Vim 8 command line history not working

Grahame Blackwood-2
Hi

PCLinuxOS has just upgraded Vim to version 8.0.163 but since then the command
line history doesn't work for me. The problem is that any command listed by q/
and selected for action just returns me to the file being edited.

I've tried to find out if any of the plugins I use are responsible by starting
Vim with -u NONE but that hasn't helped because the command line history
normally accessed by q/ showed it was empty.

Two more attempts at finding the cause also failed:

1) I moved the entire .vim directory to another name hoping that the problem
might be caused by one of the plugins I use. This didn't make any difference to the problem. I checked that none of the plugins we listed in :scriptnames
and they weren't.

2) Then I tried changing the name of the .vimrc file to 'newvim' to no
avail - the problem is still there. Again I checked :scriptnames and nothing
showed except the standard scripts in /etc/vim and /usr/share/vim.

I put a request on the PCLinuxOS forum to see if anyone else has had the
problem but so far there's been no response to my post, although I'm sure I
can't be the only Vim user on the forum.

Has any one else had this experience and is there a cure or a better way to
find the cause of the problem?

Cheers

Re: Vim 8 command line history not working

Christian Brabandt
Hi Grahame!

On Mo, 16 Jan 2017, Grahame Blackwood wrote:

> Hi
>
> PCLinuxOS has just upgraded Vim to version 8.0.163 but since then the command
> line history doesn't work for me. The problem is that any command listed by q/
> and selected for action just returns me to the file being edited.
>
> I've tried to find out if any of the plugins I use are responsible by starting
> Vim with -u NONE but that hasn't helped because the command line history
> normally accessed by q/ showed it was empty.
>
> Two more attempts at finding the cause also failed:
>
> 1) I moved the entire .vim directory to another name hoping that the problem
> might be caused by one of the plugins I use. This didn't make any difference to the problem. I checked that none of the plugins we listed in :scriptnames
> and they weren't.
>
> 2) Then I tried changing the name of the .vimrc file to 'newvim' to no
> avail - the problem is still there. Again I checked :scriptnames and nothing
> showed except the standard scripts in /etc/vim and /usr/share/vim.
>
> I put a request on the PCLinuxOS forum to see if anyone else has had the
> problem but so far there's been no response to my post, although I'm sure I
> can't be the only Vim user on the forum.
>
> Has any one else had this experience and is there a cure or a better way to
> find the cause of the problem?

That is a regression, introduced with 8.0.159 and fixed by 8.0.172.

See issue #1370 https://github.com/vim/vim/issues/1370

Best,
Christian
--
Die Öffentlichkeit! Wie vieler Narren bedarf es, um eine
Öffentlichkeit zu ergeben?

Re: Vim 8 command line history not working

Grahame Blackwood-2
Oh, thanks very much Christian - I'll add another post to the PCLinuxOS forum and ask for an update to 8.0.172.

Cheers

On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 1:15:32 PM UTC, Grahame Blackwood wrote:

> Oh, thanks very much Christian - I'll add another post to the PCLinuxOS forum and ask for an update to 8.0.172.
>

> Cheers

> On 16 January 2017 at 12:13, Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Grahame!
>

> On Mo, 16 Jan 2017, Grahame Blackwood wrote:
>

> > Hi
>

> > PCLinuxOS has just upgraded Vim to version 8.0.163 but since then the command
>
> > line history doesn't work for me. The problem is that any command listed by q/
>
> > and selected for action just returns me to the file being edited.
>

> > I've tried to find out if any of the plugins I use are responsible by starting
>
> > Vim with -u NONE but that hasn't helped because the command line history
>
> > normally accessed by q/ showed it was empty.
>

> > Two more attempts at finding the cause also failed:
>

> > 1) I moved the entire .vim directory to another name hoping that the problem
>
> > might be caused by one of the plugins I use. This didn't make any difference to the problem. I checked that none of the plugins we listed in :scriptnames
>
> > and they weren't.
>

> > 2) Then I tried changing the name of the .vimrc file to 'newvim' to no
>
> > avail - the problem is still there. Again I checked :scriptnames and nothing
>
> > showed except the standard scripts in /etc/vim and /usr/share/vim.
>

> > I put a request on the PCLinuxOS forum to see if anyone else has had the
>
> > problem but so far there's been no response to my post, although I'm sure I
>
> > can't be the only Vim user on the forum.
>

> > Has any one else had this experience and is there a cure or a better way to
>
> > find the cause of the problem?
>

> That is a regression, introduced with 8.0.159 and fixed by 8.0.172.
>

> See issue #1370 https://github.com/vim/vim/issues/1370
>

> Best,
>
> Christian
>
> --
>
> Die Öffentlichkeit! Wie vieler Narren bedarf es, um eine
>
> Öffentlichkeit zu ergeben?
>
>                 -- Nicolas Sébastien de Chamfort

> ---

Hi All

Packagers at PClinuxOS have upgraded Vim to 8.0.194 and the problem I had with the command line history is resolved.

Thanks once again Christian and to the Packagers at PClinuxOS.

Re: Vim 8 command line history not working

Grahame Blackwood-2
Hi

This exchange has reminded me to make my donation to ICCF in thanks for the work of everyone who helps to maintain Vim.

Cheers