What is location list?

'Suresh Govindachar' via vim_use

Hello,

Looked at :help for new-location-list, location-list-window, lopen etc.
but am still clueless about what location list is.

No matter what I tried, :lopen always reports E776.

What exactly is "list of positions in files" and how can I end up with a
non-empty set of locations?

Thanks,

--Suresh

Re: What is location list?

Tony Mechelynck
On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 8:23 AM, 'Suresh Govindachar' via vim_use
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Looked at :help for new-location-list, location-list-window, lopen etc. but
> am still clueless about what location list is.
>
> No matter what I tried, :lopen always reports E776.
>
> What exactly is "list of positions in files" and how can I end up with a
> non-empty set of locations?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Suresh

A location list is a window-local quickfix list. You get one after
some commands like :lvimgrep :lgrep :lhelpgrep :lmake etc. which
create a location list instead of a quickfix list like the
corresponding :vimgrep :grep :helpgrep :make etc. do.

For more details see :help quickfix.txt