Vim/Ruby release!

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Vim/Ruby release!

Tim Pope-2
Hate to bring this up again, but I see Vim 7.2 is on the horizon and
I'd like to get the latest files into that release.  I know Bram
didn't much care for our last minute runtime file updates last time
but given that ruby embedding (in, e.g., vim script) is broken pretty
badly I think it'd be prudent to submit them anyways.  Doug, are there
any issues blocking a release you'd like me to take a look at?

Cheers,
Tim
_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vim/Ruby release!

Doug Kearns
Tim,

On 6/26/08, Tim Pope <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hate to bring this up again, but I see Vim 7.2 is on the horizon and
>  I'd like to get the latest files into that release.  I know Bram
>  didn't much care for our last minute runtime file updates last time
>  but given that ruby embedding (in, e.g., vim script) is broken pretty
>  badly I think it'd be prudent to submit them anyways.  Doug, are there
>  any issues blocking a release you'd like me to take a look at?

Yes, I noticed 7.2 was coming up fast.  Thanks for the reminder - no
apologies needed for that.

I'll push this out tonight after I've given it one last check for any
obvious regressions.

There were a couple of things I was planning on fixing but suspect I
won't have time prior to the 7.2 release.

Thanks,
Doug
_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vim/Ruby release!

Doug Kearns
In reply to this post by Tim Pope-2
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Tim Pope <[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip>

> but given that ruby embedding (in, e.g., vim script) is broken pretty
> badly I think it'd be prudent to submit them anyways.

You're referring to syntax highlighting here?

> Doug, are there
> any issues blocking a release you'd like me to take a look at?

Mark, did you want to make those changes to rubycomplete.vim that were
suggested by Bram a week or so ago?

Doug
_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vim/Ruby release!

Tim Pope-2
On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 03:42:03PM +1000, Doug Kearns wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Tim Pope <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > but given that ruby embedding (in, e.g., vim script) is broken pretty
> > badly I think it'd be prudent to submit them anyways.
>
> You're referring to syntax highlighting here?

Yes.  This was in 7.1 mind you.  It's long since been fixed.

I read my mail a bit out of order so take that into consideration if
my earlier message fails to take into account this thread.

Cheers,
Tim
_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vim/Ruby release!

Doug Kearns
In reply to this post by Tim Pope-2
Tim and others,

I've just sent the latest to Bram.

Regards,
Doug
_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vim/Ruby release!

Tim Pope-2
On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:10:03PM +1000, Doug Kearns wrote:
> Tim and others,
>
> I've just sent the latest to Bram.

Awesome, thanks.
_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vim/Ruby release!

Mark Guzman
In reply to this post by Doug Kearns
Doug Kearns wrote:
>
> Mark, did you want to make those changes to rubycomplete.vim that were
> suggested by Bram a week or so ago?
>
>  
Sorry I didn't reply, the maildir that I have this group going to got
corrupted due to a raid issue. Bram had CC'd me when it came up, so it
got covered that way.

As an aside, I've got the sources mirrored here:
git://github.com/segfault/vim-ruby.git


I've had a completion project running in the background and would like
some feedback on the overall concept. I'm spawning a ruby process per
buffer to handle completions for that buffer. Completion uses rinda in
the embedded ruby env to communicate with the ruby processes and provide
a list of values.

All of that is to get around some of the embedding flakiness that's come up.

Thoughts...
  --mg


_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vim/Ruby release!

Mark Guzman
Mark Guzman wrote:
> I've had a completion project running in the background and would like
> some feedback on the overall concept. I'm spawning a ruby process per
> buffer to handle completions for that buffer. Completion uses rinda in
> the embedded ruby env to communicate with the ruby processes and
> provide a list of values.
>
> All of that is to get around some of the embedding flakiness that's
> come up.
It's worth noting that I do not intend to have that dev codebase as part
of the upcoming release. My original message was a bit vague about that,
so I felt the need to clarify.

Cheers
  --mg

_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vim/Ruby release!

