Vim9: call function from variadic function?

Vim9: call function from variadic function?

Lifepillar
This might be a bit of a stretch, but... is it possible to
"expand/split" variable arguments to call another function with fixed
arguments? I would like to define a function that takes as input another
function F and some values v1, vn... , and applies F to v1, ..., vn.

For example, I can define:

    def F(a: string, b: number)
    enddef

    def G(...values: list<any>): void
      F(values[0], values[1])
    enddef

    G('xyz', 42)

I would like to generalize G so that it can invoke any function, i.e.:

    def G2(F: func, ...values: list<any>): void
       F(XXXX)
    enddef

    G2(F, 'xyz', 42)

The problem is: what can I put in place of XXXX? F(values) doesn't cut
it.

Thanks,
Life.

Re: Vim9: call function from variadic function?

Stan Brown
:h curly-braces-names

--
Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA

On 2021-02-28 06:14, Lifepillar wrote:

> This might be a bit of a stretch, but... is it possible to
> "expand/split" variable arguments to call another function with fixed
> arguments? I would like to define a function that takes as input another
> function F and some values v1, vn... , and applies F to v1, ..., vn.
>
> For example, I can define:
>
>     def F(a: string, b: number)
>     enddef
>
>     def G(...values: list<any>): void
>       F(values[0], values[1])
>     enddef
>
>     G('xyz', 42)
>
> I would like to generalize G so that it can invoke any function, i.e.:
>
>     def G2(F: func, ...values: list<any>): void
>        F(XXXX)
>     enddef
>
>     G2(F, 'xyz', 42)
>
> The problem is: what can I put in place of XXXX? F(values) doesn't cut
> it.
>
> Thanks,
> Life.

Re: Vim9: call function from variadic function?

Bram Moolenaar

Stan Brown wrote:

> :h curly-braces-names

Note that in Vim9 script curly-braces are not supported.  They have
always been a bit problematic, and compiling an expression with
curly-braces is not possible, it needs to be interpreted.

--
Violators can be fined, arrested or jailed for making ugly faces at a dog.
                [real standing law in Oklahoma, United States of America]

On 2021-03-01, Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stan Brown wrote:
>
>> :h curly-braces-names

Thanks, I didn't know about that feature.

> Note that in Vim9 script curly-braces are not supported.  They have
> always been a bit problematic, and compiling an expression with
> curly-braces is not possible, it needs to be interpreted.

As I said, what I was trying to do is a bit of a stretch. I have found
a different way to approach my problem.

Thanks for the feedback,
Life.

Re: Vim9: call function from variadic function?

> This might be a bit of a stretch, but... is it possible to
> "expand/split" variable arguments to call another function with fixed
> arguments? I would like to define a function that takes as input another
> function F and some values v1, vn... , and applies F to v1, ..., vn.
>
> For example, I can define:
>
>     def F(a: string, b: number)
>     enddef
>
>     def G(...values: list<any>): void
>       F(values[0], values[1])
>     enddef
>
>     G('xyz', 42)
>
> I would like to generalize G so that it can invoke any function, i.e.:
>
>     def G2(F: func, ...values: list<any>): void
>        F(XXXX)
>     enddef
>
>     G2(F, 'xyz', 42)
>
> The problem is: what can I put in place of XXXX? F(values) doesn't cut
> it.

Why not use call():
        call(F, ['xyz', 42])

Or, if you need G2() to do something more:
     def G2(F: func, ...values: list<any>): void
        call(F, values)
     enddef

--
No man may purchase alcohol without written consent from his wife.
                [real standing law in Pennsylvania, United States of America]

On 2021-03-01, Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> This might be a bit of a stretch, but... is it possible to
>> "expand/split" variable arguments to call another function with fixed
>> arguments? I would like to define a function that takes as input another
>> function F and some values v1, vn... , and applies F to v1, ..., vn.
>>
>> For example, I can define:
>>
>>     def F(a: string, b: number)
>>     enddef
>>
>>     def G(...values: list<any>): void
>>       F(values[0], values[1])
>>     enddef
>>
>>     G('xyz', 42)
>>
>> I would like to generalize G so that it can invoke any function, i.e.:
>>
>>     def G2(F: func, ...values: list<any>): void
>>        F(XXXX)
>>     enddef
>>
>>     G2(F, 'xyz', 42)
>>
>> The problem is: what can I put in place of XXXX? F(values) doesn't cut
>> it.
>
> Why not use call():
> call(F, ['xyz', 42])

Ah, I had forgotten about call()!

> Or, if you need G2() to do something more:
>      def G2(F: func, ...values: list<any>): void
>         call(F, values)
>      enddef

Yes, that does exactly what I have asked for.

Thanks!
Life.