VimOutliner as a task manager?

12

VimOutliner as a task manager?

Kyle Sexton
Is anyone using VimOutliner for a task manager?  It seems that the check boxes are ideally suited to this type of use.  I can't seem to figure out how to "archive" or "hide" tasks that I've completed though.  After using this for awhile I'd think the completed tasks would start to build up.  I'd rather not just delete them, because having a reference to doing something is useful as well.

Thoughts, or are you handling this a different way?

--
Kyle Sexton

Re: VimOutliner as a task manager?

Bill Powell
Hi Kyle!

As I mentioned earlier on this list, I'm (still) working on
VimPim, which will tie VimOutliner to the calendar.vim
plugin and a couple of other things so you can track
all your projects from within Vim. Hopefully that'll be out
soon and you can take a look, though it's more involved than
what you're describing. (For instance, you'll be able to
track actual time spent on projects, as with tt or karm.)

In the meantime, you could always just fold a completed task
and paste it into, say, "done.otl". Or sometimes I fold a
task and paste it at the bottom of the file, under a
top-level heading like "DONE." If you're using it to manage
_all_ your tasks, I imagine that the file would grow too
large to handle quickly, even if you used a syntax file to
magically fold and hide it.

Another option, if you want to maintain the "structure" of
your tasks, is to move each completed task into its own
file in the same dir as your main "tasks.otl". Then just
include the name of that file, and with gf you can quickly
open it if you ever want to look at it. For example:

[ ] Tie shoes.
[ ] Read entire Vim help.
  [X] Learn :h command.
  [ ] Everything else.
[ ] Eat breakfast.

After you read the rest of Vim help, this snippet:

[X] Read entire Vim help.
  [X] Learn :h command.
  [X] Everything else.

could be moved to read-vim-help.otl, and you could now have:

[ ] Tie shoes.
read-vim-help.otl
[ ] Eat breakfast.

And gf anywhere on that filename would take you to
read-vim-help.otl.

Just a thought.

Bill Powell

+++ Kyle Sexton [15/10/07 16:16 -0500]:

>    Is anyone using VimOutliner for a task manager?  It seems that the check
>    boxes are ideally suited to this type of use.  I can't seem to figure out
>    how to "archive" or "hide" tasks that I've completed though.  After using
>    this for awhile I'd think the completed tasks would start to build up.
>    I'd rather not just delete them, because having a reference to doing
>    something is useful as well.
>
>    Thoughts, or are you handling this a different way?
>
>    --
>    Kyle Sexton

Re: VimOutliner as a task manager?

Noel Henson
Strangely enough... I am. There are also a couple of external tools I wrote
that reorganize an outline for different focuses. As far as archiving goes,
I usually have a COMPLETED section and move completed subsections there and
mark them with <localleader>d

Noel

On Monday 15 October 2007, Kyle Sexton wrote:
> Is anyone using VimOutliner for a task manager?  It seems that the check
> boxes are ideally suited to this type of use.  I can't seem to figure
> out how to "archive" or "hide" tasks that I've completed though.  After
> using this for awhile I'd think the completed tasks would start to build
> up.  I'd rather not just delete them, because having a reference to
> doing something is useful as well.
>
> Thoughts, or are you handling this a different way?

Re: VimOutliner as a task manager?

Steve Litt
On Monday 15 October 2007 17:16, Kyle Sexton wrote:
> Is anyone using VimOutliner for a task manager?  It seems that the check
> boxes are ideally suited to this type of use.  I can't seem to figure out
> how to "archive" or "hide" tasks that I've completed though.  After using
> this for awhile I'd think the completed tasks would start to build up.  I'd
> rather not just delete them, because having a reference to doing something
> is useful as well.
>
> Thoughts, or are you handling this a different way?

I've done that.

On my ToDo.otl, sometimes I have a DONE tree, and as a tree gets done I move
it to the DONE tree by collapsing, then dd to delete, and p in the done tree
to put it there. If I want a journal of what I've done in each day, at the
end of the day (isn't it nice to hear that phrase pertain to a real time and
not as silly CEO speak?) I rename DONE to 20071015 or whatever.

HTH

SteveT

Re: VimOutliner as a task manager?

