Vim Outliner 0.4.0 Final Feature Request

Vim Outliner 0.4.0 Final Feature Request

Noel Henson
OK everyone. It's time for the final feature request for VO 0.4.0.
I already have a long list of requests since 0.3.4 was released. I'd just
like to get a good feel for what to include. I'm intentionally not
including the list I have because I don't want to limit the input to what
I have.

Happy New Year!

Noel

Re: Vim Outliner 0.4.0 Final Feature Request

Steve Litt
On Tuesday 02 January 2007 22:54, Noel Henson wrote:
> OK everyone. It's time for the final feature request for VO 0.4.0.
> I already have a long list of requests since 0.3.4 was released. I'd just
> like to get a good feel for what to include. I'm intentionally not
> including the list I have because I don't want to limit the input to what
> I have.
>
> Happy New Year!
>
> Noel

I'd like to see it default to not putting those dashes and plusses and stuff
before headlines on new Vim versions.

I'd like to see a more functional and less dangerous hoist.

I'd like to see a UI for the braindead 95% of the population. It should look
like MS Notepad with outlining features, rather than Vim with outlining
features :-). Then my kids could use it.

The following are probably pie-in-the-sky wishes, as I have no idea how to
accomplish them, but just incase someone knows how...

* Cloning
* Groupware
* Multiple parents (usually a bad idea, but once in awhile necessary)

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware
http://www.troubleshooters.com/

Re: Vim Outliner 0.4.0 Final Feature Request

Kresimir Kukulj
Noel Henson wrote:
> OK everyone. It's time for the final feature request for VO 0.4.0.
> I already have a long list of requests since 0.3.4 was released. I'd just
> like to get a good feel for what to include. I'm intentionally not
> including the list I have because I don't want to limit the input to what
> I have.

I would like closed folds to be the same color as indentation level.
But this may be impossible because (as far as I can see) color of folded
sections is always the same (vim syntax highlightning)...
Probably wishful thinking...

--
Kresimir Kukulj                      [hidden email]

Re: Vim Outliner 0.4.0 Final Feature Request

Steve Litt
On Wednesday 03 January 2007 11:06, Steve Litt wrote:
[clip]
> I'd like to see a UI for the braindead 95% of the population. It should
> look like MS Notepad with outlining features, rather than Vim with
> outlining features :-). Then my kids could use it.

Rereading the preceding, I realize it looks like I want to change the existing
UI, which of course is not my wish. I'd like to *add* an additional braindead
UI for people valuing "user friendly" over "fast", and for people just
starting out who use the braindead UI as a stepping stone to the "classic" VO
UI.

SteveT

Vim Outliner 0.4.0 Final Feature Request

Furash Gary
If I recall there's no current way to get your yanked/pasted outline in
at the level you're pasting... E.g.,

Aaa
        bbb
                ccc
Ddd
        eee

If you take eee and put it under ccc, you get

Aaa
        bbb
                ccc
        eee
Ddd

Which is what you want sometimes, but sometimes you want this

Aaa
        bbb
                ccc
                        eee
Ddd

This would probably require a special command  (paste indenting under
level)

Kind of neat, though

Re: Vim Outliner 0.4.0 Final Feature Request

Noel Henson
I've posted methods for creating a VO tool bar and adding to the menus.
What, specifically, do you suggest?

Happy New Year!
Noel

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 10:24, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Wednesday 03 January 2007 11:06, Steve Litt wrote:
> [clip]
>
> > I'd like to see a UI for the braindead 95% of the population. It
> > should look like MS Notepad with outlining features, rather than Vim
> > with outlining features :-). Then my kids could use it.
>
> Rereading the preceding, I realize it looks like I want to change the
> existing UI, which of course is not my wish. I'd like to *add* an
> additional braindead UI for people valuing "user friendly" over "fast",
> and for people just starting out who use the braindead UI as a stepping
> stone to the "classic" VO UI.
>
> SteveT

Re: Vim Outliner 0.4.0 Final Feature Request

Scott Scriven-2
> I'd like to see it default to not putting those dashes and plusses and
> stuff before headlines on new Vim versions.

That would be nice.

