VimDIFF - ONLY on the first field of two files ?

VimDIFF - ONLY on the first field of two files ?

philip_rhoades
People,

I live in vim and therefore use vimdiff most of the time for my needs
but I have a use case where I only want to diff on the FIRST field of
two files ie the files have lines that look like:

   [dir|file]name | [D|F] | mtime

and I need to be able to have vimdiff only working on the [dir|file]name
and ignore the rest of the line - is this possible somehow?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: VimDIFF - ONLY on the first field of two files ?

Bram Moolenaar

Philip Rhoades wrote:

> I live in vim and therefore use vimdiff most of the time for my needs
> but I have a use case where I only want to diff on the FIRST field of
> two files ie the files have lines that look like:
>
>    [dir|file]name | [D|F] | mtime
>
> and I need to be able to have vimdiff only working on the [dir|file]name
> and ignore the rest of the line - is this possible somehow?

This is currently not possible.  And it would be more than a bit of work
to implement.  At the same time, it can be very useful to be able to
diff while ignoring some text.

A first idea would be to define a pattern, replace the matched text with
spaces, create the diff, then undo the replacement.  Perhaps also
highlight the ignored text.  Optionally this would work the other way:
replace the not-matched text with spaces.

--
Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the
world's population.

///                                                                      \\\
\\\        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ ///

Re: VimDIFF - ONLY on the first field of two files ?

Charles Campbell-2
'Philip Rhoades' via vim_use wrote:

> People,
>
> I live in vim and therefore use vimdiff most of the time for my needs
> but I have a use case where I only want to diff on the FIRST field of
> two files ie the files have lines that look like:
>
>   [dir|file]name | [D|F] | mtime
>
> and I need to be able to have vimdiff only working on the
> [dir|file]name and ignore the rest of the line - is this possible
> somehow?
Check into the NarrowRegion plugin by Christian Brabandt
(https://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3075). I haven't used
it to do what you're asking for, but it seems to me that this plugin
might help you. Its worth a try, anyway.

Chip Campbell

Re: VimDIFF - ONLY on the first field of two files ?

Christian Brabandt

On Do, 01 Apr 2021, 'Philip Rhoades' via vim_use wrote:

> People,
>
> I live in vim and therefore use vimdiff most of the time for my needs but I
> have a use case where I only want to diff on the FIRST field of two files ie
> the files have lines that look like:
>
>   [dir|file]name | [D|F] | mtime
>
> and I need to be able to have vimdiff only working on the [dir|file]name and
> ignore the rest of the line - is this possible somehow?
>
> Thanks,

Have a look at my plugin:
https://github.com/chrisbra/vim-diff-enhanced

The README.md has an example of that.

Best,
Christian
--
So kam ich unter die Deutschen. Ich forderte nicht viel und war
gefaßt noch weniger zu finden.

Re: VimDIFF - ONLY on the first field of two files ?

philip_rhoades
Christian, Charles, Bram,

Thanks so much for your responses! - they are much appreciated!

Phil.

On 2021-04-02 04:01, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> On Do, 01 Apr 2021, 'Philip Rhoades' via vim_use wrote:
>
>> People,
>>
>> I live in vim and therefore use vimdiff most of the time for my needs
>> but I
>> have a use case where I only want to diff on the FIRST field of two
>> files ie
>> the files have lines that look like:
>>
>>   [dir|file]name | [D|F] | mtime
>>
>> and I need to be able to have vimdiff only working on the
>> [dir|file]name and
>> ignore the rest of the line - is this possible somehow?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> Have a look at my plugin:
> https://github.com/chrisbra/vim-diff-enhanced
>
> The README.md has an example of that.
>
> Best,
> Christian
> --
> So kam ich unter die Deutschen. Ich forderte nicht viel und war
> gefaßt noch weniger zu finden.
> -- Johann Christian Friedrich Hölderlin

Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: VimDIFF - ONLY on the first field of two files ?

philip_rhoades
Christian,

I have installed your plugin, set diffopt in .vimrc and all the tests
work and

   :EnhancedDiff histogram

command from your web page works but I can't get

   EnhancedDiffIgnorePat ^[^;]\+;

or

   EnhancedDiffIgnorePat ;[^;]\+$

to work with some manually created files like on your web page.

I tried looking at test.sh but I don't understand:

   -c "if filereadable('vimrc') | so vimrc | endif'"

- what is "so"? - and there appears to be an unpaired single quote?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Phil.

On 2021-04-02 07:22, 'Philip Rhoades' via vim_use wrote:

> Christian, Charles, Bram,
>
> Thanks so much for your responses! - they are much appreciated!
>
> Phil.
>

> On 2021-04-02 04:01, Christian Brabandt wrote:
>> On Do, 01 Apr 2021, 'Philip Rhoades' via vim_use wrote:
>>
>>> People,
>>>
>>> I live in vim and therefore use vimdiff most of the time for my needs
>>> but I
>>> have a use case where I only want to diff on the FIRST field of two
>>> files ie
>>> the files have lines that look like:
>>>
>>> [dir|file]name | [D|F] | mtime
>>>
>>> and I need to be able to have vimdiff only working on the
>>> [dir|file]name and
>>> ignore the rest of the line - is this possible somehow?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>
>> Have a look at my plugin:
>> https://github.com/chrisbra/vim-diff-enhanced
>>
>> The README.md has an example of that.
>>
>> Best,
>> Christian
>> --
>> So kam ich unter die Deutschen. Ich forderte nicht viel und war
>> gefaßt noch weniger zu finden.
>> -- Johann Christian Friedrich Hölderlin
>>
>> --
>
> --
> Philip Rhoades
>
> PO Box 896
> Cowra NSW 2794
> Australia
> E-mail: [hidden email]

Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra NSW 2794
Australia
E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: VimDIFF - ONLY on the first field of two files ?

philip_rhoades
rwm,

On 2021-04-03 00:07, [hidden email] wrote:
> 'so' would be short for 'source'

Ah . . of course . . thanks!

Phil.

--