Where to get screen movie software???

Steve Litt
Hi all,

I've seen all sorts of tutorials on the web where people make videos of their
mouse clicks etc. I'm using Ubuntu -- is there something I can just download
to make one of those screen movies?

If so, I'll do a business trip bring list dog and pony show. It's low hanging
fruit showing the value and power of VO, and it's ABSOLUTELY low hanging fruit
showing the value of checkboxes.

In a part B I'll go into my technique for outlining containers in containers
etc, to better be able to be sure everything's really packed right into the
car's trunk.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Re: Where to get screen movie software???

David J Patrick-2
Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've seen all sorts of tutorials on the web where people make videos of their
> mouse clicks etc. I'm using Ubuntu -- is there something I can just download
> to make one of those screen movies?

Ask Herb, he's done a bunch of them.

> If so, I'll do a business trip bring list dog and pony show. It's low hanging
> fruit showing the value and power of VO, and it's ABSOLUTELY low hanging fruit
> showing the value of checkboxes.

I'd love to see it.
djp

Re: Where to get screen movie software???

John Porubek
On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 12:15 PM, David J Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ask Herb, he's done a bunch of them.

Speaking of Herb's videos, do you know where we can view them? The
links in his message from January 29 are broken.

--John

John Porubek wrote:

> Speaking of Herb's videos, do you know where we can view them? The
> links in his message from January 29 are broken.

dum dum dum dum
dum dee dumm
[plays the theme music from Jeopardy]

djp

Re: Where to get screen movie software???

Herbert Sitz
John Porubek wrote
Speaking of Herb's videos, do you know where we can view them? The
links in his message from January 29 are broken.

--John
John -- Not sure what problem could be.  I remember hearing someone say they didn't work some months ago but they've always worked for me.  E.g., does this link not work for you?:

http://www.plainspokenfinancial.com/moving.htm

The videos do decent job of showing some of the stuff I've done.  Unfortunately, they're kind of slow and boring and I don't have the impetus to redo them.

-- Herb

Re: Where to get screen movie software???

Herbert Sitz
Steve Litt wrote
I've seen all sorts of tutorials on the web where people make videos of their
mouse clicks etc. I'm using Ubuntu -- is there something I can just download
to make one of those screen movies?
I don't know of any decent open source screencasting software on any platform.  I used a well-known freeware program called 'Wink' to make the VO videos I posted.  It's okay, but not as good as the commercial apps like Camtasia (which is Windows only).  Wink has both Linux and Windows versions.  The Linux version isn't hard to install, but it's not open source and I don't know if any repositories have it.  Lots of settings but I think the default settings are close to okay:

http://www.debugmode.com/wink

Hope that helps,

Herb

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 6:49 PM, hsitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John -- Not sure what problem could be.  I remember hearing someone say they
> didn't work some months ago but they've always worked for me.  E.g., does
> this link not work for you?:
>
> http://www.plainspokenfinancial.com/moving.htm
>
> The videos do decent job of showing some of the stuff I've done.
> Unfortunately, they're kind of slow and boring and I don't have the impetus
> to redo them.
>
> -- Herb

Herb,

Thanks for the response. That link does indeed work.

Just to double check, I went back to your Jan 29 message and tried the
links there again - same result as before. I got a "link broken"
message. Looking closer at the error page I saw "DNS error - cannot
find server". Seems like the same server, I thought. I then started
looking for differences between the links when I noticed that there
were 4 "w"s in the link URLs from the older message. I removed a "w"
and the link worked! Problem solved. In retrospect, it seems like I
should have noticed that before, but your new link gave me the extra
hint.

Now to find some time to review all the material. Thanks again for
giving me another link and for putting the material on the web.

--John

Re: Where to get screen movie software???

Herbert Sitz
John Porubek wrote
Herb,

Thanks for the response. That link does indeed work.
John -- Glad you got things going.

For anyone who wants to do screencasts one other video-recording solution may be Jing.  It's a product offering from the same company that makes the best full-featured screen recorder/editor (but not inexpensive), Camtasia. Studio  Jing is limited to 5 minute clips and doesn't offer extensive editing.  But most web clips are probably best at under 5 minutes and don't need editing anyway.  The free version of Jing has banner adds, I think, but otherwise should be fine.  The "Pro" version takes away the banner ads, has one-button publishing to YouTube and other sites, and integration of webcam video into the screencast.  Here's example showing how to use the webcam:
http://help.jingproject.com/capture/use-a-webcam-with-jing-pro/

I haven't used Jing, but I have Camtasia Studio and their Snagit image grabber.  They're best of breed apps, and even though I prefer open source there are times when I'm happy to pay for software.  I expect Jing is a easier to use and provides better quality videos than the open source Wink.  And paying $14.95 a year for Pro version is dirt cheap.  I'm going to check Jing out sometime soon.

Main snafu of Jing for many VO users is that it's a Windows or OSX app only, no Linux version.

-- Herb

On Thursday 15 October 2009 10:46:16 Herbert Sitz wrote:

> Main snafu of Jing for many VO users is that it's a Windows or OSX app
> only, no Linux version.
>
> -- Herb

Yeah, that leaves me out. No Macs, and the only Winbox is Win98.