VimL: How to make a variable?

Steve Litt
Hi all,

I'd like to make a variable, set once and read everywhere (I guess that
makes it a global variable), in VimL. What's the syntax to set and read
that variable?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

Re: VimL: How to make a variable?

Gary Johnson-4
On 2014-10-02, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to make a variable, set once and read everywhere (I guess that
> makes it a global variable), in VimL. What's the syntax to set and read
> that variable?

    :help 41.2
    :help global-variable
    :help :let

Examples:

    :let g:myvar = "foo"
    :let @a = g:myvar
    :echo g:myvar

Regards,
Gary

Re: VimL: How to make a variable?

Ben Fritz
On Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:50:50 PM UTC-5, stevelitt wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I'd like to make a variable, set once and read everywhere (I guess that
>
> makes it a global variable), in VimL. What's the syntax to set and read
>
> that variable?

Preface the variable name with g:

See :help global-variable

and more generally :help internal-variables

Re: VimL: How to make a variable?

Steve Litt
On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 12:01:20 -0700 (PDT)
Ben Fritz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:50:50 PM UTC-5, stevelitt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >

> > I'd like to make a variable, set once and read everywhere (I guess
> > that
> >
> > makes it a global variable), in VimL. What's the syntax to set and
> > read
> >
> > that variable?
> >

> Preface the variable name with g:
>
> See :help global-variable
>
> and more generally :help internal-variables

Thanks Ben, that worked perfectly.

I've read the help for global-variable, internal-variables, and
normal!, but still can't find how to do a replace. Consider the
following "hello world" script, called ~/test.vim:

=================================
let g:myvar="MyVariableText"
normal! sg:myvar
=================================

In a regular file, when I do this:

:sou ~/test.vim

It replaces the current character with the literal "g.myvar" instead of
"MyVariableText". How do I get it to use the *value* of the variable
instead of the *name* of the variable?

On 2014-10-03, Steve Litt wrote:

> I've read the help for global-variable, internal-variables, and
> normal!, but still can't find how to do a replace. Consider the
> following "hello world" script, called ~/test.vim:
>
> =================================
> let g:myvar="MyVariableText"
> normal! sg:myvar
> =================================
>
> In a regular file, when I do this:
>
> :sou ~/test.vim
>
> It replaces the current character with the literal "g.myvar" instead of
> "MyVariableText". How do I get it to use the *value* of the variable
> instead of the *name* of the variable?

    :help :exe

Example:

    exe "normal! s" . g:myvar

Regards,
Gary

http://vimhelp.appspot.com/vim_faq.txt.html#faq-25.13

Re: VimL: How to make a variable?

Steve Litt
On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 11:09:29 -0700 (PDT)
Ben Fritz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://vimhelp.appspot.com/vim_faq.txt.html#faq-25.13

Very, very nice! Thank you.

I'm going to read that entire page. I have a feeling it contains a lot
of what I need to learn. Thanks so much for this great resource.