What is the meaning of 'S>' ? (was "Gutter on the left with 'S>' in it")

What is the meaning of 'S>' ? (was "Gutter on the left with 'S>' in it")

J.A. de Vries

Hi,

> A couple of days ago my vim started doing something it hadn't done
> before. I have been playing with spell and locales, so chances are it
> has something to do with that. I couldn't find anything explaining it
> through Google or on the vim website, so here I am hoping someone on
> the list (now it is up again, thanks for that Bram!) can tell me what
> is happening.

> Thing is, some seconds after I start editing files in (g)vim a
> "gutter" on the left side pops up. Just like the foldcolumn. In fact
> at first I mistakenly thought that was exactly what it was. This
> "gutter" is empty save for one 'S>' symbol. What is vim trying to tell
> me, and what do I need to do to make it go away?

> This is vim 7.1-022+1 on Debian GNU/Linux "testing".

To follow up on my previous message:

I've undone all changes I made to my locale and disabled spell, but
still this 'S>' symbol keeps popping up, so my first guess that it might
have something to do with that has proven to be wrong. Further Googling
didn't turn anything helpful up either. Just to make sure I hadn't
overlooked any recent changes I moved my vimrc out of the way, but even
that didn't help.

If I only knew what it meant I could try to do a more targeted search,
but I don't.

Can anyone on the list enlighten me?

Any help would be appreciated.

Grx HdV

Re: What is the meaning of 'S>' ? (was "Gutter on the left with 'S>' in it")

Tony Mechelynck

J.A. de Vries wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> A couple of days ago my vim started doing something it hadn't done
>> before. I have been playing with spell and locales, so chances are it
>> has something to do with that. I couldn't find anything explaining it
>> through Google or on the vim website, so here I am hoping someone on
>> the list (now it is up again, thanks for that Bram!) can tell me what
>> is happening.
>
>> Thing is, some seconds after I start editing files in (g)vim a
>> "gutter" on the left side pops up. Just like the foldcolumn. In fact
>> at first I mistakenly thought that was exactly what it was. This
>> "gutter" is empty save for one 'S>' symbol. What is vim trying to tell
>> me, and what do I need to do to make it go away?
>
>> This is vim 7.1-022+1 on Debian GNU/Linux "testing".
>
> To follow up on my previous message:
>
> I've undone all changes I made to my locale and disabled spell, but
> still this 'S>' symbol keeps popping up, so my first guess that it might
> have something to do with that has proven to be wrong. Further Googling
> didn't turn anything helpful up either. Just to make sure I hadn't
> overlooked any recent changes I moved my vimrc out of the way, but even
> that didn't help.
>
> If I only knew what it meant I could try to do a more targeted search,
> but I don't.
>
> Can anyone on the list enlighten me?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Grx HdV

For anything about Vim's behaviour, searching the help is usually better than
googling.

What you're seeing looks like a sign to me. Try the following:

        :help sign.txt
        :help sign-intro
        :help :sign-list
        :help :sign-unplace

I was part of that strange race of people aptly described as spending
their lives doing things they detest to make money they don't want to
buy things they don't need to impress people they dislike.
                -- Emile Henry Gauvreay

Re: What is the meaning of 'S>' ? (was "Gutter on the left with 'S>' in it")

J.A. de Vries

Hi Tony,

> For anything about Vim's behaviour, searching the help is usually better than
> googling.

You are right and I did try that first, but then you need to know what
to look for, which I didn't.

I also did try a "grep 'S\(>\|&\)'
/usr/share/doc/vim-doc/doc/html/*", again without finding any
references.

> What you're seeing looks like a sign to me. Try the following:
>
> :help sign.txt
> :help sign-intro
> :help :sign-list
> :help :sign-unplace

After reading the info on signs I think you're right, as it fits what I
am seeing.

A ':sign list' shows signs for all the standard alphabetic marks. This
includes a line ShowMarkS text=S> texthl=ShowMarksHL.

However if I move my vimrc out of the way and open a new and empty file
the 'S>' sign still pops up after a few seconds. It could be the
system-wide config has changed recently, but as far as I can determine
that's not the case. Besides the system-wide (g)vimrc is essentially
empty. (Compile-time defaults?)

