Quantcast

Vim Improvement suggester

Patrik Iselind
Hi,

I am interested in a way to be suggested what i can improve with my personal usage of Vim commands. So i thought it would be useful if Vim could record the commands i use somehow. Then once a month or something (cron job?) i could get a top 3 suggestion on how i can improve my Vim usage, both to improve speed but mostly to get rid of repetive key pressing that i might not be aware that i'm doing. It could save my joints later in life.

The design and architecture could of course be different from what i describe above but some form of "suggestion box" on how i can improve my personal Vim usage.

Does anyone know of some feature/functionality available that would, at least in part, take me there?

Anyone else that thinks this might be a good idea?

Looking forward to what the list have to say on this.

// Patrik

Re: Vim Improvement suggester

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov

> I am interested in a way to be suggested what i can improve with my personal usage of Vim commands. So i thought it would be useful if Vim could record the commands i use somehow. Then once a month or something (cron job?) i could get a top 3 suggestion on how i can improve my Vim usage, both to improve speed but mostly to get rid of repetive key pressing that i might not be aware that i'm doing. It could save my joints later in life.
>
> The design and architecture could of course be different from what i describe above but some form of "suggestion box" on how i can improve my personal Vim usage.
>
> Does anyone know of some feature/functionality available that would, at least in part, take me there?
>
> Anyone else that thinks this might be a good idea?
>
> Looking forward to what the list have to say on this.

1. Parsing &verbosefile, see :h 'verbose' and :h 'verbosefile'. Should
only work for Ex commands, but not for normal-mode commands.
2. Recording your input in `-w {scriptout}` and parsing to guess where
are commands there and where is regular input.

Though I am not thinking this would be a good idea: based on my
experience Vim commands are normally not a bottleneck, designing what
and how to write is.

> // Patrik

> ---

Re: Vim Improvement suggester

MarcWeber
Brams advice was
1) watch yourself
2) look at what takes most of you time
3) use mailinglist or chat to ask how to do things faster.

I've put some ideas here:
https://github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-manager/blob/master/autoload/sample_vimrc_for_new_users.vim

"The commands" you wan to record lack context, so no human/ai would be
able to suggest "how to do things better" without knowing your task.

MfG
Marc Weber

Re: Vim Improvement suggester

porphyry5
On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 10:00:53 PM UTC-7, Patrik Iselind wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am interested in a way to be suggested what i can improve with my personal usage of Vim commands. So i thought it would be useful if Vim could record the commands i use somehow. Then once a month or something (cron job?) i could get a top 3 suggestion on how i can improve my Vim usage, both to improve speed but mostly to get rid of repetive key pressing that i might not be aware that i'm doing. It could save my joints later in life.
>
> The design and architecture could of course be different from what i describe above but some form of "suggestion box" on how i can improve my personal Vim usage.
>
> Does anyone know of some feature/functionality available that would, at least in part, take me there?
>
> Anyone else that thinks this might be a good idea?
>
> Looking forward to what the list have to say on this.
>
> // Patrik
I find that the command-line window (:h q:) does this job pretty well in and of itself.  Nominally it holds only the 50 most recently used commands, but the point is that if you are constantly reusing or slightly modifying a previously used command, it tends to remain in q:.  You can adjust the number of commands it holds, and if you find that you are executing a massive number of trivial substitutions that would displace the commands you might want to preserve, you can prevent them being stored in the command line window by a pair of mappings such as these:
" Current bad word forms :s prototype in q:, then type char cursor should end on
nmap <F6> k]Syiwq:i%s/^V^R"/^V^R"/gc<Esc>F
" Run current q: command line without adding it to q: command history
nmap <S-F6> 0"cd$:q<cr>:@c<cr>
imap <S-F6> <Esc>0"cd$:q<cr>:@c<cr>

Den onsdag 19 april 2017 kl. 11:25:38 UTC+2 skrev MarcWeber:

> Brams advice was
> 1) watch yourself
> 2) look at what takes most of you time
> 3) use mailinglist or chat to ask how to do things faster.
>
> I've put some ideas here:
> https://github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-manager/blob/master/autoload/sample_vimrc_for_new_users.vim
>
> "The commands" you wan to record lack context, so no human/ai would be
> able to suggest "how to do things better" without knowing your task.
>
> MfG
> Marc Weber
Even if they lack context you can still figure out things like "You use j and k to move around a lot. A faster and less error prone way would be using seaching for example.". This could be one example of that the feature would bring to the table.

I'm not saying it needs a 100% coverage, just enough to get over the biggest hurdles.

Den onsdag 19 april 2017 kl. 10:22:25 UTC+2 skrev ZyX:

> 1. Parsing &verbosefile, see :h 'verbose' and :h 'verbosefile'. Should
> only work for Ex commands, but not for normal-mode commands.
> 2. Recording your input in `-w {scriptout}` and parsing to guess where
> are commands there and where is regular input.
>
> Though I am not thinking this would be a good idea: based on my
> experience Vim commands are normally not a bottleneck, designing what
> and how to write is.

The bottle neck for me is usually how i change my text. When i learn a new feature/command in Vim i usually think something along the lines of "I would have gained so much if someone had told me about this earlier". So abstracting the someone into something might be a good enough approximation.

Vim fluency would be attained faster with a bit of help. As we all know, the learning curve of Vim is not flat...

Re: Vim Improvement suggester

Shawn H Corey
On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 04:12:46 -0700 (PDT)
Patrik Iselind <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Even if they lack context you can still figure out things like "You
> use j and k to move around a lot. A faster and less error prone way
> would be using seaching for example.". This could be one example of
> that the feature would bring to the table.

I use / (search) to move around a lot. It is the fastest way I found (so
far). ☺

The second fastest is to use an after/ftplugin to preset marks.

--
Don't stop where the ink does.

        Shawn H Corey