VIM. Then I did the following:
>
> cd /usr/local/share/vim
> mv -v vim72 vim73a
> ln -sv vim73a vim72
>
> to "rename" vim72 to vim73a, but softlink the old name to the new one.
> Now the new Vim starts with no error, and $VIMRUNTIME == "$VIM/vim73a".
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

Oops, forget the above: something went wrong in how I had updated my
repository. Rather that find out what had gone wrong, I've updated to
the Vim73 branch, reapplied my local changes, and all is well.

Academic politics is the most vicious and bitter form of politics,
because the stakes are so low.
                -- Wallace Sayre

On 15/05/10 22:33, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> On 15/05/10 21:47, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>> Vim 7.3a is out. However, its src/Makefile still has
>>
>> VIMMAJOR = 7
>> VIMMINOR = 2
>>
>> This means that it will install its runtime files under $VIM/vim72 at
>> install-time, but search for them under $VIM/vim73a at runtime.
>>
>> Trying to start the new vim executable gives a lot of errors, and
>> finally gives me $VIMRUNTIME == $VIM. Then I did the following:
>>
>> cd /usr/local/share/vim
>> mv -v vim72 vim73a
>> ln -sv vim73a vim72
>>
>> to "rename" vim72 to vim73a, but softlink the old name to the new one.
>> Now the new Vim starts with no error, and $VIMRUNTIME == "$VIM/vim73a".
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Tony.
>
> Oops, forget the above: something went wrong in how I had updated my
> repository. Rather that find out what had gone wrong, I've updated to
> the Vim73 branch, reapplied my local changes, and all is well.
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.

Followup: There was a glitch after all: some 7.3a sources and runtimes
found their way into the default repository branch, but a new changeset
has corrected it after I started this thread. Thanks Bram!

Polymer physicists are into chains.

Re: Vim 7.3a: Version number glitch in Makefile (Finally got it right)

Tony Mechelynck
On 15/05/10 23:03, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> On 15/05/10 22:33, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>> On 15/05/10 21:47, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>>> Vim 7.3a is out. However, its src/Makefile still has
>>>
>>> VIMMAJOR = 7
>>> VIMMINOR = 2
>>>
>>> This means that it will install its runtime files under $VIM/vim72 at
>>> install-time, but search for them under $VIM/vim73a at runtime.
>>>
>>> Trying to start the new vim executable gives a lot of errors, and
>>> finally gives me $VIMRUNTIME == $VIM. Then I did the following:
>>>
>>> cd /usr/local/share/vim
>>> mv -v vim72 vim73a
>>> ln -sv vim73a vim72
>>>
>>> to "rename" vim72 to vim73a, but softlink the old name to the new one.
>>> Now the new Vim starts with no error, and $VIMRUNTIME == "$VIM/vim73a".
>>>

>>> Best regards,
>>> Tony.
>>
>> Oops, forget the above: something went wrong in how I had updated my
>> repository. Rather that find out what had gone wrong, I've updated to
>> the Vim73 branch, reapplied my local changes, and all is well.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Tony.
>
> Followup: There was a glitch after all: some 7.3a sources and runtimes
> found their way into the default repository branch, but a new changeset
> has corrected it after I started this thread. Thanks Bram!
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

There was another glitch, and it was mine: I forgot to take account of
the fact that the Makefiles in shadow directories are copies of the main
src/Makefile, not softlinks to it. However, my method of setting
configuration options (via environment variables) requires no change in
the Makefiles, so I can afford to soft-link them, which I did, and
finally the "make install" uses the /usr/local/share/vim/vim73a
directory tree.

The word "spine" is, of course, an anagram of "penis".  This is true in
almost fifty percent of the languages of the Galaxy, and many people
have attempted to explain why.  Usually these explanations get bogged
down in silly puns about "standing erect".