Vim mail client

jupiter.hce
Hi,

Is there a vim mail client for linux? I found following one is very good,
it seems for window, and I could not make it work for linux.

http://www.ee.bgu.ac.il/~elentok/files/vim/vim-mail/

Thank you.

Jim

Re: Vim mail client

Tony Mechelynck

yhus Hu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a vim mail client for linux? I found following one is very good,
> it seems for window, and I could not make it work for linux.
>

> http://www.ee.bgu.ac.il/~elentok/files/vim/vim-mail/ <http://www.ee.bgu.ac.il/%7Eelentok/files/vim/vim-mail/>
>
> Thank you.
>
> Jim

There are many mail clients for Linux, and more than one of them can interface
with Vim. I've heard some people speak very highly of mutt, though myself I
don't use it. I use Thunderbird, which I think has an extension for invoking
an external editor such as vim; but for my needs the built-in composer is
adequate. (When I need outlandish characters such as strange accented or
non-Latin characters, then if they aren't on my Belgian keyboard -- which has
a lot of accents but no non-Latin -- I paste from gvim via the clipboard.)

IIUC, one difference is the many-small-modules approach (fetchmail + mutt +
vim + sendmail) vs. the all-in-one approach (Thunderbird, or, even more so,
SeaMonkey).

But soft you, the fair Ophelia:
Ope not thy ponderous and marble jaws,
But get thee to a nunnery -- go!
                -- Mark "The Bard" Twain

Re: Vim mail client

Suresh Govindachar`

  Jim asked about a mail client for linux;  although I use the
  following on Windows, when I created it, I did test it on linux:

  --Suresh

Re: Vim mail client

BartlebyScrivener-2

On Aug 2, 2:19 am, "yhus Hu" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a vim mail client for linux?

www.mutt.org

Re: Vim mail client

Sebastian Menge

Am Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:55:18 +0000 schrieb BartlebyScrivener:

> On Aug 2, 2:19 am, "yhus Hu" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a vim mail client for linux?
>
> www.mutt.org

I switched to alpine ( http://www.washington.edu/alpine ) (successor of
pine) recently. Works well with vim.

Even if OT: has someone pointers to a comparison between mutt and pine?
Pine is great for IMAP, how about mutt ?

Seb.

Re: Vim mail client

DervishD-4

    Hi Sebastian :)

 * Sebastian Menge <[hidden email]> dixit:

> Am Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:55:18 +0000 schrieb BartlebyScrivener:
>
> > On Aug 2, 2:19 am, "yhus Hu" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Is there a vim mail client for linux?
> >
> > www.mutt.org
> >

> I switched to alpine ( http://www.washington.edu/alpine ) (successor of
> pine) recently. Works well with vim.
>
> Even if OT: has someone pointers to a comparison between mutt and pine?
> Pine is great for IMAP, how about mutt ?

    I don't use Pine (not opensource from 3.9.2...) although I've tried
it, but I use Mutt and from time to time I use IMAP with it with no
problems. An IMAP mail folder behaves like a local one, so I don't
really feel any difference. And Vim works great with Mutt (I'm using vim
to reply this email ;))).

    Haven't tried alpine, either, so I can't tell.

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

Re: Vim mail client

BartlebyScrivener-2

On Aug 3, 3:42 am, DervishD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And Vim works great with Mutt

Indeed, but as Tony warned the OP, it can be confusing at first
getting used to the
many small-modules approach (fetchmail + mutt + vim + sendmail)
vs. the all-in-one approach (Thunderbird, or, even more so,
SeaMonkey).

In my case, getmail + maildrop + mutt + vim + exim4.

Once it gets set up it never breaks and then, as with vim, the more
you learn the faster you go.

rd

Re: Vim mail client

fREW Schmidt

> Even if OT: has someone pointers to a comparison between mutt and pine?
> Pine is great for IMAP, how about mutt ?

I used pine for a long time.  Pine is easy to use.  It's somehow
related to the nano editor; maybe the relation is just their design.
You can tell when looking at it, it even looks like nano.  Mutt is
extremely configurable.  You can even have it add your own custom
headers and stuff.

--
-fREW

Q: Why is this email 5 sentences or less?
A: http://five.sentenc.es

Re: Vim mail client

Dmitriy Yamkovoy

> I used pine for a long time.  Pine is easy to use.  It's somehow
> related to the nano editor; maybe the relation is just their design.
> You can tell when looking at it, it even looks like nano.  Mutt is
> extremely configurable.  You can even have it add your own custom
> headers and stuff.

If I understand correctly, the editor pico was based on the editor
built into pine, then nano was based on pico.

-Dmitriy

Re: Vim mail client

Tom Purl 2

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 10:42:37AM +0200, DervishD wrote:
>  * Sebastian Menge <[hidden email]> dixit:
>>
>> Even if OT: has someone pointers to a comparison between mutt and
>> pine?  Pine is great for IMAP, how about mutt ?
>
> ... but I use Mutt and from time to time I use IMAP with it with no
> problems. An IMAP mail folder behaves like a local one, so I don't
> really feel any difference. And Vim works great with Mutt (I'm using
> vim to reply this email ;))).

I've experienced issues accessing IMAP folders from Mutt, so I use
offlineimap to sync my IMAP folders locally.  It's the bset of both
worlds:  mutt can access mail locally and I can have one centralized
IMAP mailbox that I can access from multiple e-mail clients.

HTH!

Tom Purl