Tim Pope-2
In reply to this post by Mark Guzman
On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:06:48PM -0400, Mark Guzman wrote:
> As an aside, I've got the sources mirrored here:
> git://github.com/segfault/vim-ruby.git

Hate to sound like a broken record, but I'd really like to make the
move to git.  The only question I can see is who's repository will be
official (assuming we use github).  I don't fancy a recurring payment
for a vim-ruby github account just for this project.

Cheers,
Tim
_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vim/Ruby release!

Hugh Sasse
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Tim Pope wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:06:48PM -0400, Mark Guzman wrote:
>> As an aside, I've got the sources mirrored here:
>> git://github.com/segfault/vim-ruby.git
>
> Hate to sound like a broken record, but I'd really like to make the
> move to git.  The only question I can see is who's repository will be
> official (assuming we use github).  I don't fancy a recurring payment
> for a vim-ruby github account just for this project.

I'm not up to speed on git, I admit, but I've seen traffic to the
effect that Rubyforge supports it now:

http://drnicwilliams.com/2008/04/08/git-for-rubyforge-accounts/

http://tomcopeland.blogs.com/juniordeveloper/2008/04/rubyforge-now-h.html


>
> Cheers,
> Tim

         HTH
         Hugh
_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vim/Ruby release!

Doug Kearns
In reply to this post by Tim Pope-2
On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Tim Pope <[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip>

> Hate to sound like a broken record, but I'd really like to make the
> move to git.  The only question I can see is who's repository will be
> official (assuming we use github).  I don't fancy a recurring payment
> for a vim-ruby github account just for this project.

I certainly have no objections.

Regards,
Doug
_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vim/Ruby release!

Tim Pope-2
On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 02:21:41AM +1000, Doug Kearns wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Tim Pope <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hate to sound like a broken record, but I'd really like to make the
> > move to git.  The only question I can see is who's repository will be
> > official (assuming we use github).  I don't fancy a recurring payment
> > for a vim-ruby github account just for this project.
>
> I certainly have no objections.

I will investigate creating a git repository on Rubyforge in the near
future.  Could you make me a project admin on vim-ruby?

Cheers,
Tim
_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vim/Ruby release!

Doug Kearns
On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 3:53 AM, Tim Pope <[hidden email]> wrote:
<snip>

> I will investigate creating a git repository on Rubyforge in the near
> future.  Could you make me a project admin on vim-ruby?

Done.

Thanks,
Doug
_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vim/Ruby release!

Mark Guzman
In reply to this post by Tim Pope-2
<(15/07/08 10:26) Tim Pope>
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:06:48PM -0400, Mark Guzman wrote:

> Hate to sound like a broken record, but I'd really like to make the
> move to git.  The only question I can see is who's repository will be
> official (assuming we use github).  I don't fancy a recurring payment
> for a vim-ruby github account just for this project.
>
+1 to git.

Afaik github is free for open source projects, they have a 100mb repo
size limit on free accts. It's only when you want private or very large
repos that payment is required.

I'd assume the official repo would be at rubyforge.
  --mg

--
Those the gods wish to destroy they call promising.

_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel

attachment0 (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vim/Ruby release!

Tim Pope-2
On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 04:31:42PM -0400, Mark Guzman wrote:

> <(15/07/08 10:26) Tim Pope>
> > On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:06:48PM -0400, Mark Guzman wrote:
>
> > Hate to sound like a broken record, but I'd really like to make the
> > move to git.  The only question I can see is who's repository will be
> > official (assuming we use github).  I don't fancy a recurring payment
> > for a vim-ruby github account just for this project.
> >
> +1 to git.
>
> Afaik github is free for open source projects, they have a 100mb repo
> size limit on free accts. It's only when you want private or very large
> repos that payment is required.

The TOS prevent one person from having multiple free accounts.  That
means we couldn't have a shared repository we could all push to.

> I'd assume the official repo would be at rubyforge.

