VimWiki - released finally

12

VimWiki - released finally

Sebastian Menge
[cross-posted to vim, vim-dev, vim-announce, wikia-l]

Hi all

Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to

    http://vim.wikia.com

and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not everything
is perfect, but I think it is usable now.

Thanks to all the support from [hidden email] and especially to the very
kind wikia community (#wikia on freenode and the mailing list,
Greetings!).

Some words on contribution: A good wiki depends on two main factors:
Excellent content and a lively community. We have a lot of good content
now, but to make it excellent we need You!

If you ever posted a tip or a comment to the old tips database, please
have a look at it on the wiki, and review the page. Every little bit
helps!

See you on the wiki, Sebastian.

Re: VimWiki - released finally

Sebastian Menge
Am Dienstag, den 05.06.2007, 13:38 +0200 schrieb misi e:
> all what is missing now (as long as I know) an interface to access
> this wiki from vim itself .)

Easy with http://wikipediafs.sf.net :-)

Cool would be a vim-plugin that detects [[WikiPage]] and produces a link
that opens WikiPage.mw from the wikipediafs.

Seb.

Re: VimWiki - released finally

Tom Purl 2
On Tue, June 5, 2007 6:51 am, Sebastian Menge wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 05.06.2007, 13:38 +0200 schrieb misi e:
>> all what is missing now (as long as I know) an interface to access
>> this wiki from vim itself .)
>
> Easy with http://wikipediafs.sf.net :-)

Also, don't forget about the ItsAllText plugin for Firefox.

Tom Purl

On Tue, June 5, 2007 5:41 am, Sebastian Menge wrote:

> [cross-posted to vim, vim-dev, vim-announce, wikia-l]
>
> Hi all
>
> Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
>
>     http://vim.wikia.com
>
> and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not everything
> is perfect, but I think it is usable now.

Wow!  This really looks excellent Sebastian.  Also, it look very robust
and complete.

I really think that this implementation of the tips wiki is sufficient
and complete.  Does anyone disagree?  If so, what do you suggest?

Thanks again!

Tom Purl

Re: VimWiki - released finally

Tom Purl 2
How do you update the categories?  I can't seem to find that text when I
edit the full page.

Thanks!

Tom Purl

On Tue, June 5, 2007 6:51 am, Sebastian Menge wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 05.06.2007, 13:38 +0200 schrieb misi e:
>> all what is missing now (as long as I know) an interface to access
>> this wiki from vim itself .)
>
> Easy with http://wikipediafs.sf.net :-)
>
> Cool would be a vim-plugin that detects [[WikiPage]] and produces a link
> that opens WikiPage.mw from the wikipediafs.
>
> Seb.

Re: VimWiki - released finally

Muskoka Auto Parts Limited

Re: VimWiki - released finally

Luc Hermitte
Hello,

Tom Purl <[hidden email]> wrtoe:

> How do you update the categories?  I can't seem to find that text when I
> edit the full page.

We need to edit the tips to add them one, or several category tags.
e.g.: [[Category:Integration]]

BTW, nice work!

Luc Hermitte
http://hermitte.free.fr/vim/

Re: VimWiki - released finally

fREW Schmidt
On 6/5/07, Sebastian Menge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [cross-posted to vim, vim-dev, vim-announce, wikia-l]
>
> Hi all
>
> Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
>
>     http://vim.wikia.com
>
> and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not everything
> is perfect, but I think it is usable now.
>
> Thanks to all the support from [hidden email] and especially to the very
> kind wikia community (#wikia on freenode and the mailing list,
> Greetings!).
>
> Some words on contribution: A good wiki depends on two main factors:
> Excellent content and a lively community. We have a lot of good content
> now, but to make it excellent we need You!
>
> If you ever posted a tip or a comment to the old tips database, please
> have a look at it on the wiki, and review the page. Every little bit
> helps!
>
> See you on the wiki, Sebastian.

I am EXCITED!

