What is "Mark and Gather" as it relates to outlines?

What is "Mark and Gather" as it relates to outlines?

Steve Litt
Hi all,

On Outliners.Com I recently read about a feature called "Mark and Gather".
It's supposed to be really handy, but it was from the golden age and is
missing on modern outliners. Anyone know what it is, and why it's so handy?

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author:
   * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
   * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
   * Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
   * Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
   * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore
http://www.troubleshooters.com/utp/tcourses.htm

Re: What is "Mark and Gather" as it relates to outlines?

Stefan Schmiedl
Steve Litt (24.06. 16:12):

> Hi all,
>
> On Outliners.Com I recently read about a feature called "Mark and Gather".
> It's supposed to be really handy, but it was from the golden age and is
> missing on modern outliners. Anyone know what it is, and why it's so handy?

When I'm cleaning up my mailbox (with mutt), I usually sort by sender or
subject, skim the list and hit "d" on deletable messages. That's "mark".
After this, I type "$" and all marked messages are deleted. That's
"gather", or something like that.

The idea is to make manual tagging easy, so you don't have to
pre-plan naming conventions and what not else ...

s.

--
Stefan Schmiedl

Re: What is "Mark and Gather" as it relates to outlines?

Ross Boylan
On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 16:12 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Outliners.Com I recently read about a feature called "Mark and Gather".
> It's supposed to be really handy, but it was from the golden age and is
> missing on modern outliners. Anyone know what it is, and why it's so handy?
>
> SteveT

Marking allows you to mark arbitrary elements (that is, headings) in the
outline.  They need not be contiguous, at the same level, etc.

Gather allows you to gather all these together in one place.  Grandview
offers various options: move them all below the current headline at the
same level, move them all as subheads of the current headline, copy
them, clone them (I think).

Moving/copying whatever a headline will move all subheads of that item
as well.

It permits easy, free-form reorganization of the outline.  My main use
of it is taking items from my todo list and putting them on my done
list.

Re: What is "Mark and Gather" as it relates to outlines?

Samuel Wright
> Marking allows you to mark arbitrary elements (that is, headings) in the
> outline.  They need not be contiguous, at the same level, etc.
> Gather allows you to gather all these together in one place.  Grandview
> offers various options: move them all below the current headline at the
> same level, move them all as subheads of the current headline, copy
> them, clone them (I think).

Hi Guys,

How is this implemented in vo? I can't see anything related to it in
the vo vim help.

Cheers,
Sam

Re: What is "Mark and Gather" as it relates to outlines?

Peter Princz
Sam (and all),

On 28/06/06, Samuel Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Marking allows you to mark arbitrary elements (that is, headings) in the
> > outline.  They need not be contiguous, at the same level, etc.
> > Gather allows you to gather all these together in one place.  Grandview
> > offers various options: move them all below the current headline at the
> > same level, move them all as subheads of the current headline, copy
> > them, clone them (I think).
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> How is this implemented in vo? I can't see anything related to it in
> the vo vim help.
>
> Cheers,
> Sam

I'm not sure about the vo documentation, but for the most intuitive way is:
- open >1 windows in vim with :split
- close the other (bottom) instance with ,,1 and G to the bottom of my
outline file, where there is a piece:
"...
Hoisting and indent manipulation
        // === Hoisting start ===
        // === Hoisting end ===
..."
- open this sandbox and dd the desired lines manually from the top
window and yank into the bottom one
- maintain their indentation one-by-one

So in short, here I fall back to good-old vi features, and am happy with it.
I don't need anything specific from vo.

(Sorry to say, but the same issue compared Norton Commander with MS
Explorer: you have only one window instead of the two predefined
panes, but you can start arbitrary number of them. So what seems to be
a constraint for the first sight, is actually more flexible... :o)

Have a nice day,
  Peter

--
Keep cool. Develop in total darkness.

Re: What is "Mark and Gather" as it relates to outlines?

Noel Henson
On Wednesday 28 June 2006 02:21, Samuel Wright wrote:

> > Marking allows you to mark arbitrary elements (that is, headings) in
> > the outline.  They need not be contiguous, at the same level, etc.
> > Gather allows you to gather all these together in one place.
> > Grandview offers various options: move them all below the current
> > headline at the same level, move them all as subheads of the current
> > headline, copy them, clone them (I think).
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> How is this implemented in vo? I can't see anything related to it in
> the vo vim help.
>
> Cheers,
> Sam

It's something that hasn't been implemented yet. I have experimented with
it but it's still clunky.

Noel

Vim 7 magic?

Tim Roberts
I recently upgraded to vim 7.0 on my WinXP box.  I did not install a new
version of vimoutliner -- I just kept the same old files.

Much to my surprise, when I bring up my outlines, I find that the
indentation level is now shown in a narrow column at the far left.
That's very cool, but why is it there?  If this is a VIM 7.0 featurette,
how did the old outliner know to use it?  Or is this something that has
been there all along, but it was just disabled by default?

--
Tim Roberts, [hidden email]
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Re: Vim 7 magic?

Noel Henson
Tim,

It has been there all along and enabled. It used to show a | or a + (for
folded headings). Now it shows the indentation level of the line if it
isn't folded. You can turn it off by:
set foldcolumn=0

Noel