Visual artifacts when running in some terminal emulators

Visual artifacts when running in some terminal emulators

Олег Андриянов
Hi!

Recently I have built fresh vim 8.2 to use it's embedded terminal feature, and I started to notice some weird artifacts when inserting text. It's like vim forgets to redraw the screen or something. For example, here is a screenshot right after I run "vim-8.2 -u NONE" and hit "i" to start inserting text:

https://i.imgur.com/mHq18Ni.png

Note that I didn't actually enter anything after hitting "i". Also note that welcome screen text is still present on the screen — it must disappear when you switch to the insert mode. When I hit Ctrl+L, the artifacts disappear, but they come back every time I start inserting.

I observe the problem only when I run vim inside terminator. When I use xterm, everything works fine. It also works well when I run vim inside GNU screen. There is no such issue with vim version 8.0.197 running inside the same terminator.

I really like new features of vim 8.2. How can I work around this glitches, besides always starting vim inside GNU screen?

Re: Visual artifacts when running in some terminal emulators

Tony Mechelynck
On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 4:00 PM Олег Андриянов <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Recently I have built fresh vim 8.2 to use it's embedded terminal feature, and I started to notice some weird artifacts when inserting text. It's like vim forgets to redraw the screen or something. For example, here is a screenshot right after I run "vim-8.2 -u NONE" and hit "i" to start inserting text:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/mHq18Ni.png
>
> Note that I didn't actually enter anything after hitting "i". Also note that welcome screen text is still present on the screen — it must disappear when you switch to the insert mode. When I hit Ctrl+L, the artifacts disappear, but they come back every time I start inserting.
>
> I observe the problem only when I run vim inside terminator. When I use xterm, everything works fine. It also works well when I run vim inside GNU screen. There is no such issue with vim version 8.0.197 running inside the same terminator.
>
> I really like new features of vim 8.2. How can I work around this glitches, besides always starting vim inside GNU screen?

Hm. My guess is that your Terminator executable pretends to be an
xterm but doesn't act 100% like one, and that you hit one of those
corner cases when it doesn't.

Vim works well, and doesn't show those spurious characters, in the
following circumstances:
- when run as gvim (i.e. as a GUI)
- when run in a "true" xterm
- when run in a pseudo xterm which really mimics the behaviour of a
true xterm. My konsole terminal (version 18.12.3) is one. There are
others.

Myself, I don't use Terminator, but maybe someone else (who does) is
reading this.

Re: Visual artifacts when running in some terminal emulators

rob-2
I use terminator on  ubuntu.  I've been compiling my self from source
for about a year, so I'm now using 8.2.52, compiled this morning.

I have not seen any issues or video artifacts at all when using vim from
within terminator.  I also use guake; also, no issues or video artifacts.

I don't know if this matters, but no matter what I've tried, I cannot
get the binary to have lua.  So my vim still shows "-lua"

--rob solomon

On 12/28/19 10:21 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 4:00 PM Олег Андриянов <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Recently I have built fresh vim 8.2 to use it's embedded terminal feature, and I started to notice some weird artifacts when inserting text. It's like vim forgets to redraw the screen or something. For example, here is a screenshot right after I run "vim-8.2 -u NONE" and hit "i" to start inserting text:
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/mHq18Ni.png
>>
>> Note that I didn't actually enter anything after hitting "i". Also note that welcome screen text is still present on the screen — it must disappear when you switch to the insert mode. When I hit Ctrl+L, the artifacts disappear, but they come back every time I start inserting.
>>
>> I observe the problem only when I run vim inside terminator. When I use xterm, everything works fine. It also works well when I run vim inside GNU screen. There is no such issue with vim version 8.0.197 running inside the same terminator.
>>
>> I really like new features of vim 8.2. How can I work around this glitches, besides always starting vim inside GNU screen?
> Hm. My guess is that your Terminator executable pretends to be an
> xterm but doesn't act 100% like one, and that you hit one of those
> corner cases when it doesn't.
>
> Vim works well, and doesn't show those spurious characters, in the
> following circumstances:
> - when run as gvim (i.e. as a GUI)
> - when run in a "true" xterm
> - when run in a pseudo xterm which really mimics the behaviour of a
> true xterm. My konsole terminal (version 18.12.3) is one. There are
> others.
>
> Myself, I don't use Terminator, but maybe someone else (who does) is
> reading this.
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.

Re: Visual artifacts when running in some terminal emulators

Олег Андриянов
Hi,

Just in case anyone has the same issue, I found that unsetting options t_TI and t_TE helps, so I put these two lines into my ~/.vimrc and everything seems to work fine so far:

```
set t_TI=
set t_TE=
```

Apparently Terminator indeed does not support some xterm-specific control sequences.