Why is :E an ambiguous command after upgrading to patches through 965?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Why is :E an ambiguous command after upgrading to patches through 965?

boB Stepp
Win7-64 bit Pro, Vim 7.4 with patches 1-965.

I thought I would update Vim to the latest patches I could find.  I
got the Windows installation binary from
https://bintray.com/veegee/generic/vim_x64/#

Now that I have done this update, when I use :E to open the file
explorer I get "E464:  Ambiguous use of user-defined command."
However, :Ex works.

Can someone tell me what new feature has been added with this update
that now makes :E an ambiguous command?  The full version info
follows:

:version
VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4 (2013 Aug 10, compiled Dec 11 2015 11:38:48)
MS-Windows 64-bit GUI version with OLE support
Included patches: 1-965
Compiled by veegee@veegee-win8
Huge version with GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
+acl             +clipboard       +cursorshape     +ex_extra
-hangul_input    +listcmds        +multi_lang      +profile
+smartindent     -tcl             +visual          -xim
+arabic          +cmdline_compl   +dialog_con_gui  +extra_search
+iconv/dyn       +localmap        -mzscheme        +python/dyn
-sniff           -tgetent         +visualextra     -xterm_save
+autocmd         +cmdline_hist    +diff            +farsi
+insert_expand   +lua/dyn         +netbeans_intg   +python3/dyn
+startuptime     -termresponse    +viminfo         -xpm_w32
+balloon_eval    +cmdline_info    +digraphs        +file_in_path
+jumplist        +menu            +ole             +quickfix
+statusline      +textobjects     +vreplace
+browse          +comments        -directx         +find_in_path
+keymap          +mksession       +path_extra      +reltime
-sun_workshop    +title           +wildignore
++builtin_terms  +conceal         -dnd             +float
+langmap         +modify_fname    -perl            +rightleft
+syntax          +toolbar         +wildmenu
+byte_offset     +cryptv          -ebcdic          +folding
+libcall         +mouse           +persistent_undo -ruby
+tag_binary      +user_commands   +windows
+cindent         +cscope          +emacs_tags      -footer
+linebreak       +mouseshape      -postscript      +scrollbind
+tag_old_static  +vertsplit       +writebackup
+clientserver    +cursorbind      +eval            +gettext/dyn
+lispindent      +multi_byte      +printer         +signs
-tag_any_white   +virtualedit     -xfontset
   system vimrc file: "$VIM\vimrc"
     user vimrc file: "$HOME\_vimrc"
 2nd user vimrc file: "$HOME\vimfiles\vimrc"
 3rd user vimrc file: "$VIM\_vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME\_exrc"
  2nd user exrc file: "$VIM\_exrc"
  system gvimrc file: "$VIM\gvimrc"
    user gvimrc file: "$HOME\_gvimrc"
2nd user gvimrc file: "$HOME\vimfiles\gvimrc"
3rd user gvimrc file: "$VIM\_gvimrc"
    system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME\menu.vim"
Compilation: cl -c /W3 /nologo  -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_PATHDEF -DWIN32
-DFEAT_CSCOPE -DFEAT_NETBEANS_INTG      -DWINVER=0x0400
-D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0400  /Fo.\ObjGOUYHAMD64/ /Ox -DNDEBUG  /Zl /MT
-DFEAT_OLE -DFEAT_GUI
_W32 -DDYNAMIC_ICONV -DDYNAMIC_GETTEXT -DFEAT_LUA -DDYNAMIC_LUA
-DDYNAMIC_LUA_DLL=\"lua52.dll\" -DFEAT_PYTHON -DDYNAMIC_PYTHON
-DDYNAMIC_PYTHON_DLL=\"python27.dll\" -DFEAT_PYTHON3 -DDYNAMIC_PYTHON3
-DDYNAMIC_PY
THON3_DLL=\"python35.dll\" -DFEAT_HUGE /Fd.\ObjGOUYHAMD64/ /Zi
Linking: link /RELEASE /nologo /subsystem:windows oldnames.lib
kernel32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib gdi32.lib  comdlg32.lib
ole32.lib uuid.lib /machine:AMD64 gdi32.lib version.lib   winspool.lib
comctl32.lib ad
vapi32.lib shell32.lib  /machine:AMD64  libcmt.lib oleaut32.lib
user32.lib   /nodefaultlib:lua52.lib   /nodefaultlib:python27.lib
/nodefaultlib:python35.lib    WSock32.lib  /PDB:gvim.pdb -debug

--
boB

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why is :E an ambiguous command after upgrading to patches through 965?

Tim Chase
On 2015-12-13 20:30, boB Stepp wrote:
> Now that I have done this update, when I use :E to open the file
> explorer I get "E464:  Ambiguous use of user-defined command."
> However, :Ex works.
>
> Can someone tell me what new feature has been added with this update
> that now makes :E an ambiguous command?  The full version info
> follows:

While I'm not sure off the top of my head what it is, you should be
able to type (without hitting <enter> first)

  :E

and then hit control+D to show the possible matches.  My guess is
that something new has been added (whether in native vim or some
plugin) that also begins with ":E".