To be sure unplacing all signs makes the column and the symbol
disappear, confirming you are correct. But now I am left with the
question, what is placing this sign? It started after I began
experimenting with spell, but disabling spell does not stop this sign
from popping up.

Thanks for the effort. Your help is much appreciated.

J.A. de Vries wrote:

> Hi Tony,
>
>> For anything about Vim's behaviour, searching the help is usually better than
>> googling.
>
> You are right and I did try that first, but then you need to know what
> to look for, which I didn't.
>
> I also did try a "grep 'S\(>\|&\)'
> /usr/share/doc/vim-doc/doc/html/*", again without finding any
> references.
>
>> What you're seeing looks like a sign to me. Try the following:
>>
>> :help sign.txt
>> :help sign-intro
>> :help :sign-list
>> :help :sign-unplace
>
> After reading the info on signs I think you're right, as it fits what I
> am seeing.
>
> A ':sign list' shows signs for all the standard alphabetic marks. This
> includes a line ShowMarkS text=S> texthl=ShowMarksHL.
>
> However if I move my vimrc out of the way and open a new and empty file
> the 'S>' sign still pops up after a few seconds. It could be the
> system-wide config has changed recently, but as far as I can determine
> that's not the case. Besides the system-wide (g)vimrc is essentially
> empty. (Compile-time defaults?)
>
> To be sure unplacing all signs makes the column and the symbol
> disappear, confirming you are correct. But now I am left with the
> question, what is placing this sign? It started after I began
> experimenting with spell, but disabling spell does not stop this sign
> from popping up.
>
> Thanks for the effort. Your help is much appreciated.
>
> Grx HdV

Do you see anything "unusual" in the output of the ":scriptnames" command? Or
an unusual mapping or autocommand? Try the following

        :redir > vim.log
        :echo "----- Script names -----"
        :scriptnames
        :echo "----- Mappings -----"
        :verbose map
        :verbose map!
        :echo "----- Abbreviations -----"
        :verbose abbr
        :verbose au
        :redir END

then examine the file vim.log. You may want to open it in Vim, searching for

        /sign

BLISS is ignorance

Re: What is the meaning of 'S>' ? (was "Gutter on the left with 'S>' in it")

Charles E Campbell Jr

Tony Mechelynck wrote:

>J.A. de Vries wrote:
>

>>Hi Tony,
>>

>>>For anything about Vim's behaviour, searching the help is usually better than
>>>googling.
>>>

>>You are right and I did try that first, but then you need to know what
>>to look for, which I didn't.
>>
>>I also did try a "grep 'S\(>\|&\)'
>>/usr/share/doc/vim-doc/doc/html/*", again without finding any
>>references.
>>

>>>What you're seeing looks like a sign to me. Try the following:
>>>
>>> :help sign.txt
>>> :help sign-intro
>>> :help :sign-list
>>> :help :sign-unplace
>>>

>>After reading the info on signs I think you're right, as it fits what I
>>am seeing.
>>
>>A ':sign list' shows signs for all the standard alphabetic marks. This
>>includes a line ShowMarkS text=S> texthl=ShowMarksHL.
>>
>>However if I move my vimrc out of the way and open a new and empty file
>>the 'S>' sign still pops up after a few seconds. It could be the
>>system-wide config has changed recently, but as far as I can determine
>>that's not the case. Besides the system-wide (g)vimrc is essentially
>>empty. (Compile-time defaults?)
>>
>>To be sure unplacing all signs makes the column and the symbol
>>disappear, confirming you are correct. But now I am left with the
>>question, what is placing this sign? It started after I began
>>experimenting with spell, but disabling spell does not stop this sign
>>from popping up.
>>
>>Thanks for the effort. Your help is much appreciated.
>>
>>Grx HdV
>>

>Do you see anything "unusual" in the output of the ":scriptnames" command? Or
>an unusual mapping or autocommand? Try the following
>
> :redir > vim.log
> :echo "----- Script names -----"
> :scriptnames
> :echo "----- Mappings -----"
> :verbose map
> :verbose map!
> :echo "----- Abbreviations -----"
> :verbose abbr
> :verbose au
> :redir END
>
>then examine the file vim.log. You may want to open it in Vim, searching for
>
> /sign

Possibly something is in a $HOME/.viminfo file, too.  Removing/deleting
it will, in that case, fix it.

