What are these symbols in my Vim gutter?

What are these symbols in my Vim gutter?

Carl Caulkett
macOS 10.14 Mojave beta 10
NeoVim 0.3.1

I've installed the spf13.vim package from Steve Francia, and while it is excellent, there are a few features that I would like to remove, as Steve himself suggests.

One of which is the ! and + symbols which appear in the gutter in the attached image. They look like they are Git related showing added and deleted lines or something like that.

Can anyone have a look at the image and identify whether it comes from a vim plugin or whether it is from a config setting in .vimrc.

Thanks,
Carl

Screenshot 2018-09-13 at 00.46.22.png (109K) Download Attachment

Re: What are these symbols in my Vim gutter?

Tony Mechelynck
On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 2:24 AM Carl Caulkett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> macOS 10.14 Mojave beta 10
> NeoVim 0.3.1
>

> I've installed the spf13.vim package from Steve Francia, and while it is excellent, there are a few features that I would like to remove, as Steve himself suggests.
>
> One of which is the ! and + symbols which appear in the gutter in the attached image. They look like they are Git related showing added and deleted lines or something like that.
>
> Can anyone have a look at the image and identify whether it comes from a vim plugin or whether it is from a config setting in .vimrc.
>
> Thanks,
> Carl

These ! and + signs in the margin look like "signs". See ":help sign.txt".

To know if they are, use
    :sign list
(followed by Enter), it will tell you about all the currently defined
signs and their attributes. Maybe (I'm not sure, I don't use signs
myself) it will tell you where they were defined if you use ":verbose
sign list" instead.

See also
    :help 'signcolumn'

Here too, ":verbose set signcolumn?" will tell you where it was set,
unless it was just left at its default (which is "auto") or unless it
was last set manually from the command-line.

Re: What are these symbols in my Vim gutter?

Christian Brabandt

On Mi, 12 Sep 2018, Carl Caulkett wrote:

> macOS 10.14 Mojave beta 10
> NeoVim 0.3.1
>

> I've installed the spf13.vim package from Steve Francia, and while it is excellent, there are a few features that I would like to remove, as Steve himself suggests.

Are you aware that spf13 has not been maintained for years?

> One of which is the ! and + symbols which appear in the gutter in the attached image. They look like they are Git related showing added and deleted lines or something like that.
>
> Can anyone have a look at the image and identify whether it comes from a vim plugin or whether it is from a config setting in .vimrc.

Looks like the git-gutter plugin. If you don't like it, do not load the
plugin (however this is done in spf13).

BTW: In general it is considered good practice to start with a scratch
vimrc configuration file and only add whatever you need. If you have a
need for a special plugin, install it from the maintainer directly, so
you can get support from him if something is not working as expected.

Those Vim distributions (spf13, SpaceVim, Janus) just add another
complexity layer on top of Vim and often force you to use maps and
commands that might be unintuitive (or even hide some of Vims native
commands). So don't follow that route.

Best,
Christian
--
Nachrichtensprecher fangen stets mit "Guten Abend" an und brauchen
dann 15 Minuten, um zu erklären, daß es kein guter Abend ist.

On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 1:39:09 AM UTC+1, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> These ! and + signs in the margin look like "signs". See ":help sign.txt".
>
> To know if they are, use
>     :sign list
> (followed by Enter), it will tell you about all the currently defined
> signs and their attributes. Maybe (I'm not sure, I don't use signs
> myself) it will tell you where they were defined if you use ":verbose
> sign list" instead.
>
> See also
>     :help 'signcolumn'
>
> Here too, ":verbose set signcolumn?" will tell you where it was set,
> unless it was just left at its default (which is "auto") or unless it
> was last set manually from the command-line.
Thanks Tony, I thnk you are right. I did `:sign list` and it returned a whole heap of stuff. I've just got to work out how to clear the list now!

On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 7:08:43 AM UTC+1, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> BTW: In general it is considered good practice to start with a scratch
> vimrc configuration file and only add whatever you need. If you have a
> need for a special plugin, install it from the maintainer directly, so
> you can get support from him if something is not working as expected.

Thanks for the reply Christian,

I'm quickly beginning to think you are right! I'm tempted to do as you suggest and start from scratch and use the spf13 .vimrc as a reference text from which I can copy those features I actually want.

Thanks for your words of wisdom!

Cheers,
Carl