-tim


--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why is :E an ambiguous command after upgrading to patches through 965?

boB Stepp
On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 8:50 PM, Tim Chase <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2015-12-13 20:30, boB Stepp wrote:
>> Now that I have done this update, when I use :E to open the file
>> explorer I get "E464:  Ambiguous use of user-defined command."
>> However, :Ex works.
>>
>> Can someone tell me what new feature has been added with this update
>> that now makes :E an ambiguous command?  The full version info
>> follows:
>
> While I'm not sure off the top of my head what it is, you should be
> able to type (without hitting <enter> first)
>
>   :E
>
> and then hit control+D to show the possible matches.  My guess is
> that something new has been added (whether in native vim or some
> plugin) that also begins with ":E".


Thanks, Tim!  I did not know that trick.  Apparently the new command is:

:ELP {boolean-logic pattern} *:ELP*
No search is done, but the conversion from the
boolean logic pattern to the regular expression
is performed and echoed onto the display.

Which is apparently part of Logical Patterns, something I'm not
familiar with.  Since I am a relative beginner with vi/Vim, my fingers
are not particularly trained yet, so I could easily get used to typing
:Ex instead of the :E I had been typing.

Thanks again for helping me understand what was going on!



--
boB

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why is :E an ambiguous command after upgrading to patches through 965?

Tim Chase
On 2015-12-13 21:02, boB Stepp wrote:

> Thanks, Tim!  I did not know that trick.  Apparently the new
> command is:
>
> :ELP {boolean-logic pattern} *:ELP*
> No search is done, but the conversion from the
> boolean logic pattern to the regular expression
> is performed and echoed onto the display.
>
> Which is apparently part of Logical Patterns, something I'm not
> familiar with.

This sounds suspiciously like something that might come from Dr.
Chip's "LogiPat" plugin, perhaps you have that installed and upgraded
it at some point (I have it available, but it's a pretty old version
without an ":ELP" command to ?

If that's the case, and push come to shove, you can un-command it with

   :delcommand ELP

to get your unambiguity back.  Alternatively, if you don't use the
LogiPat plugin, you should be able to disable it to cut it off at the
pass.

-tim


--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why is :E an ambiguous command after upgrading to patches through 965?

boB Stepp
On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 10:00 PM, Tim Chase <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This sounds suspiciously like something that might come from Dr.
> Chip's "LogiPat" plugin, perhaps you have that installed and upgraded
> it at some point (I have it available, but it's a pretty old version
> without an ":ELP" command to ?

When I looked at the help, its version history is a little bizarre
looking to me:

3. LogiPat History *logipat-history*

v3 Sep 25, 2006 * LP_Or() fixed; it now encapsulates its output
                 in \%(...\) parentheses
  Dec 12, 2011 * |:ELP| added
* "" is mapped to a single " and left inside patterns
v2 May 31, 2005 * LPF and LogiPatFlags commands weren't working
v1 May 23, 2005 * initial release

> If that's the case, and push come to shove, you can un-command it with
>
>    :delcommand ELP
>
> to get your unambiguity back.  Alternatively, if you don't use the
> LogiPat plugin, you should be able to disable it to cut it off at the
> pass.

I don't use it, but perhaps something else does?  I have (to date)
installed all of my few plugins with Vundle.  This appears to be
something part of the new build I just installed (as mentioned in my
original email).  I will probably use your delcommand suggestion.  I
presume this is reversible?

--
boB

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why is :E an ambiguous command after upgrading to patches through 965?

Tony Mechelynck
In reply to this post by Tim Chase
On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 5:00 AM, Tim Chase <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2015-12-13 21:02, boB Stepp wrote:
>> Thanks, Tim!  I did not know that trick.  Apparently the new
>> command is:
>>
>> :ELP {boolean-logic pattern} *:ELP*
>> No search is done, but the conversion from the
>> boolean logic pattern to the regular expression
>> is performed and echoed onto the display.
>>
>> Which is apparently part of Logical Patterns, something I'm not
>> familiar with.
>
> This sounds suspiciously like something that might come from Dr.
> Chip's "LogiPat" plugin, perhaps you have that installed and upgraded
> it at some point (I have it available, but it's a pretty old version
> without an ":ELP" command to ?
>
> If that's the case, and push come to shove, you can un-command it with
>
>    :delcommand ELP
>
> to get your unambiguity back.  Alternatively, if you don't use the
> LogiPat plugin, you should be able to disable it to cut it off at the
> pass.
>
> -tim

Yes, not only that's part of Dr. Chip's LogiPat plugin, but that
plugin is now (I don't know since when) distributed with Vim;
therefore it now lives in $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/ and its help in
$VIMRUNTIME/doc/. If you want to use :delcommand on it, you would have
to do that after the plugin has been sourced, thus maybe in a VimEnter
autocommand set up in your vimrc, or else in some after-plugin (see
":help after-directory", and I disagree with the help where it says
that after-directories are "rarely needed"), let's say (on Linux)
~/.vim/after/plugin/logipat.vim or (on Windows, but in Vim notation)
$HOME/vimfiles/after/plugin/logipat.vim

I do not recommend it though.