David J Patrick-2
On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 04:16:20PM -0500, Kyle Sexton wrote:
> Is anyone using VimOutliner for a task manager?
I've been using the python version of the todo handler found at
todotxt.com.
It's dead simple, and I like it a lot.
I was going to get one of my per writing friends to modify it to ignore any
leading white space, and parse only lines that start in (their format, TBD)
"(X)" (where X is an uppercase alpha) and then it should almost be
vimoutlinerable. The trickier part would be to (and this is where some
familiarity with todo.py comes in) getting todo to put it's nice command
line entries in the right place in the .otl.
In any case, I personally dream of a grand fusion between vimoutliner (that
I'm crazy about) RoaringPenguins remind, and todotxt.org's approach.
djp

Re: VimOutliner as a task manager?

Detlef Steuer
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:37:07 -0400
David J Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In any case, I personally dream of a grand fusion between vimoutliner (that
> I'm crazy about) RoaringPenguins remind, and todotxt.org's approach.
> djp

Amen.

detlef
--
Somebody once said, "If you lend someone $10 and never see that person
again, it was probably worth it".

Re: VimOutliner as a task manager?

Bill Powell
+++ David J Patrick [15/10/07 21:37 -0400]:
> I've been using the python version of the todo handler found at
> todotxt.com.

WOW! I just checked this out, and it looks great. Thanks!

> In any case, I personally dream of a grand fusion between vimoutliner (that
> I'm crazy about) RoaringPenguins remind, and todotxt.org's approach.

That does sound cool.

If you go to todotxt.com and get the "todobundle", it
includes a syntax file for the todo.txt file: todo.vim.
And if you put these lines at the beginning of that file:

" Source VimOutliner for tabbing and folding functionality.
so $VIM/ftplugin/vo_base.vim
syntax clear "Don't want syntax.

...then you can at least move and fold projects and child tasks
around with VO functionality, while keeping the todo.txt
syntax highlighting. Not quite a full grand fusion, but a
step.

On the flip side, the maintainer of that syntax file, Graham
Davies, just wrote this morning to the todotxt mailing list
saying that child functionality isn't really there yet.
Still, at least you can keep todo.txt looking organized.

Sorry if everyone already thought of this. :)

Bill Powell

Re: Re: VimOutliner as a task manager?

Didier Bretin
On 16/10/2007 16:35, Bill Powell wrote:
> +++ David J Patrick [15/10/07 21:37 -0400]:
>> I've been using the python version of the todo handler found at
>> todotxt.com.

Personnaly I don't find the format of todotxt.com file very easy to read.
I finally use vimoutliner to register my task in gtd philosophy. I like the
way to fold or unfold my tasks. At the first level, I have "na" for next actions
"tasks" for the other tasks, "wf" for waiting for items and "done" to record
what I did and to feel me happy having things done :).

I attach an example with this mail.

Is there anybody who use vimoutliner to deal with gtd ? If yes how ?

Regards.
--
Didier BRETIN
http://www.bretin.net/

my project
==========

na
        find a car
        drive to paris
tasks
        find an hotel
        visit the Louvre
        find a cybercafe
wf
        mum
                my cookies
        dad
                repair my car
done
        repaint my car

vim:tw=80:foldlevel=0

On Monday 15 October 2007, Bill Powell wrote:
> Hi Kyle!
>
> As I mentioned earlier on this list, I'm (still) working on
> VimPim, which will tie VimOutliner to the calendar.vim
> plugin and a couple of other things so you can track
> all your projects from within Vim. Hopefully that'll be out
> soon and you can take a look, though it's more involved than
> what you're describing. (For instance, you'll be able to
> track actual time spent on projects, as with tt or karm.)

Bill,

Here is my VimPim setup. The calendar window and outline window are
cross-connected with some scripting.

Noel

vimpim.png (130K) Download Attachment

On Wednesday 17 October 2007 10:37, Noel Henson wrote:

> On Monday 15 October 2007, Bill Powell wrote:
> > Hi Kyle!
> >
> > As I mentioned earlier on this list, I'm (still) working on
> > VimPim, which will tie VimOutliner to the calendar.vim
> > plugin and a couple of other things so you can track
> > all your projects from within Vim. Hopefully that'll be out
> > soon and you can take a look, though it's more involved than
> > what you're describing. (For instance, you'll be able to
> > track actual time spent on projects, as with tt or karm.)
>
> Bill,
>
> Here is my VimPim setup. The calendar window and outline window are
> cross-connected with some scripting.
>
> Noel

Is VimPim free software? If so, where do I get it?

