Vim logo tatoo

Bryan Tidwell
Hello fellow Vimmers,

I know this is an unusual question, but am I allowed by copyright law to
get a tatoo of the vim logo?
Bryan

Re: Vim logo tatoo

Albie Janse van Rensburg
On Tuesday, January 14, 2020 at 1:12:01 PM UTC+2, Bryan Tidwell wrote:
Hello fellow Vimmers,

I know this is an unusual question, but am I allowed by copyright law to
get a tatoo of the vim logo?
Bryan

A quick web search for "tattoo legal logo" revealed this Quora discussion (https://www.quora.com/Can-I-legally-get-myself-tattooed-with-a-trademarked-logo). Maybe you will find it of use.

I believe the Vim logo is governed by the GPL (at least, the wikipedia page seems to think so. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vimlogo.svg), so you yourself may virally become GPL as well.

Regards,
Albie

Re: Vim logo tatoo

Bram Moolenaar

Albie Janse van Rensburg wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 14, 2020 at 1:12:01 PM UTC+2, Bryan Tidwell wrote:
> >
> > Hello fellow Vimmers,
> >
> > I know this is an unusual question, but am I allowed by copyright law to
> > get a tatoo of the vim logo?
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Bryan
> >

> A quick web search for "tattoo legal logo" revealed this Quora discussion
> (https://www.quora.com/Can-I-legally-get-myself-tattooed-with-a-trademarked-logo).
> Maybe you will find it of use.
>
> I believe the Vim logo is governed by the GPL (at least, the wikipedia page
> seems to think so. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vimlogo.svg), so
> you yourself may virally become GPL as well.

A logo is not code thus the GPL doesn't really work.  I definitely hope no
virus is involved!

It's fine to use the Vim logo for the good of Vim.  So using it for a
tattoo on a normal body part is allowed.  Not so much on buttocks.

--
MICHAEL PALIN PLAYED: 1ST SOLDIER WITH A KEEN INTEREST IN BIRDS, DENNIS, MR
                      DUCK (A VILLAGE CARPENTER WHO IS ALMOST KEENER THAN