Quantcast

Vim: Reading from stdin

Jorge Almeida
Is there some way to get rid of this _really annoying_ message we get
after reading from STDIN?

Jorge Almeida

Re: Vim: Reading from stdin

iler.ml
On 6/13/06, Jorge Almeida <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there some way to get rid of this _really annoying_ message we get
> after reading from STDIN?

Which message ? I don't get any message:
      date | vim -

Yakov

Re: Vim: Reading from stdin

Mikołaj Machowski
Dnia wtorek, 13 czerwca 2006 10:21, Yakov Lerner napisał:
> On 6/13/06, Jorge Almeida <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Is there some way to get rid of this _really annoying_ message we get
> > after reading from STDIN?
>
> Which message ? I don't get any message:
>       date | vim -

I get:

Vim: Reading from stdin

m.

Re: Vim: Reading from stdin

John (Eljay) Love-Jensen
Hi Mikolaj,

> I get:
>
> Vim: Reading from stdin

What happens when you do this:

date | /usr/bin/vim -u NONE -

Assuming that your vim is installed at /usr/bin/vim.

What version of Vim are you using?

--Eljay

Re: Vim: Reading from stdin

Jorge Almeida
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, John Love-Jensen wrote:

> Hi Mikolaj,
>
>> I get:
>>
>> Vim: Reading from stdin
>
> What happens when you do this:
>
> date | /usr/bin/vim -u NONE -

Vim does its job, and after quitting vim I get:
  jorge@jmaa ~ $ date | /usr/bin/vim -u NONE -
  Vim: Reading from stdin...

> What version of Vim are you using?

:version
VIM - Vi IMproved 6.4 (2005 Oct 15, compiled Nov 16 2005 01:53:08)
(...)

OS is linux (gentoo), terminal is Konsole (from KDE), shell is bash.

Jorge Almeida

Re: Vim: Reading from stdin

John (Eljay) Love-Jensen
Hi Jorge,

> Vim does its job, and after quitting vim I get:

Actually, you are getting the Vim: Reading from stdin... first, and then Vim
does it's job.

When Vim quits, it restores the screen (available in some termcaps), which
includes the prior Vim message that it was reading from stdin.

I believe it is possible to change Vim's termination behavior such that it
does not restore the screen, rather it does a screen clear or just drops the
cursor to the bottom of the screen and exit (keeping the rest of just-quit
Vim's screen contents onscreen, except for the top line or two which may
scroll off, depending on your PS1 or PROMPT setting).

But that's different from the other poster's issue, where Vim would hang
(i.e., not "do its job").

--Eljay

Re: Vim: Reading from stdin

Jorge Almeida
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, John Love-Jensen wrote:

> Hi Jorge,
>
>> Vim does its job, and after quitting vim I get:
>
> Actually, you are getting the Vim: Reading from stdin... first, and then Vim
> does it's job.
>
> When Vim quits, it restores the screen (available in some termcaps), which
> includes the prior Vim message that it was reading from stdin.
>
> I believe it is possible to change Vim's termination behavior such that it
> does not restore the screen, rather it does a screen clear or just drops the
> cursor to the bottom of the screen and exit (keeping the rest of just-quit
> Vim's screen contents onscreen, except for the top line or two which may
> scroll off, depending on your PS1 or PROMPT setting).

That would be worse than the message! I don't want the remains of the
vim session visible. The problem is the message, which shouldn't be send
to sdtin in the first place. Ah, well...
> But that's different from the other poster's issue, where Vim would hang
> (i.e., not "do its job").

I think I didn't receive those mails...
> --Eljay

Thanks,

Jorge

Re: Vim: Reading from stdin

John (Eljay) Love-Jensen
Hi Jorge,

> That would be worse than the message!

You should modify the Vim source code so it does not emit the message, and
compile your own version.

Note:  the message is there so it does not appear that your machine is hung
if vim is being sent a large amount of input, or a input from a slow pipe.

It would be nice if -V0 would suppress the message, but alas.

Sincerely,
--Eljay

Re: Vim: Reading from stdin

Mikołaj Machowski
Dnia wtorek, 13 czerwca 2006 17:22, John Love-Jensen napisał:
> date | /usr/bin/vim -u NONE -

Still the same.

Vim7.017

m.