Vim website problems

Bram Moolenaar

Well, vim.org is down again.  We have had direct responses from
SourceForge, thus it's not like they don't care.  They try hard to make
it work, but it still doesn't.

I think it is time we seriously look into the alternative: moving to
osdn.net.  I would like to have two volunteers who take the current
website and make it work on OSDN.  Then we can check that it actually
works there.

The website looks old (it is old), but let's not try to redesign it at
the same time, since that will take an unknown amount of time.  Thus it
would mean taking the existing PHP code, setup the database, and
whatever else is needed to configure it.

Skills required:
- Experience with PHP and MySQL stuff.
- Have time available now (and preferably later for maintenance).
- Trustworthy, be responsible with users private data.

I would prefer at least person we know well from Vim work.

Please respond to this thread if you are interested.

--
A fool must search for a greater fool to find admiration.

Re: Vim website problems

Renato Fabbri

(~ ot. pardon)

if the site and database are reasonably small,
seeds of the website in heroku, github.io, and free
database hosting plans (did not find more that 500MB of storage for
free, but you can have many of these) seem helpful.
Some of such settings are instantiated with very few commands,
and are running now for ~5 years without any maintenance (its true).
E.g.
http://aaserver.herokuapp.com/minimumClient/

(
ps. impaired vim.org has been very sad for colegues and family
:'-(|)
)

Em sexta-feira, 2 de março de 2018 11:59:18 UTC-3, Bram Moolenaar  escreveu:

> Well, vim.org is down again.  We have had direct responses from
> SourceForge, thus it's not like they don't care.  They try hard to make
> it work, but it still doesn't.
>
> I think it is time we seriously look into the alternative: moving to
> osdn.net.  I would like to have two volunteers who take the current
> website and make it work on OSDN.  Then we can check that it actually
> works there.
>
> The website looks old (it is old), but let's not try to redesign it at
> the same time, since that will take an unknown amount of time.  Thus it
> would mean taking the existing PHP code, setup the database, and
> whatever else is needed to configure it.
>
> Skills required:
> - Experience with PHP and MySQL stuff.
> - Have time available now (and preferably later for maintenance).
> - Trustworthy, be responsible with users private data.
>
> I would prefer at least person we know well from Vim work.
>
> Please respond to this thread if you are interested.
>
> --
> A fool must search for a greater fool to find admiration.
>
>  /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
> ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
> \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
>  \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

Re: Vim website problems

Bram Moolenaar

Renato Fabbri wrote:

> (~ ot. pardon)
>
> if the site and database are reasonably small,
> seeds of the website in heroku, github.io, and free
> database hosting plans (did not find more that 500MB of storage for
> free, but you can have many of these) seem helpful.
> Some of such settings are instantiated with very few commands,
> and are running now for ~5 years without any maintenance (its true).
> E.g.
> http://aaserver.herokuapp.com/minimumClient/

We already have an offer from OSDN, and their setup should work well for
us, it's aimed at supporting projects like Vim.

--
People who want to share their religious views with you
almost never want you to share yours with them.

Re: Vim website problems

Christian Brabandt

On Fr, 02 Mär 2018, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Well, vim.org is down again.  We have had direct responses from
> SourceForge, thus it's not like they don't care.  They try hard to make
> it work, but it still doesn't.
>
> I think it is time we seriously look into the alternative: moving to
> osdn.net.  I would like to have two volunteers who take the current
> website and make it work on OSDN.  Then we can check that it actually
> works there.
>
> The website looks old (it is old), but let's not try to redesign it at
> the same time, since that will take an unknown amount of time.  Thus it
> would mean taking the existing PHP code, setup the database, and
> whatever else is needed to configure it.
>
> Skills required:
> - Experience with PHP and MySQL stuff.
> - Have time available now (and preferably later for maintenance).
> - Trustworthy, be responsible with users private data.
>
> I would prefer at least person we know well from Vim work.
>
> Please respond to this thread if you are interested.

Nobody responded yet, so let me offer my time.

I haven't worked with php and mysql for a couple of years, but I think I
should be able to get it work. I should be able to spend some time in
the evenings for this.

Best,
Christian
--
Wenn man über 60 ist und es tut einem früh beim Aufwachen nichts weh,
dann ist man tot.

Re: Vim website problems

Bram Moolenaar

Christian Brabandt wrote:

> On Fr, 02 Mär 2018, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>

> > Well, vim.org is down again.  We have had direct responses from
> > SourceForge, thus it's not like they don't care.  They try hard to make
> > it work, but it still doesn't.
> >
> > I think it is time we seriously look into the alternative: moving to
> > osdn.net.  I would like to have two volunteers who take the current
> > website and make it work on OSDN.  Then we can check that it actually
> > works there.
> >
> > The website looks old (it is old), but let's not try to redesign it at
> > the same time, since that will take an unknown amount of time.  Thus it
> > would mean taking the existing PHP code, setup the database, and
> > whatever else is needed to configure it.
> >
> > Skills required:
> > - Experience with PHP and MySQL stuff.
> > - Have time available now (and preferably later for maintenance).
> > - Trustworthy, be responsible with users private data.
> >
> > I would prefer at least person we know well from Vim work.
> >
> > Please respond to this thread if you are interested.
>
> Nobody responded yet, so let me offer my time.
>
> I haven't worked with php and mysql for a couple of years, but I think I
> should be able to get it work. I should be able to spend some time in
> the evenings for this.

Thanks Christian!  Let's discuss details in another thread.

--
BLACK KNIGHT: None shall pass.
ARTHUR:       I have no quarrel with you, brave Sir knight, but I must cross

Re: Vim website problems

Renato Fabbri
I should be able to help as well, although I probably do not fit the
'I would prefer at least person we know well from Vim work.'
more-than-reasonable criteria.