When is a window's statusline updated?

Andrew Stewart
Hello!

I have read the statusline help docs but I wasn't able to find any mention of how often a window's statusline is updated, especially when several windows are open in splits.

I'd be most grateful if somebody could enlighten me.

Many thanks!

Andrew Stewart

Re: When is a window's statusline updated?

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov
> Hello!
>
> I have read the statusline help docs but I wasn't able to find any mention of how often a window's statusline is updated, especially when several windows are open in splits.
>
> I'd be most grateful if somebody could enlighten me.

I guess the answer is buried in the source code only. I know that

a) Current window’s statusline is updated on

1. typing something
2. changing mode
3. changing some options, but I can’t give you a list
4. running :redrawstatus
5. …

b) All windows’ status lines are updated on

1. changing windows (though not sure, maybe only two of them are updated)
2. resizing windows (again not sure, but windows’ whose sizes change
will have it updated)
3. running :redrawstatus! and :redraw[!]
4. …

> Many thanks!
>
> Andrew Stewart

> ---

Re: When is a window's statusline updated?

Andrew Stewart
> On 13 May 2016, at 3:45 pm, Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I guess the answer is buried in the source code only. I know that
>
> a) Current window’s statusline is updated on
>
> 1. typing something
> 2. changing mode
> 3. changing some options, but I can’t give you a list
> 4. running :redrawstatus
> 5. …
>
> b) All windows’ status lines are updated on
>
> 1. changing windows (though not sure, maybe only two of them are updated)
> 2. resizing windows (again not sure, but windows’ whose sizes change
> will have it updated)
> 3. running :redrawstatus! and :redraw[!]
> 4. …

Thank you very much.  That's most helpful.