Vim for Web development

Renato Fabbri
I've heard of all types of rapid profiling and click-association
of text editors (or programming frameworks) with the web browser.

In developing websites and cloud gadgets (in javascript, python, php, sql-like, mongo, whatnot...)
using Vim, I simply used the browser's builtin developer's tools (mainly chrome's and firefox's) and Vim without any plugins (sometimes I used some, but rarely).

And it worked very well, for research and for hobby and for freelance money..

But I wonder and ask thee, what plugins do you use,
or mappings, commands, functions, etc..
How do you use Vim and other tools to develop for the web.

Vim is a text editor, ok, and in the Unix design of a programming
environment, what other tools do you use and how.

PS. I (only me?) might search on the history of this list and post here to gather some context.

PS2. (~ot) overleaf (for editing and rendering latex files) has a Vim mode for editing, which works quite well.
I do not know how that JS relate to official Vim directly, but I ask if there is any use for it in programming for the web that you would highlight.

Best,

Re: Vim for Web development

Tim Chase
On 2018-03-03 01:55, Renato Fabbri wrote:
> Vim is a text editor, ok, and in the Unix design of a programming
> environment, what other tools do you use and how.

I usually use tmux (and before that GNU screen) to wrap my whole
session.  Inside that I have

- vim open to edit my code

- usually a shell in which my dev server is running
 (Django in my case)

- another shell for miscellaneous operations (git, rsync/scp,
  renaming/moving files, executing tests)

- occasionally I'll open another window/pane to run
  lynx/elinks/links/links2/w3m against the dev server to see how it
  feels & looks.

This was before Vim/neovim sprouted a ":terminal" command so that's
also a possibility for a similar setup.  However, I haven't moved in
that direction yet and am pretty satisfied with my current tmux setup.

Re: Vim for Web development

Renato Fabbri
Vim's termianl-job mode is very handy for me.

I use byobu/screen sometimes, very fluently, it really is great.
But having the terminal inside vim to browse an copy within vim 's text editing environment is for me the best.
The major drawback I found is that vim session do no recover the terminal windows/buffers....
I use them to set apache or start a python server, deal with the git repository and everything I would need another console windows to do. But the terminal buffers can be hidden in Vim, and used only when convenient. That with times and jobs helps me ver much.
Channels I did not use until now afaik.

Re: Vim for Web development

Renato Fabbri
*timers and jobs
(the spell checker here is evil, I apologise and will be more careful)

Re: Vim for Web development

Tim Chase
On 2018-03-03 08:22, Renato Fabbri wrote:
> The major drawback I found is that vim session do no recover the
> terminal windows/buffers....

It depends on how you open your terminal windows.  If you just use

  :terminal

then if you use ":mksession", vim will only remember that you have a
terminal.  But if you use

  :terminal some_application --paremeter --other-parameter

then ":mksession" will remember what was running in that window and
re-spawn "some_application" with the appropriate arguments, not just
a blank shell when you reload the session.

For me, tmux (and GNU screen) provide additional benefits of

1) being able to monitor for silence/activity

2) the ability to re-connect to a session from a different connection
(start something on one machine, then ssh into the machine from
elsewhere and resume with everything where it was).

It doesn't detract from the functionality of :terminal as I do like
being able pause the :terminal and then interact by
yanking/moving/pasting with the full power of vim, not just a
vim-like approximation provided by tmux's copy-buffer mode.