-fREW

On Tue, June 5, 2007 12:36 pm, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Tom Purl <[hidden email]> wrtoe:
>
>> How do you update the categories?  I can't seem to find that text when I
>> edit the full page.
>
> We need to edit the tips to add them one, or several category tags.
> e.g.: [[Category:Integration]]

But I am editing a tip, and I don't see any reference to a
[[Category:Foo]] link.

Thanks!

Tom Purl

Re: VimWiki - released finally

Tom Purl 2
On Tue, June 5, 2007 11:34 am, Brian McKee wrote:

The recent changes page has links for both rss and atom feeds.

HTH!

Tom Purl

Re: VimWiki - released finally

Nico Weber-3

> Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
>
>     http://vim.wikia.com

if you must have ads, would it be possible to go with text-only ads?
Additionally, the "Digg this story" button at the bottom is stupid ;-)

Just my destructive 2 cents,
Nico

Selon Tom Purl <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, June 5, 2007 12:36 pm, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Tom Purl <[hidden email]> wrtoe:
> >
> >> How do you update the categories?  I can't seem to find that text when I
> >> edit the full page.
> >
> > We need to edit the tips to add them one, or several category tags.
> > e.g.: [[Category:Integration]]
>
> But I am editing a tip, and I don't see any reference to a
> [[Category:Foo]] link.

IIRC, the category won't appear in the general categories list until it has a
page associated (edit the description of the category).

However, if you have several pages for a given undocumented category (i.e.
having [[Category:Foo]]) and then open the default page for the category (i.e.
click on the red link) you will see all the related pages of that category.

From my very little experience regarding the organisation of a wiki from
scratch, I'll say that everytime we put a page into a new category, we have to
define right away the page of that new category. Otherwise, another similar, but
different) category may emerge.

Luc Hermitte
http://hermitte.free.fr/vim/

On Tue, June 5, 2007 1:14 pm, Brian McKee wrote:

> On 5-Jun-07, at 1:59 PM, Tom Purl wrote:

>>> Can someone point out how I can get an RSS feed of the recent
>>> changes?
>>>
>>> The page is here <http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Recentchanges>
>>
>> The recent changes page has links for both rss and atom feeds.
>
> Oh - I guess it's in the headers only - I was looking for a clickable
> link rather than just the indicator in the url bar.
>
> If there's a clickable link supposed to be there - I'm not seeing
> it....  and a quick /atom/ of the source only shows the link in the
> headers.

Here's what I'm seeing:

Using both IE and Firefox, I'm am seeing both RSS and Atom links in the
"toolbox" box.  This is true whether I am logged in or not.

Here's exactly what I see in the toolbox box:

    Toolbox
    * RSS  Atom
    * Upload file
    * Special pages

What are you seeing?

Thanks,

Tom Purl

Sebastian Menge wrote:

> [cross-posted to vim, vim-dev, vim-announce, wikia-l]
>
> Hi all
>
> Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
>
>     http://vim.wikia.com
>
> and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not everything
> is perfect, but I think it is usable now.
>
> Thanks to all the support from [hidden email] and especially to the very
> kind wikia community (#wikia on freenode and the mailing list,
> Greetings!).
>
> Some words on contribution: A good wiki depends on two main factors:
> Excellent content and a lively community. We have a lot of good content
> now, but to make it excellent we need You!
>
> If you ever posted a tip or a comment to the old tips database, please
> have a look at it on the wiki, and review the page. Every little bit
> helps!
>
> See you on the wiki, Sebastian.

Great!

Let's await comments for a few days, then I'll add a few links on
www.vim.org to the tips wiki.  That should give the wiki quite a bit
more traffic.

How about redirecting http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=805
to http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip805  (where 805 is an arbitrary
number)?

The Tips pages appear to load a bit slow, but otherwise it looks like
all the info from the old pages is there.

--
I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence.
There's a knob called "brightness", but it doesn't seem to work.

