Vim 7.4b ready for beta testing

Bram Moolenaar

Hello Vim users,

Announcing:  Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.4b BETA

This is the second BETA release of Vim 7.4.

A number of problems have been fixed since 7.4a.  If no big problems are
reported then I will release 7.4 soon.  Please report anything that
isn't right.  That includes a crash but also a typo in the documentation
or a missing file.

The biggest additions since 7.3:
- A new, faster regular expression engine.
- More than a thousand fixes and small improvements.

Once you have installed Vim 7.4b BETA you can find details about the
changes since Vim 7.3 with:
        :help version-7.4

Gratitude
---------

If you like Vim, please consider helping poor children in the south of
Uganda: http://iccf-holland.org

Where to get it
---------------

The best way to obtain the latest Vim 7.4 is using Mercurial.
        cd vim
        hg update
More information here: http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php
The tag for this beta version is v7-4b-000.

For MS-Windows most of you will want the self-installing executable:
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74b.exe

Information about which files to download for what system (don't use the
links, they are still for Vim 7.3):
        http://www.vim.org/download.php

A list of mirror sites can be found here:
        http://www.vim.org/mirrors.php

The files available for download:

UNIX:
sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed:
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/unix/vim-7.4b.tar.bz2

VARIOUS:
help files converted to HTML:
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/doc/vim74bhtml.zip

MS-WINDOWS one-size-fits-all:
Self-installing, includes all runtime files, loads libraries dynamically:
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74b.exe

MS-WINDOWS separate files:
Runtime files:
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74brt.zip
GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/7:
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74b.zip
GUI binary with OLE support:
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74bole.zip
Console version for Windows NT/2000/XP/7:
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74bw32.zip
Sources for PC (with CR-LF):
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74bsrc.zip

For debugging:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74b.pdb
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74bole.pdb
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74bw32.pdb

Omitted in this version are:
- The 16-bit DOS, OS/2 and Amiga versions, these are obsolete.
- The 32-bit console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
- The 16 bit MS-Windows version

Mailing lists

Subject specific lists:
Multi-byte issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-multibyte
Macintosh issues:  http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-mac

Before you ask a question you should search the archives, someone may
already have given the answer.

Reporting bugs
--------------

Send them to <[hidden email]>.  Please describe the problem precisely.
All the time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is
spent on improving Vim!  Always give a reproducible example and try to
find out which settings or other things influence the appearance of the
bug.  Try starting without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE".  Try
different machines if possible.  See ":help bugs" in Vim.  Send a patch
if you can!

Happy Vimming!

15. Five days in advance, tell your friends you can't attend their
    party because you're not in the mood.

Re: Vim 7.4b ready for beta testing

Björn Winckler
On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

[...]

Subject specific lists:
Multi-byte issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-multibyte
Macintosh issues:  http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-mac

Before you ask a question you should search the archives, someone may
already have given the answer.

Reporting bugs
--------------

Send them to <[hidden email]>.  Please describe the problem precisely.
All the time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is
spent on improving Vim!  Always give a reproducible example and try to
find out which settings or other things influence the appearance of the
bug.  Try starting without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE".  Try
different machines if possible.  See ":help bugs" in Vim.  Send a patch
if you can!

Happy Vimming!

Hi,

I've uploaded a build of MacVim 7.4b BETA (snapshot 69) for OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) to:

Targeted builds for Lion and Mountain Lion will appear as soon as Douglas gets a chance to build them.

Björn

Re: Vim 7.4b ready for beta testing

Douglas Drumond

2013/7/28 björn <[hidden email]>
Targeted builds for Lion and Mountain Lion will appear as soon as Douglas gets a chance to build them.

Mountain Lion is ok, I'm finishing Lion and I'll send both to Björn in a couple of minutes.

Re: Vim 7.4b ready for beta testing

Yuma Antoine Decaux

Just curious, is mac vim developed with objective c? I would like to know as though i really want a coding environment for my uni progression, none so far are accessible for the blind. You mentioned mac vim 7.4 beta for snow leopard. This is when the OS core transitioned to 64-bit. Can someone confirm the editing area is accessible to voice over users?

Thanks, and best regards

Yuma

"Light has no value without darkness"

On 29/07/2013, at 5:47 AM, björn <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Subject specific lists:

Bee

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:47:40 PM UTC-7, björn wrote:
> I've uploaded a build of MacVim 7.4b BETA (snapshot 69) for OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) to:
> https://code.google.com/p/macvim/downloads
> Targeted builds for Lion and Mountain Lion will appear as soon as Douglas gets a chance to build them.

Hi Björn

I compiled 7.4b BETA with minimum required PPC G3 and 10.4.11 Tiger. Runs great.

Would you like it?
If yes, where to post? https://code.google.com/p/macvim/downloads

Bill

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 4:09 AM, Bee <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:47:40 PM UTC-7, björn wrote:
> I've uploaded a build of MacVim 7.4b BETA (snapshot 69) for OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) to:
> https://code.google.com/p/macvim/downloads
> Targeted builds for Lion and Mountain Lion will appear as soon as Douglas gets a chance to build them.

I compiled 7.4b BETA with minimum required PPC G3 and 10.4.11 Tiger. Runs great.

Would you like it?

Great!  Lets wait until 7.4 is released though as there are not many people on Tiger anymore and it does take up some of my time to upload etc.  I'll have to give you my build script as well to ensure that it is uniform with the other builds.  I'll PM it to you when it is time.

Björn

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 1:59 AM, Yuma Antoine Decaux wrote:

Just curious, is mac vim developed with objective c? I would like to know as though i really want a coding environment for my uni progression, none so far are accessible for the blind. You mentioned mac vim 7.4 beta for snow leopard. This is when the OS core transitioned to 64-bit. Can someone confirm the editing area is accessible to voice over users?

Voice over support is spotty.  If you disable the Core Text renderer in the advanced preferences, then it will read the editing area, but it is not aware of things like splits, the command line, etc, so I'm not sure how useful it is.

The source code (of which the MacVim part is Objective-C and core Vim is C) is at https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim.

Björn

Re: Vim 7.4b ready for beta testing

Axel Kielhorn-2

Am 28.07.2013 um 21:47 schrieb björn:

> On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
> Hello Vim users,
>

> Announcing:  Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.4b BETA

Oh dear, this reminds me that I didn't investigate my crashing problem.

Well, here it is:

Vim 7.3.1184 works fine, 7.3.1185 crashes.

The change was adding

&& *reginput != NUL

to regexp_nfa.c (line 3942)

Axel