I think that's the route we should take.  Pity that means we can't
fully take advantage of the social aspects of github if we go that
route but for a small project like this I guess it doesn't matter.

Cheers,
Tim
_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vim/Ruby release!

Thomas Adam-5
In reply to this post by Mark Guzman
2008/7/15 Mark Guzman <[hidden email]>:
> Afaik github is free for open source projects, they have a 100mb repo
> size limit on free accts. It's only when you want private or very large
> repos that payment is required.

Well, repo.or.cz offers 200MB for instance...

-- Thomas Adam
_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vim/Ruby release!

Tim Pope-2
In reply to this post by Doug Kearns
On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 05:23:22AM +1000, Doug Kearns wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 3:53 AM, Tim Pope <[hidden email]> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > I will investigate creating a git repository on Rubyforge in the near
> > future.  Could you make me a project admin on vim-ruby?

Okay, I've done a prototype of the import and put it on github:

http://github.com/tpope/vim-ruby
git clone git://github.com/tpope/vim-ruby.git

Before officially switching over, does anyone see anything wrong?  I'm
looking for things like "you misspelled my name".

There's a lot of annoying $Id: ...$ chatter in the history.  I can
squash them all to $Id$ to eliminate that noise if people think that's
a good idea.  One of the first commits on the new repository needs to
get rid of them entirely since git doesn't support it.  (Do we need
some sort of replacement identifier like a version number?)

Cheers,
Tim
_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vim/Ruby release!

Tim Pope-2
On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 05:11:34PM -0400, Tim Pope wrote:

> Okay, I've done a prototype of the import and put it on github:
>
> http://github.com/tpope/vim-ruby
> git clone git://github.com/tpope/vim-ruby.git
>
> Before officially switching over, does anyone see anything wrong?  I'm
> looking for things like "you misspelled my name".
>
> There's a lot of annoying $Id: ...$ chatter in the history.  I can
> squash them all to $Id$ to eliminate that noise if people think that's
> a good idea.  One of the first commits on the new repository needs to
> get rid of them entirely since git doesn't support it.  (Do we need
> some sort of replacement identifier like a version number?)

Err, one more thing.  Is it worth rethinking the ChangeLog policy?
My general feeling is that the git history is so easy to work with,
keeping a ChangeLog is no longer necessary.  But I do see value in
consistently maintaining it throughout the projects history rather
than switching to the SCM log halfway through.  Food for thought.
_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vim/Ruby release!

Thomas Adam-5
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:17:15 -0400
Tim Pope <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 05:11:34PM -0400, Tim Pope wrote:
> > There's a lot of annoying $Id: ...$ chatter in the history.  I can
> > squash them all to $Id$ to eliminate that noise if people think
> > that's a good idea.  One of the first commits on the new repository
> > needs to get rid of them entirely since git doesn't support it.
> > (Do we need some sort of replacement identifier like a version
> > number?)

gitattibutes allows for $id$ expansion on git checkout -- and it's
useful when preserving history for a project migrating to GIT, for
instance.
 
> Err, one more thing.  Is it worth rethinking the ChangeLog policy?

c.f. git shortlog to generate such a file.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"It was the cruelest game I've ever played and it's played inside my
head." -- "Hush The Warmth", Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.
_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vim/Ruby release!

Doug Kearns
In reply to this post by Mark Guzman
2008/7/15 Mark Guzman <[hidden email]>:

<snip>

> I've had a completion project running in the background and would like some
> feedback on the overall concept. I'm spawning a ruby process per buffer to
> handle completions for that buffer. Completion uses rinda in the embedded
> ruby env to communicate with the ruby processes and provide a list of
> values.
>
> All of that is to get around some of the embedding flakiness that's come up.
>
> Thoughts...

Could you refresh my memory as to these issues?

My only concern is that in working around it we neglect making
improvements to Vim's Ruby interface.  I know Tim was doing some work
on it last year but I'm not sure of the end result.

Regards,
Doug
_______________________________________________
vim-ruby-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/vim-ruby-devel
12
Loading...