What does <M-i> mean?

Ernest Obusek
The COMMENT.vim plugin uses this to add/remove #if blocks.  I have
the plugin in my ~/.vim/plugin directory, but I can't get it to
work.  I thought <M-I> means ESC-i, but that doesn't work.  I tried a
literal M-i, but that also didn't work.

Thanks!

Ernest

Re: What does <M-i> mean?

Tim Chase-2
> The COMMENT.vim plugin uses this to add/remove #if blocks.  I
> have  the plugin in my ~/.vim/plugin directory, but I can't
> get it to  work.  I thought <M-I> means ESC-i, but that
> doesn't work.  I tried a  literal M-i, but that also didn't
> work.

That's a common notation for Meta+i which on many boxes is the
same thing as Alt+i.  Some terminals (mostly older 7-bit ones)
have problems with high-ascii characters that are used to
transmit these (usually the same as the low-ascii character with
the 8th bit set, in this case, 0x49(I) + 0x80 = 0xC9).

For a bit more, see

        :help <M-
        :he <>

Hope this helps,

Re: What does <M-i> mean?

R Sam
In <M-I> the M stands for Meta key. On a sun keyboard I believe this
is usually the
key with the diamond on it.

On a 101-key keyboard I believe this is the Alt key.

On a 104-key keyboard I believe this is the Win key but I have seen
sometimes the
Alt key is mapped as the Meta key.

So it might help for you to try the Alt-I key combination.

Regards,
-Sam

On 10/31/05, Ernest Obusek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The COMMENT.vim plugin uses this to add/remove #if blocks.  I have
> the plugin in my ~/.vim/plugin directory, but I can't get it to
> work.  I thought <M-I> means ESC-i, but that doesn't work.  I tried a
> literal M-i, but that also didn't work.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ernest

Re: What does <M-i> mean?

Ernest Obusek
I tried doing this but I'm using a Powerbook and there is no Alt
key.  The Option key is supposed to work like an Alt key but it just
causes vim to display a strange character when I type <Option-i>.  I
modified the script to use <leader>i and that works.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Ernest