Vimoutliner.org website upgrade

Noel Henson
Everyone,

I've been having a great deal of trouble attempting to upgrade the site to
a newer version of PostNuke and then to Drupal. I want to get the user
community going again. The lack of comment capability on the site due to
spammers had affected it greatly.

My question is, is it OK to dump the history and just start a fresh site?
I can copy over all the user-submitted downloads but comment history and
news articles will be lost.

I've been very busy on a couple of embedded systems projects and don't have
much more time to spare on the conversion. Would it be OK with all of you
if I just create a new site?

Thanks, all,

Noel

Re: Vimoutliner.org website upgrade

Chris Burkhardt
Noel Henson wrote:
> My question is, is it OK to dump the history and just start a fresh site?
> I can copy over all the user-submitted downloads but comment history and
> news articles will be lost.

It's okay with me. In fact I think it's a good idea.

- Chris

Re: Re: Vimoutliner.org website upgrade

Joshua B.
That sounds great. I'm  just so excited about the prospect of a new
website with up to date content.

Cheers,

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Chris Burkhardt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Noel Henson wrote:
>> My question is, is it OK to dump the history and just start a fresh site?
>> I can copy over all the user-submitted downloads but comment history and
>> news articles will be lost.
>
> It's okay with me. In fact I think it's a good idea.
>
> - Chris

Re: Vimoutliner.org website upgrade

Steve Litt
On Saturday 03 January 2009 04:43:30 pm Noel Henson wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> I've been having a great deal of trouble attempting to upgrade the site to
> a newer version of PostNuke and then to Drupal. I want to get the user
> community going again. The lack of comment capability on the site due to
> spammers had affected it greatly.
>
> My question is, is it OK to dump the history and just start a fresh site?
> I can copy over all the user-submitted downloads but comment history and
> news articles will be lost.
>
> I've been very busy on a couple of embedded systems projects and don't have
> much more time to spare on the conversion. Would it be OK with all of you
> if I just create a new site?
>
> Thanks, all,
>
> Noel

I'd suggest right now backing up everything, so that later, if for some reason
it becomes necessary, we can restore some parts of the articles on a case by
case basis.

You know, as long as we're talking about a brand new site, perhaps a cool way
of doing it would be to link to individual people's VO content. So, for
instance, perhaps Stephen Schmiedl has VO Calendar info on his site -- we
could simply link to that and be done with it.

Also, is there a way to make the front page less busy? I have bad eyes and a
short attention span, and sometimes when I go to the VO home page, my
immediate visceral reaction is "whoa, too much for me!"

Also, I think only members should be able to post. If someone doesn't care
enough to become a member, does he really have a strong enough point of view
to post? Jeff Masters' Weather Blog
(http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1174)
always features various commentors who think they're just sooooo
knowledgeable about hurricanes, but are really minor wannabes, and detract
from Dr. Masters' outstanding scientific hurricane commentary. By restricting
our posting to people willing to go through the hassle of membership, we'd
eliminate a lot of the flimflam (although I think some of Dr. Masters'
flimflam is from registered users).

Once we have a "members only" rule, I'll get an ID and password so I can post.

HTH

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

On Sunday 04 January 2009, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Saturday 03 January 2009 04:43:30 pm Noel Henson wrote:
> > Everyone,
> >
> > I've been having a great deal of trouble attempting to upgrade the
> > site to a newer version of PostNuke and then to Drupal. I want to get
> > the user community going again. The lack of comment capability on the
> > site due to spammers had affected it greatly.
> >
> > My question is, is it OK to dump the history and just start a fresh
> > site? I can copy over all the user-submitted downloads but comment
> > history and news articles will be lost.
> >
> > I've been very busy on a couple of embedded systems projects and don't
> > have much more time to spare on the conversion. Would it be OK with
> > all of you if I just create a new site?
> >
> > Thanks, all,
> >
> > Noel
>
> I'd suggest right now backing up everything, so that later, if for some
> reason it becomes necessary, we can restore some parts of the articles
> on a case by case basis.

Already done.

> You know, as long as we're talking about a brand new site, perhaps a
> cool way of doing it would be to link to individual people's VO content.
> So, for instance, perhaps Stephen Schmiedl has VO Calendar info on his
> site -- we could simply link to that and be done with it.

That can be done.

> Also, is there a way to make the front page less busy? I have bad eyes
> and a short attention span, and sometimes when I go to the VO home page,
> my immediate visceral reaction is "whoa, too much for me!"

I'll see what I can do about that. It doesn't appear too busy for me but
the font size is a bit small.

> Also, I think only members should be able to post. If someone doesn't
> care enough to become a member, does he really have a strong enough
> point of view to post? Jeff Masters' Weather Blog
> (http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1174
>) always features various commentors who think they're just sooooo
> knowledgeable about hurricanes, but are really minor wannabes, and
> detract from Dr. Masters' outstanding scientific hurricane commentary.
> By restricting our posting to people willing to go through the hassle of
> membership, we'd eliminate a lot of the flimflam (although I think some
> of Dr. Masters' flimflam is from registered users).
>
> Once we have a "members only" rule, I'll get an ID and password so I can
> post.

There will be a members-only rule. Just like the current site.
Unfortunately, it was easy for scripts to log in and SPAM the site. The new
site will have protection from that.

> HTH
>
> SteveT

Noel