Why .swp can be generated?

Peng Yu
Hi, When I open a file, a file like .somefile.swp will be generated.
But why a file .swp (without the filename) can be generated?

Peng

Re: Why .swp can be generated?

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov
> Hi, When I open a file, a file like .somefile.swp will be generated.
> But why a file .swp (without the filename) can be generated?

Extension is the part of the filename. File `.swp` does have the filename.

This can be generated when you view a directory.

> --
> Regards,
> Peng

> ---

Re: Why .swp can be generated?

Gary Johnson-4
On 2015-05-05, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi, When I open a file, a file like .somefile.swp will be generated.
> But why a file .swp (without the filename) can be generated?

You will get a file named .swp if you open a new unnamed buffer and
enter text into it.  For example, start Vim as

    $ vim

and add some text,

    ahello

Regards,