Where to find fonts?

Dave Roberts
(Using WinXP)

This is more a Windows question since it also happens in Notepad - But I
use VIM/GVIM, not Notepad :)

I periodically have to edit old DOS applications that use DOS graphics -
as an example, each of the three byte numbers below represents a single
byte:

201 205 187
186     186
200 205 188

If I type that to more or use an old list program I see a doubly lined
box. If I look at it with GVIM or Notepad I see things like the
one/fourth character in the lower right column.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a (free) fixed-width font somewhere
that I could default to that would show those bytes as graphics characters.

Thanks,

- Dave

Re: Where to find fonts?

Dave Roberts
Johnny Blaze wrote:

> On 6/18/05, *Dave Roberts* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     (Using WinXP)
>
>     This is more a Windows question since it also happens in Notepad -
>     But I
>     use VIM/GVIM, not Notepad :)
>
>     I periodically have to edit old DOS applications that use DOS
>     graphics -
>     as an example, each of the three byte numbers below represents a
>     single
>     byte:
>
>     201 205 187
>     186     186
>     200 205 188
>
>     If I type that to more or use an old list program I see a doubly lined
>     box. If I look at it with GVIM or Notepad I see things like the
>     one/fourth character in the lower right column.
>
>     I was wondering if anyone knows of a (free) fixed-width font somewhere
>     that I could default to that would show those bytes as graphics
>     characters.
>

> Look for a font that supports the "Box Drawing" unicode block.  Andale
> Mono does a pretty good job.
>
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/corefonts/andale32.exe?download
>
> --
>
> .  o O pyromancer O o  .

Not bad but not quite what I was looking for. Thanks though - gave me
more places to look.

- Dave

Re: Where to find fonts?

Dave Roberts
Dave Roberts wrote:

> (Using WinXP)
>
> This is more a Windows question since it also happens in Notepad - But
> I use VIM/GVIM, not Notepad :)
>
> I periodically have to edit old DOS applications that use DOS graphics
> - as an example, each of the three byte numbers below represents a
> single byte:
>
> 201 205 187
> 186     186
> 200 205 188
>
> If I type that to more or use an old list program I see a doubly lined
> box. If I look at it with GVIM or Notepad I see things like the
> one/fourth character in the lower right column.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows of a (free) fixed-width font somewhere
> that I could default to that would show those bytes as graphics
> characters.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Dave

In case anyone else is interested I found the MS Linedraw TrueType font at:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?showtopic=380

- Dave

Re: Where to find fonts?

Jürgen Krämer

Dave Roberts wrote:

> (Using WinXP)
>
> This is more a Windows question since it also happens in Notepad - But I
> use VIM/GVIM, not Notepad :)
>
> I periodically have to edit old DOS applications that use DOS graphics -
> as an example, each of the three byte numbers below represents a single
> byte:
>
> 201 205 187
> 186     186
> 200 205 188
>
> If I type that to more or use an old list program I see a doubly lined
> box. If I look at it with GVIM or Notepad I see things like the
> one/fourth character in the lower right column.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows of a (free) fixed-width font somewhere
> that I could default to that would show those bytes as graphics characters.

you could use the Courier New provided with Windows and switch to an
encoding that contains those double line characters -- cp437, cp850 and
utf-8 are possible choices:

  :set encoding=cp850
  :set guifont=Courier\ New:h10:cDEFAULT

After that you will have to tell VIM that the file you are going to edit
is actually encoded with some "old" DOS code page, e.g. by

  :n ++enc=cp850 your-dos-file.txt

If you see gaps between vertical lines, remove them with

  :set linespace=0

Regards,
J?rgen

--
J?rgen Kr?mer                              Softwareentwicklung
HABEL GmbH & Co. KG                        mailto:[hidden email]
Hinteres ?schle 2                          Tel: +49 / 74 61 / 93 53 - 15
78604 Rietheim-Weilheim                    Fax: +49 / 74 61 / 93 53 - 99

Re: Where to find fonts?

Dave Roberts
J?rgen Kr?mer wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Dave Roberts wrote:
>

>>(Using WinXP)
>>
>>This is more a Windows question since it also happens in Notepad - But I
>>use VIM/GVIM, not Notepad :)
>>
>>I periodically have to edit old DOS applications that use DOS graphics -
>>as an example, each of the three byte numbers below represents a single
>>byte:
>>
>>201 205 187
>>186     186
>>200 205 188
>>
>>If I type that to more or use an old list program I see a doubly lined
>>box. If I look at it with GVIM or Notepad I see things like the
>>one/fourth character in the lower right column.
>>
>>I was wondering if anyone knows of a (free) fixed-width font somewhere
>>that I could default to that would show those bytes as graphics characters.
>>

>you could use the Courier New provided with Windows and switch to an
>encoding that contains those double line characters -- cp437, cp850 and
>utf-8 are possible choices:
>
>  :set encoding=cp850
>  :set guifont=Courier\ New:h10:cDEFAULT
>
>After that you will have to tell VIM that the file you are going to edit
>is actually encoded with some "old" DOS code page, e.g. by
>
>  :n ++enc=cp850 your-dos-file.txt
>
>If you see gaps between vertical lines, remove them with
>
>  :set linespace=0
>
>Regards,
>J?rgen

Sorry J?rgen,

The file I accidently sent directly to you had an error in it.

