Vim 8 64-bit for windows 10?

boB Stepp
I tried the link given in the announcement, but this installed a
32-bit version of Vim 8.0.2.  Where can I find the 64-bit version?

TIA!

--
boB

Re: Vim 8 64-bit for windows 10? -> run 32bit

Sven Guckes-3
* boB Stepp <[hidden email]> [2016-09-14 04:36]:
> I tried the link given in the announcement, but this installed a
> 32-bit version of Vim 8.0.2.  Where can I find the 64-bit version?

  http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc
  Win64
      The 32-bit version of Vim runs fine on 64-bit windows.
      There was a 64-bit binary, but it
      wasn't used much and maintenance stopped.

well - this is what's available now:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/README

  -- version 8.0.2 --

   8021086  gvim80.exe       V8.0.2 complete self-installing package

  10754188  vim80rt.zip      V8.0.2 runtime files
   1435716  gvim80.zip       V8.0.2 GUI bin for Windows 95/NT and later
   1555188  gvim80ole.zip    V8.0.2 GUI bin with OLE and VisVim
   1285101  vim80w32.zip     V8.0.2 bin Windows NT/XP console
   3313504  vim80src.zip     V8.0.2 sources packed for MS-DOS

   5426176  gvim80.pdb       debugging info for gvim80ole.zip
   6491136  gvim80ole.pdb    debugging info for gvim80w32.zip
   5180416  vim80w32.pdb     debugging info for gvim80.zip

enjoy! :)

Sven

--
Vimfest 2016 on Sep16-18 in Berlin at IN-Berlin
2016-09-16/18 Fr-Sa VimFest http://vimfest.de/

Re: Vim 8 64-bit for windows 10? -> run 32bit

Eric Christopherson
On Wed, Sep 14, 2016, Sven Guckes wrote:
> * boB Stepp <[hidden email]> [2016-09-14 04:36]:
> > I tried the link given in the announcement, but this installed a
> > 32-bit version of Vim 8.0.2.  Where can I find the 64-bit version?
>
>   http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc
>   Win64
>       The 32-bit version of Vim runs fine on 64-bit windows.
>       There was a 64-bit binary, but it
>       wasn't used much and maintenance stopped.

I may be misremembering, but wasn't there some problem with creating an
"Edit in Vim" Explorer context menu entry when the bits of Explorer
don't match those of Vim?

--
        Eric Christopherson

Re: Vim 8 64-bit for windows 10?

Christian Brabandt
Am 2016-09-14 04:08, schrieb boB Stepp:
> I tried the link given in the announcement, but this installed a
> 32-bit version of Vim 8.0.2.  Where can I find the 64-bit version?

You can download 64bit versions from the nightly builds:
https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer
and here (non-official) builds:
https://tuxproject.de/projects/vim/

Best,
Christian

Re: Vim 8 64-bit for windows 10? -> run 32bit

boB Stepp
On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 10:25 PM, Eric Christopherson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016, Sven Guckes wrote:
>> * boB Stepp <[hidden email]> [2016-09-14 04:36]:
>> > I tried the link given in the announcement, but this installed a
>> > 32-bit version of Vim 8.0.2.  Where can I find the 64-bit version?
>>
>>   http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc
>>   Win64
>>       The 32-bit version of Vim runs fine on 64-bit windows.
>>       There was a 64-bit binary, but it
>>       wasn't used much and maintenance stopped.
>
> I may be misremembering, but wasn't there some problem with creating an
> "Edit in Vim" Explorer context menu entry when the bits of Explorer
> don't match those of Vim?

On a similar note, the reason I was looking for 64-bit Vim, is that I
believe I previously had problems with Python within Vim when I tried
to use my normal installation of 64-bit Python.  I had been getting
64-bit Vim from
https://bintray.com/veegee/generic/vim_x64/#
but there currently is no build for Vim 8.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016, Sven Guckes wrote:
>> * boB Stepp <[hidden email]> [2016-09-14 04:36]:
>> > I tried the link given in the announcement, but this installed a
>> > 32-bit version of Vim 8.0.2.  Where can I find the 64-bit version?
>>
>>   http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc
>>   Win64
>>       The 32-bit version of Vim runs fine on 64-bit windows.
>>       There was a 64-bit binary, but it
>>       wasn't used much and maintenance stopped.
>
> I may be misremembering, but wasn't there some problem with creating an
> "Edit in Vim" Explorer context menu entry when the bits of Explorer
> don't match those of Vim?

On a similar note, the reason I was looking for 64-bit Vim, is that I
believe I previously had problems with Python within Vim when I tried
to use my normal installation of 64-bit Python.  I had been getting
64-bit Vim from
https://bintray.com/veegee/generic/vim_x64/#
but there currently is no build for Vim 8.

Is there a list of the known third-party Vim builds online?

