Vim 7.4 released!

Bram Moolenaar

Hello Vim users,

Announcing:  Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.4

A small number of problems have been fixed since 7.4b BETA.  It's now
tested sufficiently, time for a release!

The biggest additions since 7.3:
- A new, faster regular expression engine.
- More than a thousand fixes and small improvements.

Once you have installed Vim 7.4 you can find details about the changes
since Vim 7.3 with:
        :help version-7.4

Gratitude
---------

If you like Vim, please consider helping poor children in the south of
Uganda: http://iccf-holland.org

Where to get it
---------------

For MS-Windows most of you will want the self-installing executable:
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim74.exe

For Unix/Linux the best way to obtain Vim 7.4 is using Mercurial.
        cd vim
        hg update
More information here: http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php
The tag for the 7.4 release is v7-4

For Mac you probably want to use MacVim.  The 7.4 version should be
available soon: https://code.google.com/p/macvim/

Details and information about which files to download for what system:
        http://www.vim.org/download.php

If the main ftp site is slow, a list of mirror sites can be found here:
        http://www.vim.org/mirrors.php

The files available for download:

UNIX:
sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed:
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-7.4.tar.bz2

VARIOUS:
help files converted to HTML:
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/doc/vim74html.zip

MS-WINDOWS one-size-fits-all:
Self-installing, includes all runtime files, loads libraries dynamically:
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim74.exe

MS-WINDOWS separate files:
Runtime files:
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/vim74rt.zip
GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/7:
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim74.zip
GUI binary with OLE support:
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim74ole.zip
Console version for Windows NT/2000/XP/7:
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/vim74w32.zip
Sources for PC (with CR-LF):
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/vim74src.zip

For debugging:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim74.pdb
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim74ole.pdb
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/vim74w32.pdb

Omitted in this version are:
- The 16-bit DOS, OS/2 and Amiga versions, these are obsolete.
- The 32-bit console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
- The 16 bit MS-Windows version

Mailing lists

Subject specific lists:
Multi-byte issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-multibyte
Macintosh issues:  http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-mac

Before you ask a question you should search the archives, someone may
already have given the answer.

Reporting bugs
--------------

Send them to <[hidden email]>.  Please describe the problem precisely.
All the time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is
spent on improving Vim!  Always give a reproducible example and try to
find out which settings or other things influence the appearance of the
bug.  Try starting without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE".  Try
different machines if possible.  See ":help bugs" in Vim.  Send a patch
if you can!

Happy Vimming!

--
Q: How many legs does a giraffe have?
A: Eight: two in front, two behind, two on the left and two on the right

Re: Vim 7.4 released!

Björn Winckler
On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

Announcing:  Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.4

A small number of problems have been fixed since 7.4b BETA.  It's now
tested sufficiently, time for a release!

The biggest additions since 7.3:
- A new, faster regular expression engine.
- More than a thousand fixes and small improvements.

Once you have installed Vim 7.4 you can find details about the changes
since Vim 7.3 with:
        :help version-7.4

Gratitude
---------

If you like Vim, please consider helping poor children in the south of
Uganda: http://iccf-holland.org

Hi MacVim users,

I have uploaded a build of MacVim 7.4 (snapshot 70) for OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) here:

Targeted builds for Lion and Mountain Lion will follow.

I would also like to say thank you to Bram and all contributors for continuing to improve Vim!

Best wishes,
Björn

Problem, MacVim 7.4, rendering of Unicode supplementary characters in gvim

krbeesley

                                Problem: rendering of Unicode supplementary characters in gvim,
                                found when updating from MacVim 7.3(53) to MacVim 7.4(70)

Thanks to everyone involved for maintaining and updating MacVim, but I've found a little problem.

Old Environment (works perfectly for me)
        MacVim 7.3(53)

        Using gvim
        Using a keymap with lines like

                t <Char-0x1043B>
                I <Char-0x1042E>
                n <Char-0x1044C>
                aW <Char-0x10435>
                aJ <Char-0x10434>
                w <Char-0x10436>
                z <Char-0x10446>
                m <Char-0x1044B>

        that map simple keys and sequences of keys to supplementary Unicode
        Characters (Deseret Alphabet).  I also have a similar keymap for the Shavian Alphabet.

        Using a Unicode-encoded font that includes Deseret and Shavian glyphs.

        With MacVim 7.3, all works perfectly for me.
                I can select the Deseret keymap.
                The Deseret characters can be input to the buffer.
                When saved to file (UTF-8), the supplementary characters are encoded properly.
                The Deseret glyphs display properly in the gvim window.

                All was good.

New Environment
        The only change is the update to MacVim 7.4(70)
        Still in gvim, with unchanged keymap and unchanged font with supplementary glyphs.

