Vim for Amiga 500/2000

Pär Moberg
Hello, I am looking for the "best" version of vim to run on a Amiga 500/2000 with 8megs of fast ram and KickStart 1.3.
I just gotten back in to classic Amigas and i want my favorite editor.
//Pär

Re: Vim for Amiga 500/2000

Shlomi Fish-2
Hi,

On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 13:15:06 -0700 (PDT)
Pär Moberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, I am looking for the "best" version of vim to run on a Amiga 500/2000
> with 8megs of fast ram and KickStart 1.3. I just gotten back in to classic
> Amigas and i want my favorite editor. //Pär

See https://vim.sourceforge.io/download.php#amiga . I'm not sure it will work
with only 8 MB of RAM and old versions of vim may have many bugs including
security ones.

<sarcasm>
Hello, I am looking for the best version of Vim to run on my portable ENIAC
emulator with a memory that consists of 256 units of 7 bits each.
</sarcasm>

;-)

Also see
http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/tinic.html#hamakor-discs-mozilla-1.1-1

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Re: Vim for Amiga 500/2000

Roman Dobosz
On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 13:15:06 -0700 (PDT)
Pär Moberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, I am looking for the "best" version of vim to run on a Amiga 500/2000 with 8megs of fast ram and KickStart 1.3.
> I just gotten back in to classic Amigas and i want my favorite editor.

I'm occasionally using Vim6 (downloaded from vim site[1]) with my
A1200. It works ok with basic editing, but I have to turn off all the
advanced stuff, like syntax and plugins because of the slowness even
on 030.

It will work on Kickstart 1.3, but you'll need arp.library for
example from aminet[2]. I was able to run it against bare A1200
(without fastram) and it worked well.

HTH

[1] https://vim.sourceforge.io/download.php#amiga
[2] http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/arp40_2