Vim maximise weirdness

A. S. Budden
Hi all,

This is probably one of the most minor problems I've ever had with
vim, but I thought I'd report it in case anyone understands what's
going on here.

I've just (finally) decided to upgrade to Vim 8.  I initially
installed the Windows executable version from
https://vim.sourceforge.io/download.php#pc but found it didn't support
python, so have compiled my own version.

When I start gvim, I often want to immediately maximise the window and
have tended to do this with a simple mapping ("map ,x :simalt ~x<CR>")
- start gvim and hit ,x - this is pretty instinctive now!  I know
there are probably other alternatives, but I like the default being
non-maximised and a quick key combination changing to maximised.

With the newly compiled version of vim (details below), `:simalt ~x`
doesn't do quite what I was expecting: the window gets bigger but the
drawn area doesn't - https://snag.gy/3VfqUe.jpg

Pressing Ctrl-L sorts it out, it's just slightly odd that it's not
redrawing to fill the screen.  Clicking on the maximise icon in the
top right hand corner of the window works correctly - it's just simalt
~x that doesn't.  Note that this was all tested with -u NONE -U NONE.
With the current executable from the website (8.0.69), the behaviour
is correct.

I know this is a really minor gripe; I just thought it was worth mentioning.

The compiler configuration I use is made up of two scripts,
configure_vim.cmd (http://pastebin.com/QwKtCHvy) and build_vim.cmd
(http://pastebin.com/apxqsz6f).  The :version information is here:
http://pastebin.com/raw/Gfusk1Fw

Al

Re: Vim maximise weirdness

Christian Brabandt
Hi A.!

On Di, 14 Mär 2017, A. S. Budden wrote:

> This is probably one of the most minor problems I've ever had with
> vim, but I thought I'd report it in case anyone understands what's
> going on here.
>
> I've just (finally) decided to upgrade to Vim 8.  I initially
> installed the Windows executable version from
> https://vim.sourceforge.io/download.php#pc but found it didn't support
> python, so have compiled my own version.
>
> When I start gvim, I often want to immediately maximise the window and
> have tended to do this with a simple mapping ("map ,x :simalt ~x<CR>")
> - start gvim and hit ,x - this is pretty instinctive now!  I know
> there are probably other alternatives, but I like the default being
> non-maximised and a quick key combination changing to maximised.
>
> With the newly compiled version of vim (details below), `:simalt ~x`
> doesn't do quite what I was expecting: the window gets bigger but the
> drawn area doesn't - https://snag.gy/3VfqUe.jpg
>
> Pressing Ctrl-L sorts it out, it's just slightly odd that it's not
> redrawing to fill the screen.  Clicking on the maximise icon in the
> top right hand corner of the window works correctly - it's just simalt
> ~x that doesn't.  Note that this was all tested with -u NONE -U NONE.
> With the current executable from the website (8.0.69), the behaviour
> is correct.
>
> I know this is a really minor gripe; I just thought it was worth mentioning.
>
> The compiler configuration I use is made up of two scripts,
> configure_vim.cmd (http://pastebin.com/QwKtCHvy) and build_vim.cmd
> (http://pastebin.com/apxqsz6f).  The :version information is here:
> http://pastebin.com/raw/Gfusk1Fw

Sounds familiar
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/1vNlh9tBnCk/oP75NAT8AAAJ

Unfortunately, there is no patch yet.

Best,
Christian
--
Genie ist Persönlichkeit mit zwei Groschen Talent
                -- Pablo Picasso

Re: Vim maximise weirdness

A. S. Budden
On 14 March 2017 at 10:19, Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi A.!
>
> On Di, 14 Mär 2017, A. S. Budden wrote:
>
>> This is probably one of the most minor problems I've ever had with
>> vim, but I thought I'd report it in case anyone understands what's
>> going on here.
>>
>> I've just (finally) decided to upgrade to Vim 8.  I initially
>> installed the Windows executable version from
>> https://vim.sourceforge.io/download.php#pc but found it didn't support
>> python, so have compiled my own version.
>>
>> When I start gvim, I often want to immediately maximise the window and
>> have tended to do this with a simple mapping ("map ,x :simalt ~x<CR>")
>> - start gvim and hit ,x - this is pretty instinctive now!  I know
>> there are probably other alternatives, but I like the default being
>> non-maximised and a quick key combination changing to maximised.
>>
>> With the newly compiled version of vim (details below), `:simalt ~x`
>> doesn't do quite what I was expecting: the window gets bigger but the
>> drawn area doesn't - https://snag.gy/3VfqUe.jpg
>>
>> Pressing Ctrl-L sorts it out, it's just slightly odd that it's not
>> redrawing to fill the screen.  Clicking on the maximise icon in the
>> top right hand corner of the window works correctly - it's just simalt
>> ~x that doesn't.  Note that this was all tested with -u NONE -U NONE.
>> With the current executable from the website (8.0.69), the behaviour
>> is correct.
>>
>> I know this is a really minor gripe; I just thought it was worth mentioning.
>>
>> The compiler configuration I use is made up of two scripts,
>> configure_vim.cmd (http://pastebin.com/QwKtCHvy) and build_vim.cmd
>> (http://pastebin.com/apxqsz6f).  The :version information is here:
>> http://pastebin.com/raw/Gfusk1Fw
>
> Sounds familiar
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/1vNlh9tBnCk/oP75NAT8AAAJ
>
> Unfortunately, there is no patch yet.