        Now:
                The keymap still works.
                The Desert characters can still be input to the buffer.
                When saved to file (UTF-8), the supplementary characters are still encoded properly.

                **** BUT, the Deseret glyphs are NOT rendered properly. ****

For example, if I activate the Deseret keymap in 7.4 and enter

        naW

the keymap intercepts the 'n' and the 'aW' and inputs two supplementary characters to the buffer:

        <Char-0x1044C> (the Deseret n-letter)
        <Char-0x10435> (the Deseret 'ow' as in 'cow' letter)

The first character is displayed correctly using the Deseret n-letter.  But the second character is displayed as
an empty rectangle.

Similarly, if I type

        Iz

the characters

                <Char-0x1042E>
                <Char-0x10446>

are entered.  The first glyph is rendered correctly, but the second is displayed as an empty
rectangle.

If I enter

        taJm

it gets worse.  The 't', 'aJ' and 'm' are entered as

                <Char-0x1043B> (the Deseret t-letter)
                <Char-0x10434> (the Deseret i-as-in-time letter)
                <Char-0x1044B> (the Deseret m-letter)

correctly in the buffer, but the display shows

                the Deseret t-letter
                an empty rectangle
                the Deseret i-as-in-time letter

In short, the _rendering_ of Unicode supplementary characters appears to be broken in MacVim 7.4.
I also tested with Shavian characters, and the results are even worse.

If I save the buffer (created in 7.4) to file, the file is well-formed and correct (UTF-8, in my case).  If that file is read in using
MacVim 7.3, all the glyphs are rendered properly.  The problem seems limited to the _rendering_ of
supplementary Unicode characters in 7.4 (70).   I haven't updated since MacVim 7.3 (53), so I don't know
when the problem started.

I've returned to MacVim 7.3 (53).

Best wishes,

Ken

On 10Aug2013, at 08:20, björn wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
> Announcing:  Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.4
>

> A small number of problems have been fixed since 7.4b BETA.  It's now
> tested sufficiently, time for a release!
>
> The biggest additions since 7.3:
> - A new, faster regular expression engine.
> - More than a thousand fixes and small improvements.
>
> Once you have installed Vim 7.4 you can find details about the changes
> since Vim 7.3 with:
>         :help version-7.4
>

> Gratitude
> ---------
>
> If you like Vim, please consider helping poor children in the south of
> Uganda: http://iccf-holland.org
>
> Hi MacVim users,
>
> I have uploaded a build of MacVim 7.4 (snapshot 70) for OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) here:
>
> https://code.google.com/p/macvim/downloads/list
>
> Targeted builds for Lion and Mountain Lion will follow.
>
> I would also like to say thank you to Bram and all contributors for continuing to improve Vim!
>
> Best wishes,
> Björn

> ---

******************************
Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
P.O. Box 540475
North Salt Lake, UT
84054  USA

Re: Problem, MacVim 7.4, rendering of Unicode supplementary characters in gvim

Björn Winckler
On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 8:12 PM, Kenneth Reid Beesley wrote:

[...]

Go into the menu "MacVim -> Preferences...", select Advanced, and *untick* the box which says "Use Core Text renderer", and restart.  Does that fix the problem?

Björn

Re: Vim 7.4 released!

Björn Winckler
On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 4:20 PM, björn wrote:

I have uploaded a build of MacVim 7.4 (snapshot 70) for OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) here:

Targeted builds for Lion and Mountain Lion will follow.

I forgot to announce here that Lion and Mountain Lion builds are available now.

Björn

On 11Aug2013, at 12:50, björn wrote:

> Go into the menu "MacVim -> Preferences...", select Advanced, and *untick* the box which says "Use Core Text renderer", and restart.  Does that fix the problem?
>
> Björn

Hello Björn,

That fixed it.  Many thanks.

Ken

> [...]
>
> correctly in the buffer, but the display shows
>
>                 the Deseret t-letter
>                 an empty rectangle
>                 the Deseret i-as-in-time letter
>
> In short, the _rendering_ of Unicode supplementary characters appears to be broken in MacVim 7.4.
> I also tested with Shavian characters, and the results are even worse.
>
> If I save the buffer (created in 7.4) to file, the file is well-formed and correct (UTF-8, in my case).  If that file is read in using
> MacVim 7.3, all the glyphs are rendered properly.  The problem seems limited to the _rendering_ of
> supplementary Unicode characters in 7.4 (70).   I haven't updated since MacVim 7.3 (53), so I don't know
> when the problem started.
>
> Go into the menu "MacVim -> Preferences...", select Advanced, and *untick* the box which says "Use Core Text renderer", and restart.  Does that fix the problem?

Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
P.O. Box 540475
North Salt Lake, UT
84054  USA