Vim terminal syntax highlights

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Vim terminal syntax highlights

Tatenda Biti
Might be a silly question. But why doesn't vim's terminal on windows 10 have syntax highlighting like neovim

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/379e1f72-7e1b-47f5-935d-acb8a8c45bbb%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Vim terminal syntax highlights

trialero
On Sun, Jun 02, 2019 at 01:18:35AM -0700, Tatenda Biti wrote:
> Might be a silly question. But why doesn't vim's terminal on windows 10 have syntax highlighting like neovim

it probably depends on the colorscheme you use (what and how your syntax
is displayed) and on a line in your .vimrc: `syntax enable'

see also `:help syntax' for further instructions on the use and
possibilities.

//meine

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/20190602105953.GB931%40trackstand.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Vim terminal syntax highlights

Tatenda Biti
On Sunday, June 2, 2019 at 6:59:59 AM UTC-4, meine wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 02, 2019 at 01:18:35AM -0700, Tatenda Biti wrote:
> > Might be a silly question. But why doesn't vim's terminal on windows 10 have syntax highlighting like neovim
>
> it probably depends on the colorscheme you use (what and how your syntax
> is displayed) and on a line in your .vimrc: `syntax enable'
>
> see also `:help syntax' for further instructions on the use and
> possibilities.
>
> //meine
Pretty sure that is not the case:

Vimcmdline:

Neovim:
NEO 2019-06-02_11-43-09.png
Vim:
Vim 2019-06-02_11-41-20.png

Can you get syntax highlighting like that in vim?

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/d33dbd05-308f-4818-9c26-e00c7f4b113a%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

NEO 2019-06-02_11-43-09.png (47K) Download Attachment
Vim 2019-06-02_11-41-20.png (51K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Vim terminal syntax highlights

JESii
I agree with meine -- when I look at your vim screenshot, it's clear to me that there IS synta highlighting applied to your file. It's just different than the newvim screenshot you provided.

> > it probably depends on the colorscheme you use (what and how your syntax
> > is displayed) and on a line in your .vimrc: `syntax enable'
> >
> > see also `:help syntax' for further instructions on the use and
> > possibilities.
> >
> > //meine
>
> Pretty sure that is not the case:
>

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/980a1bec-b5e3-4716-a711-d885afe43c50%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Vim terminal syntax highlights

Tatenda Biti
On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 11:38:23 AM UTC-4, JESii wrote:

> I agree with meine -- when I look at your vim screenshot, it's clear to me that there IS synta highlighting applied to your file. It's just different than the newvim screenshot you provided.
>
> > > it probably depends on the colorscheme you use (what and how your syntax
> > > is displayed) and on a line in your .vimrc: `syntax enable'
> > >
> > > see also `:help syntax' for further instructions on the use and
> > > possibilities.
> > >
> > > //meine
> >
> > Pretty sure that is not the case:
> >
I don't think I was clear this is Gvim on windows. When you create a terminal buffer there are no colors. Do you use Windows Gvim and have colors in the terminal??

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/5b649692-7cd5-46ce-a9ba-ac4a2d41d553%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Vim terminal syntax highlights

Eric Christopherson
On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 2:59 PM Tatenda Biti <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 11:38:23 AM UTC-4, JESii wrote:
> I agree with meine -- when I look at your vim screenshot, it's clear to me that there IS synta highlighting applied to your file. It's just different than the newvim screenshot you provided.
>
> > > it probably depends on the colorscheme you use (what and how your syntax
> > > is displayed) and on a line in your .vimrc: `syntax enable'
> > >
> > > see also `:help syntax' for further instructions on the use and
> > > possibilities.
> > >
> > > //meine
> >
> > Pretty sure that is not the case:
> >
I don't think I was clear this is Gvim on windows. When you create a terminal buffer there are no colors. Do you use Windows Gvim and have colors in the terminal??

When you say "terminal", are you talking about the window at the bottom that shows the Python interpreter? I'm pretty sure those "windows" (they aren't really first-class citizens in Vim's window layout, e.g. you can't resize them, move them around, etc.) have never had syntax coloring in Vim proper; you need an actual window with an actual buffer (for instance a file you're editing) to have syntax highlighting. I'm not sure how NeoVim goes about it; it looks like they just use one style for things in quotes, one for sequences that look like times, and another for sequences that look like integer or floating-point numbers; whether there's an actual file *type* behind all that I don't know. It might be that they just figured 

In my experience, for whatever reason, when I run commands like :!python in Windows gVim, I always get a separate Windows command prompt window that holds the command I've launched from Vim. On other platforms, I get something like what you show in the Vim 8 screenshot.

--
        Eric Christopherson

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/CADyB93DTaM8nMonPdMaC4Ps-5WjOkv4-6y_fSXzF1ZzaQ-gUjQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.