Vin crashes with "Caught deadly signal ABRT" unless launched without .vimrc

Vin crashes with "Caught deadly signal ABRT" unless launched without .vimrc

Ottavio Caruso
Hi all,

I'd like to have the opinion of this list before reporting this issue
as a bug on github.

I have compiled and installed Vim using pkgsrc on my Linux Mint Debian Edition.
I've already reported the issue on the pkgsrc-users list and it has
been suggested that I report the issue upstream.

The build has run fine, but, and this seems to be a common failure,
when Vim is launched, it crashes like this:

$vim
Vim: Caught deadly signal
Vim: Finished.

Full vim --version here:
http://paste.debian.net/hidden/ded7a246/

Full build log here:
http://paste.debian.net/hidden/5ebf5480/

I've made a gdb capture here:
http://paste.debian.net/hidden/4ca4bed2/

Temporary workarounds:

1) `vim -u NONE` # works, but without modules

2) recompiling with the option: "CFLAGS=-g INSTALL_UNSTRIPPED=yes" #
produces a binary without crashes.

Any input will be appreciated.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Vim crashes with "Caught deadly signal ABRT" unless launched without .vimrc

Ottavio Caruso
[Apologies if you have already received this email. I have not seen it
on the web interface, so I'm re-sending it.]

[...]

Re: Vim crashes with "Caught deadly signal ABRT" unless launched without .vimrc

Tony Mechelynck
On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 5:54 AM 'Ottavio Caruso' via vim_use
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [Apologies if you have already received this email. I have not seen it
> on the web interface, so I'm re-sending it.]

Anyone's first mail to the list has to be validated by a human
moderator; this is annoying, but we found nothing better to fight
spam. Now moderators are few, and they must also work for a salary
and/or sleep and/or go shopping and/or have time for their family
and/or…, so they aren't constantly on watch on the Vim lists. This
explains why a new poster's first post usually waits for hours before
it appears on the list. If that first post is not spam, the moderator
will whitelist its author and subsequent posts by the same author will
usually appear in a matter of seconds.

Re-sending a first post which is still in the moderators' pending
queue doesn't help, it just gets added to the same queue, increasing
the moderator's workload.

Re: Vim crashes with "Caught deadly signal ABRT" unless launched without .vimrc

Dominique Pellé
'Ottavio Caruso' via vim_use <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [Apologies if you have already received this email. I have not seen it
> on the web interface, so I'm re-sending it.]
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to have the opinion of this list before reporting this issue
> as a bug on github.
>
> I have compiled and installed Vim using pkgsrc on my Linux Mint Debian Edition.
> I've already reported the issue on the pkgsrc-users list and it has
> been suggested that I report the issue upstream.
>
> The build has run fine, but, and this seems to be a common failure,
> when Vim is launched, it crashes like this:
>
> $vim
> Vim: Caught deadly signal
> Vim: Finished.
>
> Full vim --version here:
> http://paste.debian.net/hidden/ded7a246/
>
> Full build log here:
> http://paste.debian.net/hidden/5ebf5480/
>
> I've made a gdb capture here:
> http://paste.debian.net/hidden/4ca4bed2/
>
> Temporary workarounds:
>
> 1) `vim -u NONE` # works, but without modules
>
> 2) recompiling with the option: "CFLAGS=-g INSTALL_UNSTRIPPED=yes"
> produces a binary without crashes.
>
> Any input will be appreciated.

Your links don't work unfortunately.

My guess is that you did not build with:

 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1

Without this, Vim crashes at startup.

Normally the configure script should set those
compilation flags but if you override it, you may
run into the problem.

Other things to try:

1) run vim with valgrind, which will report memory errors
if any:

$ valgrind --num-callers=50 --track-origins=yes ./vim 2> vg.log

Then look at vg.log

2) You can also build with asan (address sanitizer).
Uncomment out this line in vim/src/Makefile:

SANITIZER_CFLAGS = -g -O0 -fsanitize=undefined -fno-omit-frame-pointer

Then:

$ cd vim/src
$ make clean ; make -j8
$ ./vim 2> asan.log

And look into the asan.log for memory errors.

Regards
Dominique

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 07:18, Dominique Pellé <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your links don't work unfortunately.

Yes, sorry, blame Debian. I'm not sure if attachments are allowed, but
I've attached vim-version, build logs and the crash logs. Let me know
if they are visible and allowed.

> My guess is that you did not build with:
>
>  -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1

As per logs, this was part of the compilation options.

> Other things to try:
>
> 1) run vim with valgrind, which will report memory errors
> if any:
>
> $ valgrind --num-callers=50 --track-origins=yes ./vim 2> vg.log
>
> Then look at vg.log
>
> 2) You can also build with asan (address sanitizer).
> Uncomment out this line in vim/src/Makefile:
>
> SANITIZER_CFLAGS = -g -O0 -fsanitize=undefined -fno-omit-frame-pointer
>
> Then:
>
> $ cd vim/src
> $ make clean ; make -j8
> $ ./vim 2> asan.log

I'll forward this to the pkgsr-users list. If the logs are not
attached, I'll paste them in my next email.

--
Ottavio Caruso

vim-gdb.txt (36K) Download Attachment
vim-version.log.txt (3K) Download Attachment
vim-current-replace.log.txt (73K) Download Attachment

Re: Vin crashes with "Caught deadly signal ABRT" unless launched without .vimrc

Ottavio Caruso wrote:

> I'd like to have the opinion of this list before reporting this issue
> as a bug on github.
>
> I have compiled and installed Vim using pkgsrc on my Linux Mint Debian Edition.
> I've already reported the issue on the pkgsrc-users list and it has
> been suggested that I report the issue upstream.
>
> The build has run fine, but, and this seems to be a common failure,
> when Vim is launched, it crashes like this:
>
> $vim
> Vim: Caught deadly signal
> Vim: Finished.
>
> Full vim --version here:
> http://paste.debian.net/hidden/ded7a246/
>
> Full build log here:
> http://paste.debian.net/hidden/5ebf5480/
>
> I've made a gdb capture here:
> http://paste.debian.net/hidden/4ca4bed2/
>
> Temporary workarounds:
>
> 1) `vim -u NONE` # works, but without modules
>
> 2) recompiling with the option: "CFLAGS=-g INSTALL_UNSTRIPPED=yes" #
> produces a binary without crashes.
>
> Any input will be appreciated.

It looks like you run into the false-positive fortify check.
Although the build log mentiones -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1 it behaves like a
higher fortify level was used.

--
FATHER:    You only killed the bride's father - that's all -
LAUNCELOT: Oh dear, I didn't really mean to...

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 14:37, Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It looks like you run into the false-positive fortify check.
> Although the build log mentiones -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1 it behaves like a
> higher fortify level was used.

Thanks for your input Bram. I wanted to make a couple of checks before
getting back you.

In pkgsrc, as default we have:

PKGSRC_USE_FORTIFY?= strong

As explained here:
http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/mk/defaults/mk.conf

PKGSRC_USE_FORTIFY?= strong
# Turns on substitute wrappers for commonly used functions that do not bounds
# checking regularly, but could in some cases. This is effectively in use only
# when both enabled and supported.
# Possible values:
# no:     Do not pass any flags for FORTIFY
# weak:   Pass -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
# strong: Pass -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
# Default: strong

I have rebuilt with PKGSRC_USE_FORTIFY?=weak

and this seems to produce an installation that doesn't crash.

I've passed this information to pkgsrc-users and the editors/vim
package maintainer.

Thanks for you assistance.

--
Ottavio Caruso