Quantcast

Vim spellcheck

Thomas-253
Hello vim-users,

I've got a problem with the vim spellcheck.
If I open a textfile and type
:set spell spelllang=de_de
everything works as expected.
But if I close the file, open it again, vim doesn't know any word
anymore. Everything is marked as wrong.

If I
:set nospell
close the file, open it and then
:set spell
it works again as expected.

What's wrong with vim? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Thomas

Re: Vim spellcheck

Matteo Landi
On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello vim-users,
>
> I've got a problem with the vim spellcheck.
> If I open a textfile and type
> :set spell spelllang=de_de
> everything works as expected.
> But if I close the file, open it again, vim doesn't know any word

When you "close the file", do you mean you are destroying the buffer,
or that you are closing the vim session?

> anymore. Everything is marked as wrong.

This suggests me that you are quitting Vim and that you are opening a
new Vim session, hence I think you need to set the spell language
again (or put it inside your .vimrc).

My 2 cents,
Matteo

> If I
> :set nospell
> close the file, open it and then
> :set spell
> it works again as expected.
>
> What's wrong with vim? Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Thomas

http://www.matteolandi.net/

Re: Vim spellcheck

Thomas-253
On 27 September 2011 15:23, Matteo Landi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello vim-users,
>>
>> I've got a problem with the vim spellcheck.
>> If I open a textfile and type
>> :set spell spelllang=de_de
>> everything works as expected.
>> But if I close the file, open it again, vim doesn't know any word
>
> When you "close the file", do you mean you are destroying the buffer,
> or that you are closing the vim session?
>
>> anymore. Everything is marked as wrong.
>
> This suggests me that you are quitting Vim and that you are opening a
> new Vim session, hence I think you need to set the spell language
> again (or put it inside your .vimrc).
Thanks for your answer!

Well, putting "set spell spelllang=de_de" into my .vimrc solved the problem.
Anyway I think the behaviour is kind of strange.
I try to explain it again:
Normally I don't turn on spellchecking, because I think it's annoying
while editing some programming code.
But if I write a letter with latex, I would turn it on, using ':set
spell spelllang=de_de' inside vim and everything works fine.
If I now close vim (:wq) and open the same textfile again, vim
remembers my setting for this file.
:set spelllang
would return "de_de", but everything would be marked as wrong (red).
To fix the problem, I have to ":set nospell", close vim (:wq), open
the file again and type ":set spell" again.

Now with "set spell spelllang=de_de" in my .vimrc the spellchecking is
always correct, but actually I just want to use this feature in a few
text-files.

Greetings,
Thomas

> My 2 cents,
> Matteo
>

>> If I
>> :set nospell
>> close the file, open it and then
>> :set spell
>> it works again as expected.
>>
>> What's wrong with vim? Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Thomas
>>
>> --

> http://www.matteolandi.net/

Re: Vim spellcheck

Christian Brabandt
Hi Thomas!

On Di, 27 Sep 2011, Thomas wrote:

> On 27 September 2011 15:23, Matteo Landi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Now with "set spell spelllang=de_de" in my .vimrc the spellchecking is
> always correct, but actually I just want to use this feature in a few
> text-files.

http://vimhelp.appspot.com/vim_faq.txt.html#faq-26.1

regards,
Christian