On Tue, June 5, 2007 2:29 pm, [hidden email] wrote:

> Selon Tom Purl <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On Tue, June 5, 2007 12:36 pm, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Tom Purl <[hidden email]> wrtoe:

>>> We need to edit the tips to add them one, or several category tags.
>>> e.g.: [[Category:Integration]]
>> But I am editing a tip, and I don't see any reference to a
>> [[Category:Foo]] link.
>
> IIRC, the category won't appear in the general categories list until
> it has a page associated (edit the description of the category).
>
> However, if you have several pages for a given undocumented category
> (i.e.  having [[Category:Foo]]) and then open the default page for the
> category (i.e.  click on the red link) you will see all the related
> pages of that category.
>
> From my very little experience regarding the organisation of a wiki
> from scratch, I'll say that everytime we put a page into a new
> category, we have to define right away the page of that new category.
> Otherwise, another similar, but different) category may emerge.

I don't think that I'm describing my problem very clearly.  I'm trying
to edit the following page:

* http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Indenting_%22throws%22_in_java

When I click on the "edit" link, I should see something similar to this:

    some text

    some more text

    [[Category:Foo]]

Instead, all I see is this:

    some text

    some more text

One would assume that if the "raw" version of the page didn't include a
[[Category:Foo]] link, then the published version also wouldn't include
any category information.  The weird thing is that the published version
of this particular page includes two categories; "Review" and "VimTip".

So what I don't understand is, why can't I change these categories?
I've been editing Mediawiki pages for 4 years, and I've never seen
anything like this.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tom Purl

Re: VimWiki - released finally

Robert Lee-7
Sebastian,

Why not utilize the "talk:" pages for the comments (see discussion tab
at top of each wiki page)?

Just curious.

-Robert

Tom Purl wrote:

> On Tue, June 5, 2007 2:29 pm, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Selon Tom Purl <[hidden email]>:

>>> But I am editing a tip, and I don't see any reference to a
>>> [[Category:Foo]] link.
>> IIRC, the category won't appear in the general categories list until
>> it has a page associated (edit the description of the category).
>>
>> However, if you have several pages for a given undocumented category
>> (i.e.  having [[Category:Foo]]) and then open the default page for the
>> category (i.e.  click on the red link) you will see all the related
>> pages of that category.
>>
>> From my very little experience regarding the organisation of a wiki
>> from scratch, I'll say that everytime we put a page into a new
>> category, we have to define right away the page of that new category.
>> Otherwise, another similar, but different) category may emerge.
>
> I don't think that I'm describing my problem very clearly.  I'm trying
> to edit the following page:
>
> * http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Indenting_%22throws%22_in_java
>
> When I click on the "edit" link, I should see something similar to this:
>
>     some text
>
>     some more text
>
>     [[Category:Foo]]
>
> Instead, all I see is this:
>
>     some text
>
>     some more text
>
> One would assume that if the "raw" version of the page didn't include a
> [[Category:Foo]] link, then the published version also wouldn't include
> any category information.  The weird thing is that the published version
> of this particular page includes two categories; "Review" and "VimTip".
>
> So what I don't understand is, why can't I change these categories?
> I've been editing Mediawiki pages for 4 years, and I've never seen
> anything like this.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!
>
> Tom Purl

If you click [edit] somewhere in the page, you edit the corresponding section.
To edit the whole page, click "Edit this page" at bottom.

Never commit yourself!  Let someone else commit you.

RE: VimWiki - released finally

Larson, David
> Sebastian,
>
> Why not utilize the "talk:" pages for the comments (see
> discussion tab at top of each wiki page)?
>
> Just curious.
>
> -Robert

Lets avoid using the vim-announce mailing list for a discussing of vim
wiki and stick to vim-dev.

David

RE: VimWiki - released finally

Hansen, Mike
[...]
> So what I don't understand is, why can't I change these categories?
> I've been editing Mediawiki pages for 4 years, and I've never seen
> anything like this.

This isn't a figment of Tom's mind.

I just poked around the wiki. I'm not seeing a way to change the
category of an existing article. When you create a new article, you can
assign categories, but I'm not seeing a way to change the category on an
existing article even if you edit the entire article by clicking on the
edit link at the top of the article.

If there is a way to change the category of an existing article, I'm
missing it.

Mike

12