--
        Eric Christopherson

boB Stepp wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 10:25 PM, Eric Christopherson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 14, 2016, Sven Guckes wrote:
> >> * boB Stepp <[hidden email]> [2016-09-14 04:36]:
> >>
> >>   http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc
> >>   Win64
> >>       The 32-bit version of Vim runs fine on 64-bit windows.
> >>       There was a 64-bit binary, but it
> >>       wasn't used much and maintenance stopped.
> >
> > I may be misremembering, but wasn't there some problem with creating an
> > "Edit in Vim" Explorer context menu entry when the bits of Explorer
> > don't match those of Vim?
> >
> On a similar note, the reason I was looking for 64-bit Vim, is that I
> believe I previously had problems with Python within Vim when I tried
> to use my normal installation of 64-bit Python.  I had been getting
> 64-bit Vim from
> https://bintray.com/veegee/generic/vim_x64/#
> but there currently is no build for Vim 8.

Yes, if your interfaces are 64 bit you should use 64 bit Vim.  It uses a
lot more memory, that's why the 32 bit version is the default.

--
   A cow comes flying over the battlements,  lowing aggressively.  The cow
   lands on GALAHAD'S PAGE, squashing him completely.

Re: Vim 8 64-bit for windows 10?

boB Stepp
On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 2:08 AM, Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can download 64bit versions from the nightly builds:
> https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer
> and here (non-official) builds:
> https://tuxproject.de/projects/vim/
Thanks, Christian!

I downloaded the self-extracting package from the tuxproject link.  So
far all looks good.  However, there is a cautionary comment on the
page which reads:

"You'll need to have the appropriate DLL files in your Vim directory
or somewhere in your %PATH% to make them work. They're not included."

Which DLL files are you referring to?

Thanks!
boB

Re: Vim 8 64-bit for windows 10?

Christian Brabandt
Hi boB!

On Mi, 14 Sep 2016, boB Stepp wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 2:08 AM, Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > You can download 64bit versions from the nightly builds:
> > https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer
> > and here (non-official) builds:
> > https://tuxproject.de/projects/vim/
> Thanks, Christian!
>
> I downloaded the self-extracting package from the tuxproject link.  So
> far all looks good.  However, there is a cautionary comment on the
> page which reads:
>
> "You'll need to have the appropriate DLL files in your Vim directory
> or somewhere in your %PATH% to make them work. They're not included."
>
> Which DLL files are you referring to?

While the binary Vims distributed at the vim-win32-installer repository
are build to include the various scripting engines (python2.7/3, lua,
perl, etc), to make use of those features you need to install those
scripting engines separatly, else you won't be able to use any of those
features.

Best,
Christian
--
Genieße dein Leben ständig, denn du bist länger tot als lebendig.

Re: Vim 8 64-bit for windows 10?

boB Stepp
On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 5:04 AM, Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mi, 14 Sep 2016, boB Stepp wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 2:08 AM, Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > You can download 64bit versions from the nightly builds:
>> > https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer
>> > and here (non-official) builds:
>> > https://tuxproject.de/projects/vim/

>> I downloaded the self-extracting package from the tuxproject link.  So
>> far all looks good.  However, there is a cautionary comment on the
>> page which reads:
>>
>> "You'll need to have the appropriate DLL files in your Vim directory
>> or somewhere in your %PATH% to make them work. They're not included."
>>
>> Which DLL files are you referring to?
>
> While the binary Vims distributed at the vim-win32-installer repository
> are build to include the various scripting engines (python2.7/3, lua,
> perl, etc), to make use of those features you need to install those
> scripting engines separatly, else you won't be able to use any of those
> features.
That's what I was hoping you meant.  One further question:  If I
should need a language that I am not currently using in the future,
install the language AFTER I installed Vim, will Vim find the new
language as long as I ensure the language's executable is included in
PATH?

Thanks!
boB

Re: Vim 8 64-bit for windows 10?

Christian Brabandt
Hi boB!

On Fr, 16 Sep 2016, boB Stepp wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 5:04 AM, Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> I downloaded the self-extracting package from the tuxproject link.  So
> >> far all looks good.  However, there is a cautionary comment on the
> >> page which reads:
> >>
> >> "You'll need to have the appropriate DLL files in your Vim directory
> >> or somewhere in your %PATH% to make them work. They're not included."
> >>
> >> Which DLL files are you referring to?
> >
> > While the binary Vims distributed at the vim-win32-installer repository
> > are build to include the various scripting engines (python2.7/3, lua,
> > perl, etc), to make use of those features you need to install those
> > scripting engines separatly, else you won't be able to use any of those
> > features.
> That's what I was hoping you meant.  One further question:  If I
> should need a language that I am not currently using in the future,
> install the language AFTER I installed Vim, will Vim find the new
> language as long as I ensure the language's executable is included in
> PATH?

Yes I believe so.

Best,
Christian
--
Ein Volk kann nicht auf seine Genies, sondern auf das Volk, auf die
Menge stolz sein - die Genies können auf die Genies es sein.