SteveT

Re: VimOutliner as a task manager?

Bill Powell
+++ Steve Litt [17/10/07 15:15 -0400]:

> On Wednesday 17 October 2007 10:37, Noel Henson wrote:
> > On Monday 15 October 2007, Bill Powell wrote:
> > > Hi Kyle!
> > >
> > > As I mentioned earlier on this list, I'm (still) working on
> > > VimPim, which will tie VimOutliner to the calendar.vim
> > > plugin and a couple of other things so you can track
> > > all your projects from within Vim. Hopefully that'll be out
> > > soon and you can take a look, though it's more involved than
> > > what you're describing. (For instance, you'll be able to
> > > track actual time spent on projects, as with tt or karm.)
> >
> > Bill,
> >
> > Here is my VimPim setup. The calendar window and outline window are
> > cross-connected with some scripting.
> >
> > Noel

Thanks, Noel! Yes, that's pretty much how my current VimPim
setup looks too. When you hit a day in the Calendar, it
jumps to the corresponding spot in a VO file.

What I've added so far:
        - syntax highlighting for:
                        dates
                        *todo items
                        embedded links (like http://vimoutliner.org or /home/user/thisfile.txt )
                                I plan to bundle utl.vim so you can jump to these.

What I'm working on:
        - that project timer I mentioned
        For instance, here are some entries in my "pim" file for
        this week:

                'email work 00:09 2007-10-15 08:50:00 2007-10-15 08:59:59
                'project_timer contrib 00:21 2007-10-15 09:00:00 2007-10-15 09:21:38
                        : Notes here.
                        Or even VO headings.
                                : With notes.
                'nosql contrib 00:23 2007-10-15 09:24:32 2007-10-15 09:47:36
                'finances wineskin 00:08 2007-10-15 09:48:38 2007-10-15 09:57:28

        It looks a lot better with syntax highlighting. ;)

        I currently have mappings so you can quickly start a task
and end a task (which calculates the interval spent), as
well as recalculate an interval if you need to change the
times.
        I'm also using xautolock to record the time if I'm idle
for more than 5 minutes, so I don't lose track if I forget
to stop a task (like karm).

        Idea is to be able to track your work in a VO file while
also being able to make notes.
        Then parse the file into a nosql table (also with syntax
highlighting) so you can quickly anaylze how much time
you've spent on each project.

 - I'd also a way to get the functionality with Calendar.vim
without having to bundle a tweaked version of it (that might
break on an upgrade).

 - Since I just found out about todo.sh from todotxt.com on
this list, and am quite excited about it, I'm wondering
about integrating that too. It might be faster to use that
CLI approach to start and stop tasks.

Anyhow, Noel, that's neat that you already have the basic
calendar+VO functionality.

> Is VimPim free software?

It will be.

> If so, where do I get it?
>
> SteveT

Maybe Noel already has something to post; I'm afraid what I
have right now might be a little messy to post publicly.
Unless anyone wants to help. :) Then I could set up a beta
page on my site.

Bill

On Wednesday 17 October 2007, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 October 2007 10:37, Noel Henson wrote:
> > On Monday 15 October 2007, Bill Powell wrote:
> > > Hi Kyle!
> > >
> > > As I mentioned earlier on this list, I'm (still) working on
> > > VimPim, which will tie VimOutliner to the calendar.vim
> > > plugin and a couple of other things so you can track
> > > all your projects from within Vim. Hopefully that'll be out
> > > soon and you can take a look, though it's more involved than
> > > what you're describing. (For instance, you'll be able to
> > > track actual time spent on projects, as with tt or karm.)
> >
> > Bill,
> >
> > Here is my VimPim setup. The calendar window and outline window are
> > cross-connected with some scripting.
> >
> > Noel
>
> Is VimPim free software? If so, where do I get it?
>
> SteveT

Of course it's free. It uses Stephan's Vim/ruby calendar script (that
creates the outline. It's coupled with the calendar.vim script from
vim.org. I made some modifications to calendar.vim so the two window panes
can interact.