Regards,
Chip Campbell

On 2007-07-22 @ 02:47:50 (week 29) Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> Do you see anything "unusual" in the output of the ":scriptnames" command? Or
> an unusual mapping or autocommand? Try the following
>
> :redir > vim.log
> :echo "----- Script names -----"
> :scriptnames
> :echo "----- Mappings -----"
> :verbose map
> :verbose map!
> :echo "----- Abbreviations -----"
> :verbose abbr
> :verbose au
> :redir END
>
> then examine the file vim.log. You may want to open it in Vim, searching for
>
> /sign

I just did what you asked. The pattern "sign" was not found in the
output.

I also searched the viminfo file, but apart from the history of related
comments I gave while looking for the culprit nothing related to signs
can be found in there either.

I know it is a bit of a poor mans debug method, but I am gonna move my
~/.vim directory, ~/.viminfo and ~/.vimrc files out of the way and start
moving all file back one by one. Maybe that'll give me a clue what is
causing this behavior. If the behavior persists after removing
everything out of the way at least I'll know it must be the system-wide
files or something set at compile time. However I'd not expect that.
Others beside me would have asked about it then on the Debian lists, I
think...

Thanks for helping!

Grx HdV

Re: What is the meaning of 'S>' ? (was "Gutter on the left with 'S>' in it")

Tony Mechelynck

J.A. de Vries wrote:
[...]
> I know it is a bit of a poor mans debug method, but I am gonna move my
> ~/.vim directory, ~/.viminfo and ~/.vimrc files out of the way and start
> moving all file back one by one. Maybe that'll give me a clue what is
> causing this behavior. If the behavior persists after removing
> everything out of the way at least I'll know it must be the system-wide
> files or something set at compile time. However I'd not expect that.
> Others beside me would have asked about it then on the Debian lists, I
> think...

Aha! You're on Debian! They're famous for adding unsupported configurations
(and sometimes even unsupported binary patches) to the software they distribute...

You can find where the system-wide configuration files are by looking near the
middle of the output of the ":version" command.

You can also debug Vim script by using

        vim -D

see the help chapter starting at ":help debug-scripts".

> Thanks for helping!
>
> Grx HdV

My pleasure.

"I argue very well.  Ask any of my remaining friends.  I can win an
argument on any topic, against any opponent.  People know this, and
steer clear of me at parties.  Often, as a sign of their great respect,
they don't even invite me."
                -- Dave Barry

Re: What is the meaning of 'S>' ? (was "Gutter on the left with 'S>' in it") [solved]

J.A. de Vries

On 2007-07-24 @ 22:47:12 (week 30) Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> Aha! You're on Debian! They're famous for adding unsupported configurations
> (and sometimes even unsupported binary patches) to the software they distribute...

I can't deny that. It's just that I really like this distribution (for technical
and philosophical reasons). And to be honest I am too lazy to switch to
another platform (although OpenSolaris came close).

> You can find where the system-wide configuration files are by looking near the
> middle of the output of the ":version" command.

Ah, I hadn't realized that. Happily I know my systems well enough to
find what I need (almost) by heart.

> You can also debug Vim script by using
>
> vim -D

I dimly remember reading about that, but have to admit I had forgotten
about it by now.

> see the help chapter starting at ":help debug-scripts".

Thanks. I will.

Meanwhile I did what I wrote in my previous message and found the
culprit by simple elimination. I proved to be the showmarks.vim plugin
(with such a name I should have guessed). What I still don't understand
though is why the problems started just now. I have been using this
plugin for years and its timestamp is more than three and a half years
old so I am quite sure nothing has been changed to it recently. Must be
some interaction, I guess...

Thanks again for putting me on the right track.

Grx HdV