When selecting text the cursor jumps in a weird way

When selecting text the cursor jumps in a weird way

Manfred Lotz-2
I don't know exactly how to describe my problem.

I have started gvim and loaded a file.

The cursor goes to line 215 and the  last visible lines in the gvim
window are line numbers 215 and 216.

Now I type V, and go down to select lines of text.

Very quickly, the buffer gets redisplayed in a way that now lines 219
and 220 are at the beginning of the gvim window which is weird as lines
215-218 are no longer visible. This is very irritating.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

--
Manfred

Re: When selecting text the cursor jumps in a weird way

Wolf Bogacz
This is just a theory based on what I understand your symptoms to be.

Check the settings and their meanings of scrolloff and scrolljump, and where they are/were set.

:verbose set scrolloff?
:verbose set scrolljump?

Then interpret their meanings as they apply to your conditions.
:he scrolloff
and
:he scrolljump

On Sat, Apr 27, 2019 at 3:40 PM Manfred Lotz <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't know exactly how to describe my problem.

I have started gvim and loaded a file.

The cursor goes to line 215 and theĀ  last visible lines in the gvim
window are line numbers 215 and 216.

Now I type V, and go down to select lines of text.

Very quickly, the buffer gets redisplayed in a way that now lines 219
and 220 are at the beginning of the gvim window which is weird as lines
215-218 are no longer visible. This is very irritating.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

--
Manfred

Re: When selecting text the cursor jumps in a weird way

Manfred Lotz-2
On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 21:23:58 -0400
Wolf Bogacz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is just a theory based on what I understand your symptoms to be.
>
> Check the settings and their meanings of scrolloff and scrolljump, and
> where they are/were set.
>
> :verbose set scrolloff?
> :verbose set scrolljump?
>
> Then interpret their meanings as they apply to your conditions.
> :he scrolloff
> and
> :he scrolljump

Very interesting. Thanks for this.

Now, I found out what happenend.

After I started the selection, i.e pressed <Shift-v> I immediately
pressed the down arrow key. The Shift key wasn't yet released and I
ended up with <S-Down> which scrolled a half page down. This explains
why it didn't always happen.

As I never use <S-Down> I have remapped it:

  noremap <S-Up> <Up>
  noremap <S-Down> <Down>

Now things are fine.

--