Vim Tutorial

Garrett Whelan
I would like to create an interactive vim tutorial using vim script to intro    duce the main concepts(modes, regular expresssions, etc.). I read somewhere that vim comes with a tutorial, but I can't find anything. Typing

:help tutorial

Brings me to a MySQL tutorial.

My questions are 1) Is there a built in vim tutorial and 2) is there anythin    g similar to what I'm describing out here?
--Garrett Whelan

Re: Vim Tutorial

Tim Chase

> :help tutorial
>
> Brings me to a MySQL tutorial.

You're reaching for

   :help vimtutor

and as a help-tutorial side-note, you can find this with

   :help tut

and then pressing control+D to show the available help items.

> My questions are 1) Is there a built in vim tutorial and 2) is
> there anything similar to what I'm describing out here?

Once you've seen what the built-in tutorial does, you can make a
determination where it's lacking by your measure (e.g. I don't
think it gives a detailed introduction to regexps), perhaps
making "vimtutor2: Vimpire Strikes Back"...

RE: Vim Tutorial

JohnBeckett

Garrett Whelan wrote:
> :help tutorial
> Brings me to a MySQL tutorial.

So it does. The magic is

:help tutor

which tells you about vimtutor which is pretty good, if you take the
trouble to work through it.

John

Re: Vim Tutorial

scott-268

On Monday 02 February 2009 1:18 pm, Garrett Whelan wrote:

> I would like to create an interactive vim tutorial using vim script to
> intro    duce the main concepts(modes, regular expresssions, etc.). I read
> somewhere that vim comes with a tutorial, but I can't find anything. Typing
>
> :help tutorial
>
> Brings me to a MySQL tutorial.
>
> My questions are 1) Is there a built in vim tutorial and 2) is there
> anythin    g similar to what I'm describing out here?

1) yes

could it be easier to find?  well, with

    :helpgrep tutorial

and

nnoremap <silent> <Leader>t :call HelpgrepScrollers()<CR>

and

function! HelpgrepScrollers()
    silent! nmap <F6> :silent cnext<CR>
    silent! nmap <S-F6> :silent cprev<CR>
endfunction

and about 12 <F6>s i was finally brought to usr_01.txt,
"Using the Vim tutor", from which i see that had my original
help request been for 'tutor', i might have learned about
'vimtutor' a lot sooner

Tim's way is lots quicker

sc