Weird crashes (7.4-70)

Goran Topic
Hello.

I've run `brew update` yesterday, and got MacVim 7.4-70 installed with it. I've also switched from Vundle to NeoBundle, and installed a couple of new plugins (Shougo/vimproc, Shougo/unite.vim, tpope/vim-dispatch, tpope/vim-commentary), but I don't think it is relevant. I am not 100% sure though, so I thought to mention it.

Today I experienced a weird crash situation. MacVim started crashing on one of my Ruby files. I tried to find a minimal example, which I'm attaching, and also pasting here:

------------------
x =
              y(
              )
------------------

$ mvim test.rb
Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV
Vim: Finished.
(in further text: crash)

$ rm ~/.vimrc   # my only vim rc file
$ mvim test.rb
(crash)

$ mvim -u NORC test.rb
(no crash)

$ vim test.rb   # macvim/7.4-70/bin/vim, not system vim
(no crash)

$ cp test.rb test.txt
$ mvim test.txt
(no crash)

If I remove the indentation from the line 3 (`z`) from 16 spaces to 15 (using another editor or console vim), and then

$ mvim test.rb
(no crash)
:3<CR>i<space>
(crash)

So...
- it happens only when `-g` is in effect
- it happens when 'ft=ruby'
- it happens on very specific syntax
- it happens with no .vimrc, but not when skipping rc files

Can anyone else confirm this behaviour, or is it just me?

Goran

test.rb (59 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Weird crashes (7.4-70)

Goran Topic
Update:

You can forget about the test file; the crash happens if there is a line indented to 16 spaces, all the rest is irrelevant. So you could open a new Ruby file, and just insert 16 spaces to reproduce.

Goran

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 3:59:44 PM UTC+9, Goran Topic wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I've run `brew update` yesterday, and got MacVim 7.4-70 installed with it. I've also switched from Vundle to NeoBundle, and installed a couple of new plugins (Shougo/vimproc, Shougo/unite.vim, tpope/vim-dispatch, tpope/vim-commentary), but I don't think it is relevant. I am not 100% sure though, so I thought to mention it.
>
> Today I experienced a weird crash situation. MacVim started crashing on one of my Ruby files. I tried to find a minimal example, which I'm attaching, and also pasting here:
>
> ------------------
> x =
>               y(
>               )
> ------------------
>
> $ mvim test.rb
> Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV
> Vim: Finished.
> (in further text: crash)
>
> $ rm ~/.vimrc   # my only vim rc file
> $ mvim test.rb
> (crash)
>
> $ mvim -u NORC test.rb
> (no crash)
>
> $ vim test.rb   # macvim/7.4-70/bin/vim, not system vim
> (no crash)
>
> $ cp test.rb test.txt
> $ mvim test.txt
> (no crash)
>
> If I remove the indentation from the line 3 (`z`) from 16 spaces to 15 (using another editor or console vim), and then
>
> $ mvim test.rb
> (no crash)
> :3<CR>i<space>
> (crash)
>
> So...
> - it happens only when `-g` is in effect
> - it happens when 'ft=ruby'
> - it happens on very specific syntax
> - it happens with no .vimrc, but not when skipping rc files
>
> Can anyone else confirm this behaviour, or is it just me?
>
> Goran

Re: Weird crashes (7.4-70)

Bram Moolenaar

Goran Topic wrote:

> Update:
>
> You can forget about the test file; the crash happens if there is a
> line indented to 16 spaces, all the rest is irrelevant. So you could
> open a new Ruby file, and just insert 16 spaces to reproduce.

Sounds like the problem that is fixed by patch 7.4.003

--
Two percent of zero is almost nothing.

Re: Weird crashes (7.4-70)

Goran Topic
On Friday, August 23, 2013 9:09:17 PM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Sounds like the problem that is fixed by patch 7.4.003

Thank you. I rolled back to 7.3-66 until the fix hits Homebrew.

Goran