Vim nightly download for Windows 64 in Firefox reports "Deceptive Site" and marked as being dangerous

Vim nightly download for Windows 64 in Firefox reports "Deceptive Site" and marked as being dangerous

Igor Forca
Hi,
today on Vim nightly for Windows
https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer/releases/
I tried to download gvim_8.0.0771_x64.zip so link is
https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer/releases/download/v8.0.0771/gvim_8.0.0771_x64.zip

When clicking on above link web page URL is changed to
https://github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com/50428480/1f20e306-70cd-11e7-8b18-27d2c2dca7a8?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAIWNJYAX4CSVEH53A%2F20170725%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20170725T053509Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-Signature=a71f7054845a27fa8e7f3fe102514f19362f278e4773c3ce17a49d58ab81fa78&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&actor_id=0&response-content-disposition=attachment%3B%20filename%3Dgvim_8.0.0771_x64.zip&response-content-type=application%2Foctet-stream

and I get "Deceptive Site" red screen in Firefox 54 with full message:

Deceptive Site!

This web page at github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com has been reported as a deceptive site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Deceptive sites are designed to trick you into doing something dangerous, like installing software, or revealing your personal information, like passwords, phone numbers or credit cards.

Entering any information on this web page may result in identity theft or other fraud.

Is it fine to continue or is there really a security problem?
Regards

Re: Vim nightly download for Windows 64 in Firefox reports "Deceptive Site" and marked as being dangerous

Tony Mechelynck
On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 7:36 AM, Igor Forca <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> today on Vim nightly for Windows
> https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer/releases/
> I tried to download gvim_8.0.0771_x64.zip so link is
> https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer/releases/download/v8.0.0771/gvim_8.0.0771_x64.zip
>
> When clicking on above link web page URL is changed to
> https://github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com/50428480/1f20e306-70cd-11e7-8b18-27d2c2dca7a8?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAIWNJYAX4CSVEH53A%2F20170725%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20170725T053509Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-Signature=a71f7054845a27fa8e7f3fe102514f19362f278e4773c3ce17a49d58ab81fa78&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&actor_id=0&response-content-disposition=attachment%3B%20filename%3Dgvim_8.0.0771_x64.zip&response-content-type=application%2Foctet-stream
>
> and I get "Deceptive Site" red screen in Firefox 54 with full message:
>

> Deceptive Site!
>
> This web page at github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com has been reported as a deceptive site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.
>
> Deceptive sites are designed to trick you into doing something dangerous, like installing software, or revealing your personal information, like passwords, phone numbers or credit cards.
>
> Entering any information on this web page may result in identity theft or other fraud.
>

> Is it fine to continue or is there really a security problem?
> Regards

Well, of course github is a site which "tries to make you install
software", but of course it is software that you want to get in the
first place.

Using either Firefox 56.0a1 or SeaMonkey 2.53a1 (both of which are
"bleeding-edge nightlies" built from Mozilla's latest development
source) I can download this zipfile with no alert dialog. The "source"
of the download in the Download Manager is your
github-production-release-asset- (etc.) URL. But I am on Linux64 so of
course I cannot install the program to see if it works — or only in
Wine which mightn't be "the real thing". Also, my security preferences
are probably other than yours. In my SeaMonkey preferences, under
"Privacy & Security", both "Safe Browsing" checkboxes are ticked, viz.
"Block reported attack sites (malware, viruses)" and "Block reported
web forgeries (Phishing)". In Firefox preferences, near the bottom of
the "Privacy & Security" tab, all three of "Block dangerous and
deceptive content", "Block dangerous downloads" and "Warn you about
unwanted and uncommon software" are ticked.

I suspect that you might be a victim of some Firefox bug, recently
"fixed" in the 56.0a1 Nightly source but which wasn't yet fixed in
Fx54 when it graduated from "beta" to "release" some weeks ago. This
is only a guess, however, and you might want to search the Mozilla bug
tracker, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ about recently fixed Firefox
privacy & security bugs in order to make your own opinion about it.

Re: Vim nightly download for Windows 64 in Firefox reports "Deceptive Site" and marked as being dangerous

Igor Forca
Tony,
I don't think this is a Firefox bug. I downloaded Vim v8.0.0765 two days ago, and now this version also reports "Deceptive Site". Most probably definitions for "evil" web pages have been silently updated. On my PC default Firefox settings are: Tools | Options | Security tab and have all three enabled:
- Block dangerous and deceptive content
- Block dangerous downloads
- Warn you about unwanted and uncommon software
If I disable all of them the "Deceptive Site" message goes away.

In my humble opinion somehow Vim's download site github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com got on the blacklist.

It is interesting according to your words Firefox Nightly (I haven't tested) is working fine.

Re: Vim nightly download for Windows 64 in Firefox reports "Deceptive Site" and marked as being dangerous

Igor Forca
Now I have also tested on "Ubuntu 17.10 Daily" and using "Firefox Nightly" and I get the same security warning. I somehow expected this, so in this case probably your browser is something special, you may not use default browser settings.

Is there anyone else able to reproduce this problem?

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 12:42 PM, Igor Forca <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Now I have also tested on "Ubuntu 17.10 Daily" and using "Firefox Nightly" and I get the same security warning. I somehow expected this, so in this case probably your browser is something special, you may not use default browser settings.

I get SeaMonkey & Firefox straight from https://ftp.mozilla.org/ but
of course I use the linux-x86_64 version. Maybe the blacklists are
different for each platform?

> Is there anyone else able to reproduce this problem?

Re: Vim nightly download for Windows 64 in Firefox reports "Deceptive Site" and marked as being dangerous

Markus Osterhoff
* Igor Forca <[hidden email]> [170725 07:36]:
> today on Vim nightly for Windows
> https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer/releases/
> I tried to download gvim_8.0.0771_x64.zip so link is
> https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer/releases/download/v8.0.0771/gvim_8.0.0771_x64.zip
> and I get "Deceptive Site" red screen in Firefox 54 with full message:
Same here with Gentoo's www-client/firefox-bin-52.2.0

Best,
Markus