Volunteer for Snow Leopard snapshot building

Volunteer for Snow Leopard snapshot building

Douglas Drumond
Hi,

I'm the guy building MacVim for Lion and Snow Leopard (the previous dev lost access to his Snow Leopard machine). But recently I had to upgrade my Lion to Mountain Lion. Now I have one machine with Snow Leopard, but I'll soon upgrade it to Lion, so I won't be able to build for Snow Leopard anymore, just Lion and Mountain Lion (but that one Björn already does). This Lion machine will stay forever on Lion, it's the latest OS it supports, but the Mountain Lion one probably will be upgraded to Maverick.

TL;DR: count on me forever (or until my old laptop breaks) for Lion builds, but soon I'll drop support for Snow Leopard.

Douglas Drumond
eee19.com
gplus.to/douglasdrumond
@douglasdrumond

Re: Volunteer for Snow Leopard snapshot building

Björn Winckler
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Douglas Drumond wrote:

> I'm the guy building MacVim for Lion and Snow Leopard (the previous dev lost
> access to his Snow Leopard machine). But recently I had to upgrade my Lion
> to Mountain Lion. Now I have one machine with Snow Leopard, but I'll soon
> upgrade it to Lion, so I won't be able to build for Snow Leopard anymore,
> just Lion and Mountain Lion (but that one Björn already does). This Lion
> machine will stay forever on Lion, it's the latest OS it supports, but the
> Mountain Lion one probably will be upgraded to Maverick.
>
> TL;DR: count on me forever (or until my old laptop breaks) for Lion builds,
> but soon I'll drop support for Snow Leopard.

I actually got fed up with Mountain Lion a few weeks back and reverted
to Snow Leopard so I can take care of that for now.  Perhaps you can
take care of (Lion &) Mavericks as it is very unlikely I'll be
installing that any time soon.  I have a Mountain Lion machine at work
so I should be able to cover that as well.

Björn

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM, björn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I actually got fed up with Mountain Lion a few weeks back and reverted
> to Snow Leopard so I can take care of that for now.  Perhaps you can
> take care of (Lion &) Mavericks as it is very unlikely I'll be
> installing that any time soon.  I have a Mountain Lion machine at work
> so I should be able to cover that as well.

Deal. Also, if you need help with Mountain Lion, I have a Mountain Lion machine at work too. So, I'll upgrade my old notebook to Lion and when consumer version of Mavericks come out, I'll upgrade my new laptop to it (I'm no longer a registered developer). We'll have 4 versions covered.

--
Douglas Drumond
eee19.com

Bee

On Jun 11, 11:55 am, björn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I actually got fed up with Mountain Lion a few weeks back and reverted
> to Snow Leopard so I can take care of that for now.
> Björn

Does that mean there will be an 'official' update of MacVim for Snow
Leopard.

Bill

Re: Volunteer for Snow Leopard snapshot building

Eric Weir

On Jun 11, 2013, at 2:55 PM, björn wrote:

> I actually got fed up with Mountain Lion a few weeks back and reverted
> to Snow Leopard...

Didn't know that was possible. Will be getting a new MacBook Air soon. Might want to do the same myself, though I also worry about being abandoned by the company if I do.

Eric Weir
[hidden email]

"The invincible shield of caring
Is a weapon sent from the sky
against being dead."

- Tao Te Ching 67

Bee

Re: Volunteer for Snow Leopard snapshot building

Bee
On Jun 11, 11:55 am, björn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I actually got fed up with Mountain Lion a few weeks back and reverted
> to Snow Leopard so I can take care of that for now.
> Björn

Björn

I downloaded the source from github and it compiled and ran on Snow
Leopard.

ok, curiosity got me... surprise!

It also compiles and runs on a PowerBook G3 Pismo 500 with 10.4.11
(Tiger)

Bill

Bee

On Jun 14, 7:48 am, Eric Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2013, at 2:55 PM, björn wrote:
>
> > I actually got fed up with Mountain Lion a few weeks back and reverted
> > to Snow Leopard...
>
> Didn't know that was possible. Will be getting a new MacBook Air soon. Might want to do the same myself, though I also worry about being abandoned by the company if I do.

> Eric Weir
> [hidden email]
>
> "The invincible shield of caring
> Is a weapon sent from the sky
> against being dead."
>
> - Tao Te Ching 67

Eric

Björn probably reverted an older Mac that is capable of running Snow
Leopard. I suspect any new Mac will require Mountain Lion or better.

Bill

On Jun 14, 2013, at 11:44 AM, Bee wrote:

> Björn probably reverted an older Mac that is capable of running Snow
> Leopard. I suspect any new Mac will require Mountain Lion or better.

Thanks, Bill. Guess I'll have to be content with ML. Hope OS X doesn't become like iOS.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA
[hidden email]

"A man should be in the world as though he were not in it
so that it will be no worse because of his life."

- Wendell Berry

Bee

On Jun 15, 3:24 pm, Eric Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Jun 14, 2013, at 11:44 AM, Bee wrote:
>
> > Björn probably reverted an older Mac that is capable of running Snow
> > Leopard. I suspect any new Mac will require Mountain Lion or better.
>
> Thanks, Bill. Guess I'll have to be content with ML. Hope OS X doesn't become like iOS.

When I setup a new Mac for a client,
I make it look/work like Snow Leopard.
As the client learns about cool new features,
the client can change the settings.

OS X will become like iOS and iOS will be better.

Bill

On Jun 15, 2013, at 6:39 PM, Bee wrote:

> When I setup a new Mac for a client,
> I make it look/work like Snow Leopard.
> As the client learns about cool new features,
> the client can change the settings.

I probably shouldn't ask how to do that. Just work my way to a configuration that I'm comfortable with gradually over time. I've made a little progress already. And no need to hurry.

> OS X will become like iOS and iOS will be better.

Darn! Oh good! Hope yer right.