Votes: Some questions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Votes: Some questions

Stefan Karlsson-3
Hello Bram and anyone else that works with the development of Vim -- by
the way, is there anyone else, or is it a one-man mission?

1. I've voted for some features I'd like implemented in Vim 7. Are the
votes used as a hint to what you should work on, or do they really
_define_ your schedule?

2. There's one item on the voting list called "add integration with
Python instead of inventing more Vim script". In case you implement
this, would you still maintain compability with the old scripts?

3. In case you implement this particular item, would the user then have
to install a separate Python "engine" (Probably a stupid question but I
don't know much about Python)?

4. I see that many people have voted for intellisense and I think I've
also seen some mails indicating that you are working on a solution. Will
it be possible for the user to add intellisense for his own languages
(just like it works with syntax highlighting today)? I guess
intellisense is a hard nut to crack, and it probably wouldn't be fun for
you to hard-code it for all languages ... Or perhaps you've chosen a
smaller scope and only support the most common languages?


-- Stefan




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Votes: Some questions

Bram Moolenaar

Stefan Karlsson wrote:

> Hello Bram and anyone else that works with the development of Vim -- by
> the way, is there anyone else, or is it a one-man mission?

I'm doing most of the work, but there are many others that make patches,
write scripts, do translation, etc.

> 1. I've voted for some features I'd like implemented in Vim 7. Are the
> votes used as a hint to what you should work on, or do they really
> _define_ your schedule?

I see them as user requests.  It helps me decide what to work on next,
but I also take into account how much work something is and how well it
fits in with the general goals of Vim.

> 2. There's one item on the voting list called "add integration with
> Python instead of inventing more Vim script". In case you implement
> this, would you still maintain compability with the old scripts?

This item is more to get opinions than to actually implement something.
We already have Python integration.  I suppose it could be imrpoved a
bit, but main thing will be that more people would use it and write
clever scripts with it.  That doesn't appear to happen.

I did style new features in Vim script after Python, especially
Dictionaries.  But backwards compatibility requirements prevent us from
doing much more.

> 3. In case you implement this particular item, would the user then have
> to install a separate Python "engine" (Probably a stupid question but I
> don't know much about Python)?

The Python interface does require Python to be present.  There doesn't
appear to be version-specific issues.  There was some issue with
threading but it appears to be solved now.

> 4. I see that many people have voted for intellisense and I think I've
> also seen some mails indicating that you are working on a solution. Will
> it be possible for the user to add intellisense for his own languages
> (just like it works with syntax highlighting today)? I guess
> intellisense is a hard nut to crack, and it probably wouldn't be fun for
> you to hard-code it for all languages ... Or perhaps you've chosen a
> smaller scope and only support the most common languages?

I'm just about to start looking into this.  Support for many languages
is mandatory and I can't implement them all, thus some way for end-users
to add support for a language is certainly a goal.  But it also needs to
work properly and fast, I'll have to find out how to do all that.

--
We apologise again for the fault in the subtitles.  Those responsible for
sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
                 "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        Sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\              Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\     Buy LOTR 3 and help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF.nl/lotr.html   ///
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Votes: Some questions

A.J.Mechelynck
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bram Moolenaar" <[hidden email]>
To: "Stefan Karlsson" <[hidden email]>
Cc: <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 11:53 AM
Subject: Re: Votes: Some questions


>
> Stefan Karlsson wrote:
[...]
>> 2. There's one item on the voting list called "add integration with
>> Python instead of inventing more Vim script". In case you implement
>> this, would you still maintain compability with the old scripts?
[...]
>> 3. In case you implement this particular item, would the user then have
>> to install a separate Python "engine" (Probably a stupid question but I
>> don't know much about Python)?
>
> The Python interface does require Python to be present.  There doesn't
> appear to be version-specific issues.  There was some issue with
> threading but it appears to be solved now.
[...]

One issue that could be regarded as, well, maybe not "version-specific" but
"version-related", is that when used centrally-compiled versions of Vim (for
instance mine, haha), any interpreted language (i.e., Python, but also Perl,
Ruby, TCL, and, for version 7, MzScheme) must, to be usable, be installed
with the same version on the machine doing the compile and on the machine of
every end-user wanting to use the language interface.


Best regards,
Tony.