> I'd like to see a more functional and less dangerous hoist.

I guess I'm not the only one who had issues with it.  I tried it
on some test outlines, and ended up losing most of the outline...
so I haven't been using hoist at all.

> I would like closed folds to be the same color as indentation level.

That'd be nice too.

And I'd like to see the ability to use percent checkboxes both
with and without children.  For example:

[_] 50% Todo
        [_] 50% foo
        [_] 50% bar
                [X] a
                [_] b

Currently, hitting ,,cz or ,,cx in that outline will reset "foo"
to 0% and "Todo" to 25%.  So, I have to put dummy items under
"foo" and toggle them rather than just editing the percent
directly.

I'd also find it useful to have support for "[+]" as an indicator
for a partially-completed checkbox, "[ ]" for todos, and "[*]"
for completed items...  or perhaps just configurable checkbox
indicators.  For years, I've been using a slightly different
system:

        - todo
        + partially completed
        * completed
        x cancelled, or invalid
        ? undecided / unknown

It'd be nice if VO could be configured to use that instead.

Another feature request: I think this might be possible, using
vim's comment leaders...  make new items copy the type/style of
the item the cursor was just on.  So, if you've got the cursor on
a checkbox item and hit "o", the new line would begin with a
checkbox.  For example...  if I had an outline like this:

        [_] foo
        [_] bar

... and the cursor was on the "foo" line...  I either hit "o"
from command mode, or press enter in insert mode at the end of
the line...  the outline should become:

        [_] foo
        [_]
        [_] bar

These are just some wishlist items, though.  VO is already pretty
good as-is.  :)

-- Scott

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 12:38, Kresimir Kukulj wrote:

> Noel Henson wrote:
> > OK everyone. It's time for the final feature request for VO 0.4.0.
> > I already have a long list of requests since 0.3.4 was released. I'd just
> > like to get a good feel for what to include. I'm intentionally not
> > including the list I have because I don't want to limit the input to what
> > I have.
>
> I would like closed folds to be the same color as indentation level.
> But this may be impossible because (as far as I can see) color of folded
> sections is always the same (vim syntax highlightning)...
> Probably wishful thinking...

If we do that, I think it should be a configurable option and not default.
That nice green color is how I deduce there's a fold beneath the headline, as
I don't like + and - in column 1. There are probably others like me.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 14:13, Noel Henson wrote:
> I've posted methods for creating a VO tool bar and adding to the menus.
> What, specifically, do you suggest?

Because I'm so darned good at Vim (and humble too) it's hard for me to put
myself in the position of my kids. I was unable to find the toolbar to
download on http://vimoutliner.org.

As far as the VO menu tree, it would need to contain everything we do with ,,
commands and Ctrl+K and Ctrl+N for interoutline linking, and <warning, tough
programming described here> would have to do it correctly in insert or edit
mode, whether there is a selection or not. It would also need basic Vim
commands such as Insert/Edit mode toggle, insert at cursor, delete under
cursor, and the like. It would not have to have the rich variety of Vim
commands (like the several different ways to delete various movements)
because the person using the braindead mode understands he/she sacrifices
speed for "user friendlieness". Under such conditions, I'd imagine a Vim
ignorant person could use VO at a reasonable (though not fast) speed and
benefit from it. Such a person could later switch over to the real interface.

Like I said, that's just my impression. I'd need to see my wife and kids
hammering on braindead VO to know exactly what's needed.

Thanks

SteveT

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 12:11, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Wednesday 03 January 2007 12:38, Kresimir Kukulj wrote:
> > Noel Henson wrote:
> > > OK everyone. It's time for the final feature request for VO 0.4.0.
> > > I already have a long list of requests since 0.3.4 was released. I'd
> > > just like to get a good feel for what to include. I'm intentionally
> > > not including the list I have because I don't want to limit the
> > > input to what I have.
> >
> > I would like closed folds to be the same color as indentation level.
> > But this may be impossible because (as far as I can see) color of
> > folded sections is always the same (vim syntax highlightning)...
> > Probably wishful thinking...
>
> If we do that, I think it should be a configurable option and not
> default. That nice green color is how I deduce there's a fold beneath
> the headline, as I don't like + and - in column 1. There are probably
> others like me.

