W16: Warning: Mode of file has changed

Eli the Bearded
Help has this to say:

                                                         *W16*
   Warning: Mode of file "{filename}" has changed since editing started

 When the timestamp for a buffer was changed and the contents are still the
 same but the mode (permissions) have changed.  This usually occurs when
 checking out a file from a version control system, which causes the read-only
 bit to be reset.  It should be safe to reload the file.  Set 'autoread' to
 automatically reload the file.

Is there a fix besides set autoread? In my usage, 100% of the time I get
this warning when I run a command like

        :! chmod 755 %

I get that it is helpful to detect for some usecases, but I'd like this
to just be silenced and ignored all of the time. I'm hoping there is
some vim setting I don't know about which will take a list of
warnings to not warn about.

Elijah

Re: W16: Warning: Mode of file has changed

Bram Moolenaar

Elijah wrote:

> Help has this to say:
>
>                                                          *W16*
>    Warning: Mode of file "{filename}" has changed since editing started
>
>  When the timestamp for a buffer was changed and the contents are still the
>  same but the mode (permissions) have changed.  This usually occurs when
>  checking out a file from a version control system, which causes the read-only
>  bit to be reset.  It should be safe to reload the file.  Set 'autoread' to
>  automatically reload the file.
>
> Is there a fix besides set autoread? In my usage, 100% of the time I get
> this warning when I run a command like
>
> :! chmod 755 %
>
> I get that it is helpful to detect for some usecases, but I'd like this
> to just be silenced and ignored all of the time. I'm hoping there is
> some vim setting I don't know about which will take a list of
> warnings to not warn about.

You can use the FileChangedShell autocommand and check that v:fcs_reason
is equal to "mode".  Set v:fcs_choice to "ask" if not.

235. You start naming your kids Pascal, COBOL, Algol and Fortran.