Weird window resizing behavior when creating a vertical split window

Weird window resizing behavior when creating a vertical split window

Kay Zheng
Hi vim_use,

I noticed a strange behavior while creating vertical windows.

Sometimes when a vertical window is created between two other vertical windows, all three windows are improperly resized to a height of only one row.

I managed to 100% reproduce this behavior in 8.0.0342 and 8.0.0473 (the most recent version from GitHub master when I'm writing this post), with this script:

     https://gist.github.com/l04m33/f7fef348143785c2bb6e119b212a4bc5

Just run Vim with '-u NONE' and source wrong_window_size.vim. You'll see what I mean.

The wired thing is, the window sizes became correct after I removed the setbufvar() calls in SpawnBufferWindow().

I also tried it with 8.0.0324 (the default version came with Fedora 24), but the problem didn't appear.

Maybe some code between 8.0.0324 and 8.0.0342 messed it up?

Regards,

Kay Z.

Re: Weird window resizing behavior when creating a vertical split window

Bram Moolenaar

Kay Z wrote:

> I noticed a strange behavior while creating vertical windows.
>
> Sometimes when a vertical window is created between two other vertical windows, all three windows are improperly resized to a height of only one row.
>
> I managed to 100% reproduce this behavior in 8.0.0342 and 8.0.0473 (the most recent version from GitHub master when I'm writing this post), with this script:
>
>      https://gist.github.com/l04m33/f7fef348143785c2bb6e119b212a4bc5
>
> Just run Vim with '-u NONE' and source wrong_window_size.vim. You'll see what I mean.
>
> The wired thing is, the window sizes became correct after I removed the setbufvar() calls in SpawnBufferWindow().
>
> I also tried it with 8.0.0324 (the default version came with Fedora 24), but the problem didn't appear.
>
> Maybe some code between 8.0.0324 and 8.0.0342 messed it up?

Thanks for the reproducible example.  The problem is in restoring the
window layout after temporarily creating a window to set the option.
I can fix it.

156. You forget your friend's name but not her e-mail address.

On Mar 19, 2017 5:20 AM, "Bram Moolenaar" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for the reproducible example.  The problem is in restoring the
window layout after temporarily creating a window to set the option.
I can fix it.

Thank you very much for this, and every other bug you fixed :)