This is something we actually cannot do. Vim makes this impossible by the
way it only has one color setting for a closed fold. To fix this, Vim would
have to have individual colors settings for each fold level. When
approached with this feature, the dev community was not interested in it.
We could make our own patch but then we wouldn't be able to use a standard
vim installation.

Sorry about this one guys.

Noel

Re: Vim Outliner 0.4.0 Final Feature Request

Matěj Cepl
Noel Henson scripst:
> OK everyone. It's time for the final feature request for VO 0.4.0.
> I already have a long list of requests since 0.3.4 was released. I'd just
> like to get a good feel for what to include. I'm intentionally not
> including the list I have because I don't want to limit the input to what
> I have.

Here is the patch I use for building VO on Fedora. Could you consider it
for future release of VO?

Matěj

begin 644 vimoutliner-mc-build.patch.bz2
M0EIH.3%!62936;':>+```R]_@&8R0`!\____?^_?K[___^Y@"*OL[=V7*?>]
MZ^NNYYUEIZLH*WM0>@@DDAHFJ?BH]JGXIM"GZIZ93U#-0_4U&@TS4--&C0:!
MH`"2)4]-D:FFADGJGHAZC(&AZ@#(-`#0`&@`)2&TJC0``````````````S*D
MI!Z:0T`&@`T``,@&@````")*%/0IIZ0>H:&30-&F1H>H#(T/4T!H:`T:`)$A
M$PF4P)J9J;31!,AZF0TVH\ID``](-'J&FD@*P#X<_*N<;H=';,-NOYF1EQ[+
M,D;-ZI)Z,E/,RI8D8.U[<6Q!K1,;KB=DS":W)7]N,C@%DDK;]=MS6O93-^K'
M1G)L,(&P?"[DER#:!I)L08+OMR33')7!$0C&XP_NPI8&%X+'/A-V6UYB*_UI
M`WE4R-??GHZZ1MJ[(VJ[JVU:T95-123=&$IQO@%*"H/KTS:Y<U1EJY*''&CF
MSB@S^T4&RGFQ>R&XJPR/(_@\@D&."K]=Y/BVE\8]&JW#FDD!XSN]7-US21,3
M%DV9^\`I@F0&3'O9MS/(OMKOU%%DB_1R>+1HT/N[-]1;;ELS-!N<_6VN40:)
M2S^2($11SLMRQL`XFHZR0&."VY(J%8EB2Q>ZB90Z+V:LUXTA=S=+6,U>G?GL
M<_9%FC413;K\K;;>&2UY;99DV?Z%"G/R_TQ5L7T]496&X-A;86'FZ:TL\WW2
M0CL82YVJ^))"+2,RRG`DAN/CJT"AXL.CB]?^F\I.4.@0DDZAHB(4)))0000(
M0[N[PDDDDDDDG=KX*D@D%1F#&:Z"_8`"NK03,)@9"3P-];,ZTR\&^;U\>:_7
M%`]GCW/>_9&ZY/E!*)/J38&-$!(B*$/5/2P8&$B%03P]'<3T'=/1TB8\WFIN
MX]'L@-$"06,RH!5L0[&>*P'`D6-X%,;_>'<,6*<-A6Q%V=;2K$UC+-?G\9`(
M`0`Q*K611U.J.O6JS;4L.]O;FV+:N6/D<1,S@%BON(XP)@0M*(`Z0)(/"C,U
M-Z&`9:D0O@2$<@O<,?+WD]':&B(7NTT*.=#*=ZR]$!0X$V>U))DTL+5<[Y%Y
M(4AS(@BI3/L[G;H^J28N6YR4`#"JJYY:YYFN8='5F!0R<$0:=`&7@+PQO$IH
MOOM5KB[>$@ASB(K`K":J)2*0BT7=ZE.1C,:?-+.9RI5UU@1)YF[R9-W`#)R*
M.<W3`1%@69:.L[O)]0?6#")/&KPIQ5#2FC!?NX1YY0A!DF!E:%9>9A@A"$(0
MO2DE4``&2J```14```BL5``!DI",9C3MLVLI+6*!>&`('N%,*FNIRQ#@0+`T
