Vim documentation index.txt using word "buffer" for the word "register"

Vim documentation index.txt using word "buffer" for the word "register"

rene.heymans
Dear All,

I'm preparing a presentation of Vim's essentials hence I'm extensively browsing through Vim's documentation. Unless I'm mistaken it seems that in the index.txt file the word 'buffer' is quite often used in lieu of 'register'. I found this by chance while I was looking for the word 'buffer' (:help index   :set hls    /buffer).

For instance:

|C| ["x]C 2  change from the cursor position to the end
                                   of the line, and N-1 more lines [into
                                   buffer x]; synonym for "c$"

Now if I follow the tag |C| (positioning my cursor on it, then typing CTRL-]) I read in change.txt:

                                                        *C*
["x]C Delete from the cursor position to the end of the
                        line and [count]-1 more lines [into register x], and
                        start insert.  Synonym for c$ (not |linewise|).

The notation '"x' unambiguously refers to 'register x'. So in the index.txt file I think that one should read 'register' in lieu of 'buffer' while the text in change.txt uses the word 'register' correctly.

This is mostly the case in section 2 (Normal mode) and once in section 2.4 (gp command). In other places (section 5 EX commands) the word 'buffer' seems to be always used appropriately.

These small discrepancies might confuse new users. Indeed clear vocabulary and precise definitions are important in the learning process.

I'm too new to Vim and far from an expert but I'd be very happy to contribute by reviewing the index.txt file and proposing an update with the word changes. It seems not too difficult: everywhere one reads '["x]' one should also read '[into register x]'.  However I'd prefer to pass my updates to someone with expertise and authority to review my proposed changes.

Note: I found it in Vim version 7.4 and 8.0

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
René

Re: Vim documentation index.txt using word "buffer" for the word "register"

Bram Moolenaar

René wrote:

> I'm preparing a presentation of Vim's essentials hence I'm extensively
> browsing through Vim's documentation. Unless I'm mistaken it seems
> that in the index.txt file the word 'buffer' is quite often used in
> lieu of 'register'. I found this by chance while I was looking for the
> word 'buffer' (:help index   :set hls    /buffer).
>
> For instance:
>
> |C| ["x]C 2  change from the cursor position to the end
>   of the line, and N-1 more lines [into
>   buffer x]; synonym for "c$"
>
> Now if I follow the tag |C| (positioning my cursor on it, then typing CTRL-]) I read in change.txt:
>
> *C*
> ["x]C Delete from the cursor position to the end of the
> line and [count]-1 more lines [into register x], and
> start insert.  Synonym for c$ (not |linewise|).
>
> The notation '"x' unambiguously refers to 'register x'. So in the
> index.txt file I think that one should read 'register' in lieu of
> 'buffer' while the text in change.txt uses the word 'register'
> correctly.
>
> This is mostly the case in section 2 (Normal mode) and once in section
> 2.4 (gp command). In other places (section 5 EX commands) the word
> 'buffer' seems to be always used appropriately.
>
> These small discrepancies might confuse new users. Indeed clear
> vocabulary and precise definitions are important in the learning
> process.
>
> I'm too new to Vim and far from an expert but I'd be very happy to
> contribute by reviewing the index.txt file and proposing an update
> with the word changes. It seems not too difficult: everywhere one
> reads '["x]' one should also read '[into register x]'.  However I'd
> prefer to pass my updates to someone with expertise and authority to
> review my proposed changes.
>
> Note: I found it in Vim version 7.4 and 8.0

You are right, these "buffer x" should be "register x".  There are a few
of them.  I'll fix it.

--
LAUNCELOT: I am, sir. I am a Knight of King Arthur.
FATHER:    'Mm ... very nice castle, Camelot ... very good pig country....