I haven't taken the time to document what I've done yet. Perhaps I should
do that and write a short article.

Noel

On Wednesday 17 October 2007, Bill Powell wrote:

> +++ Steve Litt [17/10/07 15:15 -0400]:

> > > Bill,
> > >
> > > Here is my VimPim setup. The calendar window and outline window are
> > > cross-connected with some scripting.
> > >
> > > Noel
>
> Thanks, Noel! Yes, that's pretty much how my current VimPim
> setup looks too. When you hit a day in the Calendar, it
> jumps to the corresponding spot in a VO file.
>
> What I've added so far:
> - syntax highlighting for:
> dates
> *todo items
> embedded links (like http://vimoutliner.org or
> /home/user/thisfile.txt ) I plan to bundle utl.vim so you can jump to
> these.

I've been looking at how to use the new dictionary data type in vim to
create a table of behaviors based on the text under the cursor. That way
email addresses can spawn your email client, URLs would spawn your web
browser, etc.

> What I'm working on:
> - that project timer I mentioned
> For instance, here are some entries in my "pim" file for
> this week:
>
> 'email work 00:09 2007-10-15 08:50:00 2007-10-15 08:59:59
> 'project_timer contrib 00:21 2007-10-15 09:00:00 2007-10-15 09:21:38
>
> : Notes here.
>
> Or even VO headings.
>
> : With notes.
>
> 'nosql contrib 00:23 2007-10-15 09:24:32 2007-10-15 09:47:36
> 'finances wineskin 00:08 2007-10-15 09:48:38 2007-10-15 09:57:28
>
> It looks a lot better with syntax highlighting. ;)
>
> I currently have mappings so you can quickly start a task
> and end a task (which calculates the interval spent), as
> well as recalculate an interval if you need to change the
> times.
> I'm also using xautolock to record the time if I'm idle
> for more than 5 minutes, so I don't lose track if I forget
> to stop a task (like karm).

I'll have to look into that.

> Idea is to be able to track your work in a VO file while
> also being able to make notes.
> Then parse the file into a nosql table (also with syntax
> highlighting) so you can quickly anaylze how much time
> you've spent on each project.

I actually have a script that generates my monthly invoices (well at least
what I worked on for which client) for each client from the Billing section
using /rdb (commercial flat-file text database similar to NoSQL). It really
makes things easy.

>  - I'd also a way to get the functionality with Calendar.vim
> without having to bundle a tweaked version of it (that might
> break on an upgrade).

I have that same issue.

>  - Since I just found out about todo.sh from todotxt.com on
> this list, and am quite excited about it, I'm wondering
> about integrating that too. It might be faster to use that
> CLI approach to start and stop tasks.

I'm looking at this, too, from the earlier post.

> Anyhow, Noel, that's neat that you already have the basic
> calendar+VO functionality.

Thanks.

> > Is VimPim free software?
>
> It will be.
>
> > If so, where do I get it?
> >
> > SteveT
>
> Maybe Noel already has something to post; I'm afraid what I
> have right now might be a little messy to post publicly.
> Unless anyone wants to help. :) Then I could set up a beta
> page on my site.

I don't, yet.

> Bill

Noel

RE: Re: VimOutliner as a task manager?

Zdenek Sekera
Hi,

this thread is most interesting. I've also been using
all kind of things for these tasks in the past (including
my homegrown which I am ready to abandon next nanosecond),
none good enough to make me happy, but this looks awesome.
Will eagerly wait for your beta.
And thanks a million for this work!

Regards,

---Zdenek

Zdenek Sekera              | [hidden email]
LHC Computing Grid Project | +41 76 487 4971 (mobile)
CERN, IT Department        | +41 22 767 1068 (office)
CH-1211, Geneva 23, Switzerland

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

On Thursday 18 October 2007, Zdenek Sekera wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this thread is most interesting. I've also been using
> all kind of things for these tasks in the past (including
> my homegrown which I am ready to abandon next nanosecond),
> none good enough to make me happy, but this looks awesome.
> Will eagerly wait for your beta.
> And thanks a million for this work!
>
> Regards,
>
> ---Zdenek

I'll see if I can put something together over the weekend for those
interested to try.