M81A&$2$42'W";Y#-O]4Z.<=.!]M[@PY1!->C=*1P?N*#U]M_S^:F=[>T%VW3
M\H3%.1%)'83.XQC;DF0:.5#;>&BZ1D9$FS#&;9A*KX*+J7H6;+2[4FI-"*L5
MK6L5K6L5C&,8Q5BY30"A0L-QAU+2Y!0H6%`H4B2V#V$$R:NJZQ4IE*B142X&
M@;!ZT,8-C8V-@0'8DA'2"[.P`#-8"8'[!B"N9[L7&0NYN,-TLRIE-%!+\Z6-
MW\3(M"H:F;U'M;?%#Z6N]'/*T"[0&():60O55+GTKEE-!2HH2&A@D]MS"XB"
M[89"F.)/!H7*%2].0=;"*A@=*L86`W,%D",&3$H$=E20%!"$XA$:'N)F.,R<
MJ2ONN/BLHF#J??S0:_;@<,]M54J^+27SX2L?X)(L)&05(0A=IT6+V!@?DMBR
M@@='-Y?/B*@)$]!00(C#/(6M"%I;-EDRV1>[7L6R&6#$Q@6'8L@J",\,K%30
M8/"7J]$@T=>/%UG3O?#6C=BWS!LC7JK.+(1WFBL9H&,JQ=S7,%&7HK0(<38J
M:/!<+PLTO9=R53VBP49^YX";C3*>8.3>22S[EU#2:N1`EN#@-U0(&"+GG,"V
MNI`BO5:YH$1#&SF2`QHL=F!%QEYWPU=7'L1P7"Q2`JQJSVUBEH"20(HDSC#,
MUQFER#O/^)P>D$4Z9S)B!##-JU1BI92**H(KP'";2K,242-1T(0MTEA55)"O
M!VS5&A81%A.)$H)<$A:FU+2*C8J,A;%\EN#3(/>D(>1D"$@A0D5H<=(64`F1
M/8MKLTXKKTEO%PYZF@%9.<FA()$I[PL_Y`CR8ZZ%Z!&6AU9+>+;DJ0L][K65
M20$@3=L<TQD4YF:M`CT($3%63[M1.KB"J6XBJ6#<$`-C86H$-!#[Y72NK%UB
M$8\YT2RP7H$5,ON&ZFAFPH@1[DSO($5&$($5H$26"219\1LA8TM@J)<KB405
M^*^NA#(%E0(VB2LM2^10@1;BQ3@^@XY>+%6D@0-VI`=8HM30(I8R`9DB3N^S
M99@RLBM5D5D5JLG5G'U=*1T^@7/C="H81620(]"2!3MPRR0D&Y3:!$(2+C1Q
MD*\D5;]\!0QHI+:Y6VHHM1NKA(61<P6"R90T0'Q@PON/`2+`TS'+PGG!HG[X
M>WV=&1&=<^W.G\MA0#TH8EB5'`)L30,@]`;U-@4Y:$9:;O%+.V(0QE04Y80_
M'JJ)&XV`"K)!.\!>JTDEA;E;L2;$)"?/V_#W*XF,85Q,8PKC&,*XQC"N%]ZN
14ER,LE<?\7<D4X4)"QVGBP``
`
end

Re: Re: Vim Outliner 0.4.0 Final Feature Request

Steve Litt
Hi Matěj,

What does your patch do?

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware
http://www.troubleshooters.com/

(Legal Disclaimer) Follow these suggestions at your own risk.

Re: Vim Outliner 0.4.0 Final Feature Request

Matěj Cepl
Matej Cepl scripst:
> Here is the patch I use for building VO on Fedora. Could you consider it
> for future release of VO?
>
> Matěj

Err, this didn't went through correctly. Sorry. It is now on
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/tmp/vimoutliner-mc-build.patch

Matej

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma<at>jabber.cz
GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

There is no reason to suppose that most human beings are engaged
in maximizing anything unless it be unhappiness, and even this
with incomplete success.
    -- Ronald Coase
       Introduction to ``The Firm, the Market, and the Law''