The above works perfectly for single lined boxes and double lined boxes
but doesn't handle mixed boxes (see attached - type it in DOS or use MS
Linedraw font to compare)

Thanks,

- Dave

Single lined boxes      Double lined boxes
------------------      ------------------
      ????                    ????
      ? ? ?                    ? ? ?
      ????                    ????
      ? ? ?                    ? ? ?
      ?????                    ????

Single H  Double V      Single V  Double H
------------------      ------------------
      ????                    ????
      ? ? ?                    ? ? ?
      ????                    ????
      ? ? ?                    ? ? ?
      ????                    ????

Re: Where to find fonts?

Jürgen Krämer

Hi,

Dave Roberts wrote:

> J?rgen Kr?mer wrote:
>
> > Dave Roberts wrote:
> >
> > > (Using WinXP)
> > >
> > > This is more a Windows question since it also happens in Notepad - But I
> > > use VIM/GVIM, not Notepad :)
> > >
> > > I periodically have to edit old DOS applications that use DOS graphics -
> > > as an example, each of the three byte numbers below represents a single
> > > byte:
> > >
> > > 201 205 187
> > > 186     186
> > > 200 205 188
> > >
> > > If I type that to more or use an old list program I see a doubly lined
> > > box. If I look at it with GVIM or Notepad I see things like the
> > > one/fourth character in the lower right column.
> > >
> > > I was wondering if anyone knows of a (free) fixed-width font somewhere
> > > that I could default to that would show those bytes as graphics characters.
> > >
> > you could use the Courier New provided with Windows and switch to an
> > encoding that contains those double line characters -- cp437, cp850 and
> > utf-8 are possible choices:
> >
> >  :set encoding=cp850
> >  :set guifont=Courier\ New:h10:cDEFAULT
> >
> > After that you will have to tell VIM that the file you are going to edit
> > is actually encoded with some "old" DOS code page, e.g. by
> >
> >  :n ++enc=cp850 your-dos-file.txt
> >
> > If you see gaps between vertical lines, remove them with
> >
> >  :set linespace=0
>
> That works well for the single lined boxes and almost right for the
> doubly lined boxes but doesn't handle the mixed boxes (see attached -
> type it out under DOS or use MS Linedraw font to compare)

those mixed boxes are available in code page 437, so instead of cp850
you can use cp437. Microsoft (or was it IBM?) replaced all combinations
of single and double lines with more accented letters when ISO-8859/1
(aka latin1) became more widespread (probably due to the increasing
popularity of MS-Windows (which uses an ISO-8859/1-based encoding)) to
allow an easy conversion between these encodings. They encompass the
same set of characters though on different positions.

Regards,
J?rgen

J?rgen Kr?mer wrote:

>those mixed boxes are available in code page 437, so instead of cp850
>you can use cp437. Microsoft (or was it IBM?) replaced all combinations
>of single and double lines with more accented letters when ISO-8859/1
>(aka latin1) became more widespread (probably due to the increasing
>popularity of MS-Windows (which uses an ISO-8859/1-based encoding)) to
>allow an easy conversion between these encodings. They encompass the
>same set of characters though on different positions.
>
>Regards,
>J?rgen
>
>--
>J?rgen Kr?mer                              Softwareentwicklung
>HABEL GmbH & Co. KG                        mailto:[hidden email]
>Hinteres ?schle 2                          Tel: +49 / 74 61 / 93 53 - 15
>78604 Rietheim-Weilheim                    Fax: +49 / 74 61 / 93 53 - 99

Now THAT is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

- Dave

Re: Where to find fonts?

Dave Roberts wrote:

> (Using WinXP)
>
> This is more a Windows question since it also happens in Notepad - But I
> use VIM/GVIM, not Notepad :)
>
> I periodically have to edit old DOS applications that use DOS graphics -
> as an example, each of the three byte numbers below represents a single
> byte:
>
> 201 205 187
> 186     186
> 200 205 188
>
> If I type that to more or use an old list program I see a doubly lined
> box. If I look at it with GVIM or Notepad I see things like the
> one/fourth character in the lower right column.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows of a (free) fixed-width font somewhere
> that I could default to that would show those bytes as graphics characters.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Dave

IIUC it's not a font problem but an encoding problem. Try

        :e ++enc=cp437 filename.ext

(hoping your gvim knows how to read a file using codepage 437, which is
the "IBM DOS US" codepage with full box-drawing characters).