And, you're welcome. But I couldn't have done it without Steve's original
ideas and help from Matej, Stephan and too many others to list here. On
that note, I'd like to thank all those developing and making available all
the post-processing scripts and programs. They really add a lot of value to
VO.

Noel

On Wednesday 17 October 2007 15:33, Noel Henson wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 October 2007, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Is VimPim free software? If so, where do I get it?
> >
> > SteveT
>
> Of course it's free. It uses Stephan's Vim/ruby calendar script (that
> creates the outline. It's coupled with the calendar.vim script from
> vim.org.

Did Stephan write VimPim, or did someone else springboard from Stephan's
calendar?

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware
http://www.troubleshooters.com/

Re: VimOutliner as a task manager?

Bill Powell
+++ Steve Litt [18/10/07 11:48 -0400]:

> On Wednesday 17 October 2007 15:33, Noel Henson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 17 October 2007, Steve Litt wrote:
> > > Is VimPim free software? If so, where do I get it?
> > >
> > > SteveT
> >
> > Of course it's free. It uses Stephan's Vim/ruby calendar script (that
> > creates the outline. It's coupled with the calendar.vim script from
> > vim.org.
>
> Did Stephan write VimPim, or did someone else springboard from Stephan's
> calendar?
>
> SteveT

Hi Steve,

AFAIK, I first mentioned the idea of "VimPim" right on this
list, here:

http://lists.vimoutliner.org/pipermail/vimoutliner/2007-August/001951.html

I wanted to tie to together VimOutliner, Stephan's calendar,
the calendar.vim plugin, and several other tools to make a
functioning PIM that you can use in Vim.

The problem is, I keep finding new things to add. :)

But it sounds like other folks, esp. Noel, have also had the
basic idea of tying Stephan's calendar scripts to the
calendar.vim plugin.

I'm currently redesigning my site, but since there seems to
be some interest I'm going to post what I've done so far in
the next day or so and post the link to this list (though
not to Vim.org; too beta for that yet).

I'm looking forward to seeing how Noel has tied Stephan's
calendars to the calendar.vim plugin: I'd bet his code is
cleaner. :)

On Thursday 18 October 2007 11:59, Bill Powell wrote:

> +++ Steve Litt [18/10/07 11:48 -0400]:

> > > Of course it's free. It uses Stephan's Vim/ruby calendar script (that
> > > creates the outline. It's coupled with the calendar.vim script from
> > > vim.org.
> >
> > Did Stephan write VimPim, or did someone else springboard from Stephan's
> > calendar?
> >
> > SteveT
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> AFAIK, I first mentioned the idea of "VimPim" right on this
> list, here:
>
> http://lists.vimoutliner.org/pipermail/vimoutliner/2007-August/001951.html

       *     *
        \ o /
         \|/
          |               C O O L
         / \  _
        /   \/
       /
      -

So in other words, after Stephan made his groundbreaking calendar, you
integrated it with the calendar.vim and other tools. Then Noel tied Stephan's
user interface with calendar.vim.

The VO crew is unstoppable!

SteveT
Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware
http://www.troubleshooters.com/

Re: Re: VimOutliner as a task manager?

Steve Litt
On Thursday 18 October 2007 11:59, Bill Powell wrote:

> I'm looking forward to seeing how Noel has tied Stephan's
> calendars to the calendar.vim plugin: I'd bet his code is
> cleaner. :)

I've always enjoyed reading Noel's code. Even in a language I don't understand
(Vim language), expressing some pretty complex concepts, I still find his
code readable and understandable, with just the right amount of comments.

When I created the colon based body text and executable line features, in both
cases I read Noel's code and used it, almost unmodified, to accomplish these
features.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware

On Thursday 18 October 2007, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Thursday 18 October 2007 11:59, Bill Powell wrote:
> > I'm looking forward to seeing how Noel has tied Stephan's
> > calendars to the calendar.vim plugin: I'd bet his code is
> > cleaner. :)
>
> I've always enjoyed reading Noel's code. Even in a language I don't
> understand (Vim language), expressing some pretty complex concepts, I
> still find his code readable and understandable, with just the right
> amount of comments.
>
> When I created the colon based body text and executable line features,
> in both cases I read Noel's code and used it, almost unmodified, to
> accomplish these features.

[blush]

I'll try to get a package and installation notes/article out this weekend.

Noel

12