Vim easter egg in command line completion

Vim easter egg in command line completion

Yegappan Lakshmanan
Hi,

Try pressing Tab after entering the following (you need a space after Ni):

   :hi Ni

I haven't noticed this easter egg mentioned before.

- Yegappan

Re: Vim easter egg in command line completion

Tony Mechelynck
On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 4:48 PM Yegappan Lakshmanan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Try pressing Tab after entering the following (you need a space after Ni):
>
>    :hi Ni
>
> I haven't noticed this easter egg mentioned before.
>
> - Yegappan

Wow! Neither had I. That M* P* display is undoubtedly Bram's idea.

Best regads,

Re: Vim easter egg in command line completion

Dominique Pellé
Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Try pressing Tab after entering the following (you need a space after Ni):
>
>    :hi Ni
>
> I haven't noticed this easter egg mentioned before.
>
> - Yegappan

Yes, I noticed it a long time ago by looking at
code uncovered with tests. That code looked
a tad mysterious until I saw what it did.  I gave
up adding a test for it. as it would spoil the
fun :-) and it would also be slow.

This page has other vim easter eggs:
https://www.reddit.com/r/vim/comments/28pj01/vim_easter_eggs/
:hi Ni <Tab> was missing there. So is :smile

Dominique

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 1:24 PM Dominique Pellé <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Try pressing Tab after entering the following (you need a space after Ni):
>
>    :hi Ni
>
> I haven't noticed this easter egg mentioned before.
>
> - Yegappan

Yes, I noticed it a long time ago by looking at
code uncovered with tests. That code looked
a tad mysterious until I saw what it did.  I gave
up adding a test for it. as it would spoil the
fun :-) and it would also be slow.

I also noticed this when developing tests. I have now added
a test for this using test_override with ui_delay to avoid
the delay.

Regards,
Yegappan

BPJ

Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Try pressing Tab after entering the following (you need a space after Ni):
>
>    :hi Ni
>
> I haven't noticed this easter egg mentioned before.
>
> - Yegappan

Yes, I noticed it a long time ago by looking at
code uncovered with tests. That code looked
a tad mysterious until I saw what it did.  I gave
up adding a test for it. as it would spoil the
fun :-) and it would also be slow.

I also noticed this when developing tests. I have now added
a test for this using test_override with ui_delay to avoid
the delay.

Regards,
Yegappan

This page has other vim easter eggs:
https://www.reddit.com/r/vim/comments/28pj01/vim_easter_eggs/
:hi Ni <Tab> was missing there. So is :smile

The most hilarious if you know Swedish is that "Ni" is the Swedish word for "You" ("Vous") and when I was young that form of address (to a single person) was supposedly only used by stuffy old people who considered themselves better than others, so "knights who say Ni" evokes a very specific image for my generation of Swedes.

My favorite is clearly :h bar — how many meta levels are there? :-)

Re: Vim easter egg in command line completion

Andy Wokula
Am 28.06.2020 um 16:48 schrieb Yegappan Lakshmanan:
> Hi,
>
> Try pressing Tab after entering the following (you need a space after Ni):
>
>     :hi Ni
>
> I haven't noticed this easter egg mentioned before.
>
> - Yegappan

Nice find for the 20 year an-Ni!-versary of Vim 5.7
(version for PC compiled Jun 24 2000).

It works with Vim 5.7     O.o

--
Andy