Quantcast

Vundle vs Pathogen

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Vundle vs Pathogen

Donie Leigh
Hi all,

I've made a study about vundle and pathogen, I want to hear opinions
of others, how do you think about it ?

I have been using Pathogen for a long time and I am happy with it. But
it seems that more and more Vim scripts are recommending to use Vundle
in their install references. So I made a study today, the conclusion
is, although almost all the articles I found from Google have a
positive attitude on Vundle, I still prefer Pathogen.

Most supporters of Vundle praise it for one reason, that is, it can
install and update scripts automatically, which is lacked by Pathogen.
Yes, since Vundle leverages the vim-scripts repository on GitHub, it
is really easier to do so than Pathogen. But the disadvantage is as
good as the advantage. I found that the vim-scripts repo is not
updated in time, the latest activity was carried out a month ago ! As
an OCD patient of updating, I cannot tolerate old versions of vim
scripts. Although that Vundle supports using scripts’ git repos of
their own (either on GitHub or other places), there is still a
problem, what if authors commit broken code to the master brunch ?

Moreover, not all scripts are deposited in public git repos. How can I
organize those scripts in ~/.vim/bundle/ and prevent :BundleClean from
deleting them at the same time ?

Pathogen only handles the organization job that puts scripts in
individual folders under ~/.vim/bundle/, so there is without the above
problem. For updating issues, GetLatestVimScripts.vim is a good
choice, it fetches the latest stable updates from vim.org, so I don’t
have to worry about careless commits. The only problem is, when
GetLatestVimScripts.vim downloads all packages, I should install them
manually. But since most scripts rarely update, I think this is not a
hard work to do.

My blog post: http://0x3f.org/blog/vundle-vs-pathogen/

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vundle vs Pathogen

MarcWeber
Excerpts from Donie Leigh's message of Thu May 23 14:38:54 +0200 2013:
> I've made a study about vundle and pathogen, I want to hear opinions
> of others, how do you think about it ?

Contribute your findings to this document:
http://vim-wiki.mawercer.de/wiki/topic/vim%20plugin%20managment.html

> I have been using Pathogen for a long time and I am happy with it. But
> it seems that more and more Vim scripts are recommending to use Vundle
> in their install references.

Yes - and how "biased" this view is can be seen that vim-addon-manager
is seldomly listed, even though its the most powerful one IMHO.

Where did you look for a reply before doing this research?
Trying to understand how to improve this for the community,
because this happens often, that people get something done,
then later see that they did the wrong thing (comparing 2 solutions
only, ignoring a third, which should not have been missed).

Marc Weber

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vundle vs Pathogen

Christian Brabandt
In reply to this post by Donie Leigh
On Thu, May 23, 2013 14:38, Donie Leigh wrote:
> I found that the vim-scripts repo is not
> updated in time, the latest activity was carried out a month ago ! As
> an OCD patient of updating, I cannot tolerate old versions of vim
> scripts.

I don't know what an OCD patient is, but I don't understand, why
you "cannot tolerate old versions of vim scripts"? If they work well
for you, why bother?

regards,
Christian

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vundle vs Pathogen

Phil Dobbin
On 23/05/2013 16:19, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> On Thu, May 23, 2013 14:38, Donie Leigh wrote:
>> I found that the vim-scripts repo is not
>> updated in time, the latest activity was carried out a month ago ! As
>> an OCD patient of updating, I cannot tolerate old versions of vim
>> scripts.
>
> I don't know what an OCD patient is, but I don't understand, why
> you "cannot tolerate old versions of vim scripts"? If they work well
> for you, why bother?

For further reinforcement of what Christian's saying, refer to the first
law of system administration: if it's working correctly unless you have
a *really* good reason to, don't just upgrade for the sake of it.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy, Spherical &
That Damn Cat, Lubuntu 12.10, OS X Snow Leopard & Tiger, Ubuntu Precise,
Quantal & Raring
GnuGPG Key : http://phildobbin.org/publickey.asc


--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vundle vs Pathogen

Gary Johnson-4
In reply to this post by Christian Brabandt
On 2013-05-23, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2013 14:38, Donie Leigh wrote:
> > I found that the vim-scripts repo is not
> > updated in time, the latest activity was carried out a month ago ! As
> > an OCD patient of updating, I cannot tolerate old versions of vim
> > scripts.
>
> I don't know what an OCD patient is, but I don't understand, why
> you "cannot tolerate old versions of vim scripts"? If they work well
> for you, why bother?

OCD - Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder - an anxiety disorder
characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness,
apprehension, fear, or worry; by repetitive behaviors aimed at
reducing the associated anxiety; or by a combination of such
obsessions and compulsions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder

Regards,
Gary

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vundle vs Pathogen

Donie Leigh
@Marc Thanks for your recommendation, it seems VAM gives consideration
to both statibility and radicalism. I will give it try.

2013/5/24 Gary Johnson <[hidden email]>:

> On 2013-05-23, Christian Brabandt wrote:
>> On Thu, May 23, 2013 14:38, Donie Leigh wrote:
>> > I found that the vim-scripts repo is not
>> > updated in time, the latest activity was carried out a month ago ! As
>> > an OCD patient of updating, I cannot tolerate old versions of vim
>> > scripts.
>>
>> I don't know what an OCD patient is, but I don't understand, why
>> you "cannot tolerate old versions of vim scripts"? If they work well
>> for you, why bother?
>
> OCD - Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder - an anxiety disorder
> characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness,
> apprehension, fear, or worry; by repetitive behaviors aimed at
> reducing the associated anxiety; or by a combination of such
> obsessions and compulsions.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder
>
> Regards,
> Gary
>
> --
> --
> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>
>

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Vundle vs Pathogen

Rostislav Svoboda
In reply to this post by Phil Dobbin
>>> As an OCD patient of updating, I cannot tolerate old versions of vim scripts.
>>
>> I don't know what an OCD patient is, but I don't understand, why you "cannot tolerate old versions of vim scripts"?

Hahaha :) ... nice weekend to everyone :)

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Loading...