Aha, thanks Christian.  Glad it's not just something I did when I
compiled Vim.  Hopefully a patch will appear from someone who knows
their way round the vim source in due course.

Al

Re: Vim maximise weirdness

Eric Christopherson

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 5:07 AM, A. S. Budden <[hidden email]> wrote:
With the newly compiled version of vim (details below), `:simalt ~x`
doesn't do quite what I was expecting: the window gets bigger but the
drawn area doesn't - https://snag.gy/3VfqUe.jpg

How interesting -- for me, :simalt ~x works, but actually pressing <Alt><Space> doesn't bring down the menu. I have to define a mapping for it to work:

    :nnoremap <A-Space> :simalt ~<CR>
    :inoremap <A-Space> <C-o>:simalt ~<CR>

I can't remember exactly where I got my Vim binary, but the top of its :ver command shows:

    VIM - Vi IMproved 8.0 (2016 Sep 12, compiled Feb  1 2017 23:55:18)
    MS-Windows 32-bit GUI version with OLE support
    Included patches: 1-295
    Compiled by appveyor@APPVYR-WIN
    Huge version with GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):

Although I have to say I've had the same problem with physically pressing <Alt><Space> also in several releases of Vim 7.3, and I think in several different Windows builds.

--
        Eric Christopherson

Re: Vim maximise weirdness

Christian Brabandt
Hi Eric!

On Di, 14 Mär 2017, Eric Christopherson wrote:

> I can't remember exactly where I got my Vim binary, but the top of its :ver
> command shows:
>
>     VIM - Vi IMproved 8.0 (2016 Sep 12, compiled Feb  1 2017 23:55:18)
>     MS-Windows 32-bit GUI version with OLE support
>     Included patches: 1-295
>     Compiled by appveyor@APPVYR-WIN
>     Huge version with GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):

That would be this version:
https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer/releases/tag/v8.0.0295

Best,
Christian
--
Schweigen ist ein köstlicher Genuß, aber um ihn ganz auszuschöpfen,
muß man einen Gefährten haben. Allein ist man nur stumm.

Re: Vim maximise weirdness

Ken Takata-2

2017/3/15 Wed 0:33:25 UTC+9 Eric Christopherson wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 5:07 AM, A. S. Budden <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> With the newly compiled version of vim (details below), `:simalt ~x`
>
> doesn't do quite what I was expecting: the window gets bigger but the
>
> drawn area doesn't - https://snag.gy/3VfqUe.jpg
> How interesting -- for me, :simalt ~x works, but actually pressing <Alt><Space> doesn't bring down the menu. I have to define a mapping for it to work:
>

>     :nnoremap <A-Space> :simalt ~<CR>
>     :inoremap <A-Space> <C-o>:simalt ~<CR>
I confirmed that `:simalt ~x` worked fine on v8.0.0274.
However, on v8.0.0275, `:simalt ~x` makes the window maximized but the
contents is not properly updated. I need to hit Ctrl-L to update the contents.

Alt-Space doesn't work on neither 0274 nor 0275.

Regards,
Ken Takata

Re: Vim maximise weirdness

Eric Christopherson
On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 10:05 PM, Ken Takata <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

2017/3/15 Wed 0:33:25 UTC+9 Eric Christopherson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 5:07 AM, A. S. Budden <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> With the newly compiled version of vim (details below), `:simalt ~x`
>
> doesn't do quite what I was expecting: the window gets bigger but the
>
> drawn area doesn't - https://snag.gy/3VfqUe.jpg
> How interesting -- for me, :simalt ~x works, but actually pressing <Alt><Space> doesn't bring down the menu. I have to define a mapping for it to work:
>

>     :nnoremap <A-Space> :simalt ~<CR>
>     :inoremap <A-Space> <C-o>:simalt ~<CR>

I confirmed that `:simalt ~x` worked fine on v8.0.0274.
However, on v8.0.0275, `:simalt ~x` makes the window maximized but the
contents is not properly updated. I need to hit Ctrl-L to update the contents.

Alt-Space doesn't work on neither 0274 nor 0275.

Regards,
Ken Takata

I see that I was incorrect about alt-space-based maximizing working for me; it does maximize the window, but much of the resulting window has a gray background with no text in it. Ctrl-L causes it to redraw and take up the whole space, as stated by others.

--
        Eric Christopherson