Best regards,
Tony.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why is :E an ambiguous command after upgrading to patches through 965?

Charles Campbell
Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 5:00 AM, Tim Chase <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 2015-12-13 21:02, boB Stepp wrote:
>>> Thanks, Tim!  I did not know that trick.  Apparently the new
>>> command is:
>>>
>>> :ELP {boolean-logic pattern} *:ELP*
>>> No search is done, but the conversion from the
>>> boolean logic pattern to the regular expression
>>> is performed and echoed onto the display.
>>>
>>> Which is apparently part of Logical Patterns, something I'm not
>>> familiar with.
>> This sounds suspiciously like something that might come from Dr.
>> Chip's "LogiPat" plugin, perhaps you have that installed and upgraded
>> it at some point (I have it available, but it's a pretty old version
>> without an ":ELP" command to ?
>>
>> If that's the case, and push come to shove, you can un-command it with
>>
>>    :delcommand ELP
>>
>> to get your unambiguity back.  Alternatively, if you don't use the
>> LogiPat plugin, you should be able to disable it to cut it off at the
>> pass.
>>
>> -tim
> Yes, not only that's part of Dr. Chip's LogiPat plugin, but that
> plugin is now (I don't know since when) distributed with Vim;
> therefore it now lives in $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/ and its help in
> $VIMRUNTIME/doc/. If you want to use :delcommand on it, you would have
> to do that after the plugin has been sourced, thus maybe in a VimEnter
> autocommand set up in your vimrc, or else in some after-plugin (see
> ":help after-directory", and I disagree with the help where it says
> that after-directories are "rarely needed"), let's say (on Linux)
> ~/.vim/after/plugin/logipat.vim or (on Windows, but in Vim notation)
> $HOME/vimfiles/after/plugin/logipat.vim
>
To easily disable LogiPat: put

  let loaded_logiPat= 1

in your .vimrc.  That will prevent logiPat.vim from loading.  Of course,
to re-enable it again, just remove that line (or comment it out).

OTOH, you might want to learn what logiPat provides.  For example,
assume you want to find a line with two patterns in it:

:LP "pat1" && "pat2"

will find such a line (assuming it exists, of course).

Regards,
Chip Campbell

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why is :E an ambiguous command after upgrading to patches through 965?

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov


2015-12-15 0:44 GMT+03:00 Charles Campbell <[hidden email]>:
Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 5:00 AM, Tim Chase <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 2015-12-13 21:02, boB Stepp wrote:
>>> Thanks, Tim!  I did not know that trick.  Apparently the new
>>> command is:
>>>
>>> :ELP {boolean-logic pattern} *:ELP*
>>> No search is done, but the conversion from the
>>> boolean logic pattern to the regular expression
>>> is performed and echoed onto the display.
>>>
>>> Which is apparently part of Logical Patterns, something I'm not
>>> familiar with.
>> This sounds suspiciously like something that might come from Dr.
>> Chip's "LogiPat" plugin, perhaps you have that installed and upgraded
>> it at some point (I have it available, but it's a pretty old version
>> without an ":ELP" command to ?
>>
>> If that's the case, and push come to shove, you can un-command it with
>>
>>    :delcommand ELP
>>
>> to get your unambiguity back.  Alternatively, if you don't use the
>> LogiPat plugin, you should be able to disable it to cut it off at the
>> pass.
>>
>> -tim
> Yes, not only that's part of Dr. Chip's LogiPat plugin, but that
> plugin is now (I don't know since when) distributed with Vim;
> therefore it now lives in $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/ and its help in
> $VIMRUNTIME/doc/. If you want to use :delcommand on it, you would have
> to do that after the plugin has been sourced, thus maybe in a VimEnter
> autocommand set up in your vimrc, or else in some after-plugin (see
> ":help after-directory", and I disagree with the help where it says
> that after-directories are "rarely needed"), let's say (on Linux)
> ~/.vim/after/plugin/logipat.vim or (on Windows, but in Vim notation)
> $HOME/vimfiles/after/plugin/logipat.vim
>
To easily disable LogiPat: put

  let loaded_logiPat= 1

in your .vimrc.  That will prevent logiPat.vim from loading.  Of course,
to re-enable it again, just remove that line (or comment it out).

OTOH, you might want to learn what logiPat provides.  For example,
assume you want to find a line with two patterns in it:

:LP "pat1" && "pat2"

will find such a line (assuming it exists, of course).

Regards,
Chip Campbell

​I am wondering why in this thread people are discussing what to do with logiPat when solution is simple: to use :E as :Explore​ add

    command -nargs=* -complete=dir -bar -count -bang E :Explore<bang> <args>

to the vimrc. Or to the netrw plugin (though in this case I would choose to replace `:Explore…` with `call netrw#Explore(<count>,0,0+<bang>0,<q-args>)` (rhs of the :Explore command itself)).

 

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.